climbing saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjayfromwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well i actually have a couple of questions here. I did a search and didnt come up with much.
I was talking to a stihl rep and he told me that a 192t running .325 chain 12in bar is comparable to a 200t running 3/8 14in bar. I'm not real concerned about running a bigger bar, more about speed of the cut. I only climb occasionally (couple times a week), but when i do i dont like a slow, bogging saw (thats how my echo 330t learned to fly from eighty feet up!).
I saw an old thread where a guy said his 192 didnt even compare to his 200, but didnt say how he had it set up. Just curious if anyone here has tried this comparison

Also i was curious if anyone has used the Jonsered 2139T and how they liked it for power and snap? Compared to the stihls?

There is a friend of mine that sells J-red, but hasnt sold any of the topsaws...just groundsaws.

I do need a new saw to use for climbing and the 200 is pricey, but i dont want to get the small one and find out the dealer was full of S**t and be stuck with another gutless saw.

Thanks

Last edited:
dont get me wrong - i sleep with my husky, but climbing would give me 2 saw choices depending on the situation.

1. if the saw is for me, stihl 200.

2. if its for one of the workers, go the echo range. dont know about there, but over here the echo range is 1/3 the price of stihl and husky. when the simple ones drop it out of the tree, who cares!!!! the echo is made of weak plastic cr@p that bends and stretches anyway so your ground man will catch it on the 4th bounce.

:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

i have a 192T, i really like it. The first day i ran it i thought it was gutless. It took at least 10 tanks of gas before it really broke in. Now it screams. It does everything i ask. As long as the chain is sharp i think it cuts plenty fast. I have never ran a 200 so i can't compare.

I used it all afternoon yesterday in a silver maple. It never missed a beat.

The 200T was made for the one man crew or the individual in charge of the crew. It is an awesome saw. The 192T will almost cut with it but not quite. It would still outcut the Echo saws.

Get the 200T and you will be very glad that you did.

Little Husky 338xpt cali. . Jam up sm. saw w/ 14 in. bar. Owned it 3 yrs. now & no problemo. Good luck. Good in the bucket or climbing & it has a positive chain break.

Methinx your saw rep is off base. I've not heard of .325 chain on a climb saw. Regardless, it would have more drag than low profile .375, the normal chain run on small saws. There is an .043 gauge chain and matching bar for the 192, which is pretty light duty. It cuts OK, but is poor for back chaining.

The 192T is gutless in stock form. Mine has been woods modded and cuts about the same as a stock 200T in small wood. But a simple muffler port job will give the saw plenty of juice.

The 192 is a nice saw, but isn't built to the standards of the 200 or Husky, so might not last as long. It's main benefits are the low weight and price.

I've been happy with my 192t, it's muffler moded and cut decent with a 14" on it. It's nice and light and works great for me. But I don't climb much at all.
If you are unhappy with the Echo's, don't buy a 192t. If you climb that much, don't buy the 192. The 192 is a light duty pruning, and ocasional take down saw.
Buy the 200t, get it setup with a 16" bar, and be fat dumb and happy and never look back!!!:clap:

Back