climbing ash tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer Ferd

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am doing a take-down and i am climbing a very large ash tree tomorrow. much of it is over a house. I will be tied off from the main truck. I have not done many ashes and I am wondering how strong the limbs are. I have heard the wood is very strong which is hard to believe since the wood is so light.

Ash trees aren't to bad as long as it isn't so dead, its falling apart. Just like any other tree you just need to be careful and mind your tie in point. We do several Ash trees a week due to EAB here in NW Ohio. :greenchainsaw:

I never had too many problems with ash so far... But I know Big John doesn;t trust dead ash... he's more than one story to tell about dead ash trees failing at the base from root rot..... I suppose it could depend on what killed the tree.. Be careful ... Sound the trunk and butress roots.. get some weight off it early and reduce shock loads by working with some good dymanic line (no double braid) and minimizing the shock loading movement on anything big by tying off near the balance point and easing the limbs into the rigging with some side direction to the notches...
Let us know how you made out...

Ash trees aren't to bad as long as it isn't so dead, its falling apart. Just like any other tree you just need to be careful and mind your tie in point. We do several Ash trees a week due to EAB here in NW Ohio. :greenchainsaw:

EAB - ???

Can someone explain with this acronym???

Canyon

Eab

Emerald Ash Borer, nasty little critter haven't seen too many cases yet but it's comin close to my part of the world. you'll be just fine up in the ash as long as it isn't rotten. I took down around 10 a few years ago that had been dead and standing for several years on my families property and there wasn't any rot in them at all. I think if look at my woodpiles tommorow i think thats the stuff we are finally starting to burn. mind your tie in and climb safe and have fun. "i don't get to take down too many tree's right over houses but they are a challenge which just makes it more fun."

Dave

ash can split because it is so straight grained so beware of cracks. other than that have no fear.

No doubt ash is straight grained most of the time. I've had some crack on me and even barberchair when just cutting from the ground. Be careful with the lean. Just throwing in my opinion

But I know Big John doesn;t trust dead ash... he's more than one story to tell about dead ash trees failing at the base from root rot.

I've had maples, red oak, honeylocust and a few others do that.

I will always set a line and pull hard on a stone dead tree to see where the moment of bend it. The closer to the base then less I trust it.

If it bends under the flair :eek: I get sceer'd

I will always set a line and pull hard on a stone dead tree to see where the moment of bend it. The closer to the base then less I trust it.

If it bends under the flair :eek: I get sceer'd

Thanks for the information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back