Climber vs. grounder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climber & ground

• The ground is there to get what I put down out of the way period, just stay out of my way.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I work so they can work efficiently.

Votes: 30 90.9%

• Total voters
I don't have "guys" bro. I drive to the job, do the climbing, and drive away. The "guys" belong to the particular company I'm working with that day. I do try my best to work productively with them, but sometimes that's rough. ;)

Kenn(outonalimb) isn't a primadonna climber even as a sub-he hits the ground and starts helping with clean-up. I'm working on him though-I sent him home last friday and did the last of the chipping and rake-up myself.--He'd worked a lot harder than I had up till then.

MB like I said, you drive yourself so thats different. This guy didnt even need spurs he was walking so tall.

A good working climber is worth their weight in gold. Set up material in a way that's easy for the groundcrew to deal with ; concientious about what is falling / when / where, makes groundperson look good.
A good groundperson is worth their weight in gold. Stays the hell outta the way, makes sure the climber can do their job efficiently, assists, makes climber look good.
My only 'beef' is that groundfolk are generally under paid, as if "labor" was the only aspect being considered. Bummer.

I have to agree a good hard working ground person is worth as much as a climber. So far in my seven year career in trees I have only seen two that I would pay as well as a good climber. If they can keep up with the brush as it comes down without me having to stop more then a couple of minutes I am happy. Does that make sense to you? Hopefully you get what I was trying to say.

I pay people what they are worth. If a guy doesn't enjoy heights but is very sharp and motivated he can easily out pace the pay increases of a less motivated climber. You don't have to be in the tree to lead the group. In fact I find it easier to orchestrate from the ground than the air. But I enjoy climbing more than dragging and roping.:)

as a sub I am usually in the tree, but am hired allso to run the ground for some people, especially on big removals where it is critical to keep things moving. I allso findd I'm often more effective on the ground keeping things moving. Sometimes one needs to be a bossy SOB and others a team player. I'm usually both;)

I don't drop my base rate just because I'm on the ground, and will work as long as people want me around (I'll ask if they need ti save money or need me to stay if I was brought in to climb)

DDM said:
Hmmmmmmmm Think about it this way. The Climber can do the ground mans Job. :blob2:
Try this way the groundman can do the climbers job, and do it well. Put that in your pipoe and flop on the floor. :)

The Climber is Also At a Greater Risk Than a groundman. Unless the Groundman Does something Stupid while operating the chipper...

I'm not so sure about that. The last fatality report I read had the majority of deaths from contact injuries......ie getting hit with all or part of the tree. I would think that would be a groundie.

I was foreman/lead climber for a tree service out in CA and did a lot of big technical removals. The main ground guy was a Mexican guy name Ulises. He could be lazy, manipulative and a royal pain, but when it came to running the ropes on big jobs I'd trust him with my life and did. Together we shared a unique bond, he knew what I was thinking and could understand what I wanted with a simple gesture. Sometimes I think its like the pitcher-catcher bond in baseball. Now that I'm with a new team I miss that bond and wonder if I'll ever experience that level of synchronization again. Sounds kind of touchy-feely but I don't care, too much machismo kills in this business.

Right on, MonkeyMan ! My brother & I have this synchopation / semi-telepathy when we work together. Picture he hollers down for me to send up some water and is quickly frustrated that I haven't hollered, "O.K." ... Until he looks down and sees I attached it to his climb line just before he asked. We have literally put our lives in each others' hands more times than I could count.

xander9727 said:
I'm not so sure about that. The last fatality report I read had the majority of deaths from contact injuries......ie getting hit with all or part of the tree. I would think that would be a groundie.

I think those are called "struck by" where "contact" infers electricty.

i am new to the tree business, and i find that if you have somone that enjoys work (even workign around trees) they are easier to manage and a joy to work with. before working with trees, i was a manager at a restruant for 6 years (still there for a few more months). i am the head honcho at my store, but i am no better than anyone else, just more experienced. i can still be seen cleaning the bathrooms, cleaning up vomit, and doing all the other jobs that no one wants to do.

in the tree business, i am a ground monkey. me and another guy are training to climb (both of us have probably climbed a total of 5 trees). the other guy seems to get a big head after he climbs. it is though he no longer has to clear the ground of brush because he just climbed. it is frustrating to see him come out of a tree and do nothing. i have to put his climbing gear away, ropes coiled up, drag his brush to chip an dchip his brush. i do all this in the time it takes him to smoke a cig.

chicken89 said:
i have to put his climbing gear away, ropes coiled up, drag his brush to chip an dchip his brush. i do all this in the time it takes him to smoke a cig.

more fool you

Latest posts

Back