Climbing gear question. Too many choices..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shelby78

shelby78

ArboristSite Member
Long story short I need to buy a harness/spurs. I use my 60ft boom 98 percent of the time but do get some climbing jobs but don't have a climber anymore. I have climbed a bit on uber old gear years ago and did some big removals.

I'm not a great climber and haven't climbed in years. 15 years in the tree bizz and I am good at cutting and rigging.

I have read a ton of reviews and I want quality gear. I was basically down to a Ergovation saddle or a Treemotion saddle. I called a dealer and was told I should buy something simpler after telling him my story. My thinking was if I bought top shelf it would be uber cumfy and I can work into srt stuff. I have only ever spur climbed.

We do 99 percent removals or damaged limb work. I'm not going to be a speed machine climbing but I want quality and cumfy. What would everyone's pick be? I will add that the climbing I did was on a double d weaver and I climbed on the low d's so spurring on a saddle with only waist d's will feel different for sure..

Next question comes with spurs. I climbed on Wolf claws and didn't think they were anything special. What is every ones preference on straight shank vs ones with a twist?

I will use a steel core flipline with grab as I love how they work. Like I said before I do plan to play with srt stuff as I am already pretty good with a throw bag and I do have some good climbing lines.

There are no tree supply companys I can go visit to view anything so its internet order only hence all the q's

MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
It's a very subjective thing. What one person likes, another doesn't. You need to try several styles, don't damage them, then return the stuff that doesn't work out for you. Order both saddles, then send back the one you don't like.

jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom

It was a beautiful day!
. AS Supporting Member.
It's a very subjective thing. What one person likes, another doesn't. You need to try several styles, don't damage them, then return the stuff that doesn't work out for you. Order both saddles, then send back the one you don't like.

I was gonna call you a dope, but remembered to be nice, so you are just ignorant.
You do not get to return climbing gear.
Jeff,,,no flipping burger's,,

jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom

It was a beautiful day!
. AS Supporting Member.
Long story short I need to buy a harness/spurs. I use my 60ft boom 98 percent of the time but do get some climbing jobs but don't have a climber anymore. I have climbed a bit on uber old gear years ago and did some big removals.

I'm not a great climber and haven't climbed in years. 15 years in the tree bizz and I am good at cutting and rigging.

I have read a ton of reviews and I want quality gear. I was basically down to a Ergovation saddle or a Treemotion saddle. I called a dealer and was told I should buy something simpler after telling him my story. My thinking was if I bought top shelf it would be uber cumfy and I can work into srt stuff. I have only ever spur climbed.

We do 99 percent removals or damaged limb work. I'm not going to be a speed machine climbing but I want quality and cumfy. What would everyone's pick be? I will add that the climbing I did was on a double d weaver and I climbed on the low d's so spurring on a saddle with only waist d's will feel different for sure..

Next question comes with spurs. I climbed on Wolf claws and didn't think they were anything special. What is every ones preference on straight shank vs ones with a twist?

I will use a steel core flipline with grab as I love how they work. Like I said before I do plan to play with srt stuff as I am already pretty good with a throw bag and I do have some good climbing lines.

There are no tree supply companys I can go visit to view anything so its internet order only hence all the q's

Upgrade your gear to your budget and get what is comfortable,,Wolfclaws are a joke but look cool,, Bashlin's with velcro would help, but not if you do not want to spend money to make money, well, that is your call.
Jeff ;)

MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Yes, you DO get to return climbing gear. I've done it several times. Just don't do it any damage. Of course, this doesn't include ropes, but I figured that goes w/o saying.

Try to not hijack a thread because you are bitter, please.

shelby78

shelby78

ArboristSite Member
Upgrade your gear to your budget and get what is comfortable,,Wolfclaws are a joke but look cool,, Bashlin's with velcro would help, but not if you do not want to spend money to make money, well, that is your call.
Jeff ;)

I have no budget restriction and no gear. I will pay top dollar as I don't buy junk and I'm trusting my life to this stuff. I want the best but I want functional. The guy I talked to asking it I would carry a big saw and I said yes a 660 with a 32 in the big stuff. He said I should get a more robust saddle as I'm not racing up the tree and don't need a top shelf one. Most climbing will be with a 201t but if I need to block wood the 660 gets the job.

shelby78

shelby78

ArboristSite Member
I have read tons of reviews and guys say how cumfy stuff is but are they trimming or thinning or rope climbing only when I plan to spur mainly and do removals? Has anyone gone from straight shank to twisted and said I wish I did this years ago? I will basically be starting from scratch as its been years since I climbed so whatever I get I will mold a style to it. I just want whats easiest to use.

shelby78

shelby78

ArboristSite Member
Dude that 660 will get heavy real fast blocking down

I know as I have done it.. 2 years in and never climbed before my boss got smoked by a limb at 10 am. I climbed till 5pm that night. 2 huge poplars that were in between 2 houses 12 ft apart. I had to pizza slice every bit of wood down and at roughly 40ft up a 20 inch bar would not do it. I came down at 5pm as my feet hurt too much to keep going. I finished it the next day.

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Not sure where in Ontario you are, but there is a Sherrills in Brampton. Take your wife on a roadie.

I personally have a saddle with a batten seat rather than leg stirrups. I find it pretty comfortable, although I don't climb all that often.

Do you really need a 660 to block down? I would think something a little smaller and lighter would be just as effective. By your own account you aren't racing around the tree, so the few seconds you save with the bigger saw will be taken up by the wear and tear on your knees have to pack that weight around.

TreeAce

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
if your serious about using the 660 then i would suggest a saddle with suspenders as an option. I know the ergo has that option but am not sure about the treemotion

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I know as I have done it.. 2 years in and never climbed before my boss got smoked by a limb at 10 am. I climbed till 5pm that night. 2 huge poplars that were in between 2 houses 12 ft apart. I had to pizza slice every bit of wood down and at roughly 40ft up a 20 inch bar would not do it. I came down at 5pm as my feet hurt too much to keep going. I finished it the next day.

Don't pack the monster saw around the whole tree, just use it where you need it.

How big a guy are you? If you tend towards the husky side, consider a saddle with a seat and not just leg straps. You will get more support. Also think about the suspenders. The Ergovation and Treemotion are very good saddles but if you do bucket work 98% of the time, I would go with a middle of the road saddle with suspenders.

shelby78

shelby78

ArboristSite Member
I really appreciate all the help so far... To be clear I don't use the 660 in the air(Climbing) unless I need it. I also have a kind of saw gap in my selection. I go 201/200t for bucket work, 026 for new groundies and then 660. We keep a 660 with a 20 and one with a 32, then one with a 36. I use the 660 with a 20 as my ground saw as I love the power. I have not even used a 026 in quite a while.

I probly should buy a mid sized saw now that I have to get into climbing a bit more and I'm getting older (36). I will get a set of supenders if they don't rub your nipples raw like chainsaw pant suspenders do.

Latest posts