climbing rig

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickmu

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the most widely used configuration is for climbing competitors? I've seen videos, always too dark, and seen in person from too great a distance. Are all mechanical devices allowed?

Dude, it all depends on your climbing style, and what your comfortable with. I have seen guys compete on an old Weaver floating D saddle using ArborPlex and out climb the guys that have thousands of dollars worth of gear. Its really all about how good of a tree climber you are. The gear doesnt make the climber but when your competing every little advantage helps. I like the New Tribe ultra light saddle, but then again its also my daily work saddle. I also use the Yale XTC fire as my climb line. The rules change yearly as far as mechanical devices go, but there will be a meeting before the comp to clarify everything. All ascenders have to be backed by prussik so keep that in mind. Also the judges will inspect all your gear prior to the start of the comp. Its a good Idea to bring extra knick knacks with ya just incase there isnt a Sherrill Trailer set up at the site. If ya got any other questions let me know.

Kenn

I'm with Him The One I use Changes from what is Hot and what Job I may be on. Start with an Blake's hitch and Learn as you go. There is so much info available you use it as you go, Just try it low and slow tell you feel good about it

Definitly learn the blakes hitch first as you don't need any extra pieces which just complicate things. I think an eye to eye is the way to go but others like the split tail, either way, its important to grasp the basics first.

Dude, it all depends on your climbing style, and what your comfortable with. I have seen guys compete on an old Weaver floating D saddle using ArborPlex and out climb the guys that have thousands of dollars worth of gear. Its really all about how good of a tree climber you are. The gear doesnt make the climber but when your competing every little advantage helps. I like the New Tribe ultra light saddle, but then again its also my daily work saddle. I also use the Yale XTC fire as my climb line. The rules change yearly as far as mechanical devices go, but there will be a meeting before the comp to clarify everything. All ascenders have to be backed by prussik so keep that in mind. Also the judges will inspect all your gear prior to the start of the comp. Its a good Idea to bring extra knick knacks with ya just incase there isnt a Sherrill Trailer set up at the site. If ya got any other questions let me know.

Kenn
I'm in no way looking to compete, but would just like to know out of curiousity. I'm an old man that wished he had started earlier in the game. The problem I run into is when I make an advance up the rope it takes me so long to free the hitch to advance it that a lot of times I have lost what I was trying to gain. The pro's make it look so easy.

Mick, if you could post a picture of your setup maybe we could help you fine tune it to make it work better for you.

Dave

Latest posts

Back