Climbing Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering what is the most popular way to tie into a saddle with a single tie in point such as a butterfly II saddle. I currently climb on a Versatile Classic and was thinking about switching to a sliding D setup. Thanks..

I am not sure I understand your question. The tie in method should be the same as whatever you are using now. What are you using? A tail tied system with a Blake's? Or a closed system with a Distel (or something similar)? If you are using a split tail system on your Versatile with two carabiners, you can maintain the same configuration on the Butterfly by clipping both carabiners into the ring or switching to a micromouse pulley. (That's a single pulley with two attachment holes.)

If that doesn't answer your question, please give more information.

Dave

Do you mean the termination knots for ropes that don't have an eye splice? There are many knots, double fisherman's is pretty popular.

I clip directly to my bridge with my climbing line. I use the split tail with a blakes hitch setup. Both the climbing ling and the split tail are clipped directly to my bridge like this. My termination knots are all double fisherman's.

DSCN1810.jpg

The bridge is custom on my Butterfly saddle. I tied a piece of 1/2" climbing line on with double fisherman's.

Last edited:
I clip directly to my bridge with my climbing line. I use the split tail with a blakes hitch setup. Both the climbing ling and the split tail are clipped directly to my bridge like this. My termination knots are all double fisherman's.

DSCN1810.jpg

The bridge is custom on my Butterfly saddle. I tied a piece of 1/2" climbing line on with double fisherman's.

You must have long arms nailsbeats?

I tie the Blakes down fairly close to the self tending pulley so that I get more net movement with each pull of the line.

You might look at a Glide II instead of the Butterfly if you are working in the saddle everyday. Many people find that the butterfly isn't really comfortable for everyday use, and the Glide II offers more padding and the warp speed bridge runs smoother with a micromouse pulley or petzl swivel because it's round instead of oblong shaped like the Butterfly, just my thoughts.

Awesome! Thanks all that totally answered my question :) and thanks for suggesting the Glide instead of the butterfly, I will definetly look into it! Thanks all.

Spider, I agree with the advice on the Glide II. It is what I climb in. Seems to be holding up well (3 years now). It is one of the more adjustable saddles out there so if it doesn't feel right immediately, keep fiddling with the adjustments until it suits you.

By the way, we are in the Bitterroot Valley. Whereabouts in Montana are you?

Dave

I would say that many people that use the B-fly everyday find it to be very comfortable, so you have two conflicting opinions on the same piece of equipment by professionals. Don't take someones word for it, try it for yourself.

if you dont like the butterfly give the dragonfly a shot. solid saddles. i'm on the Dfly myself. i clip 2 biners right onto my bridge. 1 for the splittail and the other for the line.

I tie the Blakes down fairly close to the self tending pulley so that I get more net movement with each pull of the line.

i actually moved my pulley to about 1/2 way out the splittail, right under my knot. i like running out there because i can get more pull and have less area to cover to the pulley. the pulley is about a fistlength below the knot. once i get back into bigger trees i am moving over to martin on a prussic. i have the hitch climber and beeline prussic cord but am being lazy with it. gonna wait till i get back into some big trees i think.

Hey D Mc ~ I'm in Missoula, assistant arborist for the city :chainsaw:

does assistant arborist mean brush dragger or are you fresh out the books and green as hell?

i actually moved my pulley to about 1/2 way out the splittail, right under my knot. i like running out there because i can get more pull and have less area to cover to the pulley. the pulley is about a fistlength below the knot. once i get back into bigger trees i am moving over to martin on a prussic. i have the hitch climber and beeline prussic cord but am being lazy with it. gonna wait till i get back into some big trees i think.

How do you have it attached there? Mini prussik cord? Can you show pics of it? Isn't a Martin a "eye - eye prussik" version of the Blakes? Seems like I read somewhere that it puts a lot of heat on one part of the knot. I'm still looking for the "right" eye - eye setup for me...

does assistant arborist mean brush dragger or are you fresh out the books and green as hell?
~Nope, I work for the City of Missoula its just a job title, I climb, work from the bucket of out High Ranger lift truck, run backhoes, chip, saw and everything in between. I did go to the University of Montana for forestry though :greenchainsaw:

Back