climbing trees with defects

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the tree live or dead? A picture of the whole tree would be more useful. In most situations like this it is helpful to understand the compartmentalization of decay in trees (codit)

I would have to look at the other side of the defect to see how much wood is there. Then I would throw a line up and pull test it.

All birch decay rather fast, so i would want a lot of sound wood in that reaction zone.

So I guess to answer your question, a qualified maybe ;)

I would have to look at the other side of the defect to see how much wood is there. Then I would throw a line up and pull test it.

All birch decay rather fast, so i would want a lot of sound wood in that reaction zone.

x2

X3.

Have to see the whole tree and locations for alternate tie ins. I can say that if it was dead I wouldn't tie into it to climb it. I would have to have an alternative tie-in like a nearby tree or a highline.

Looks pretty solid to me but I would have to see it up close and personal... I have taken down 3 with bigger cavities in the past 2 months but they were larger trees and one of them was with a crane... ;)

x4

Definatly not enough information to decide.
I climb dead and problem trees far more often than green healthy ones. I always leave myself the option to retreat and use another plan.
I wonder what the purpose of your question is.

Last edited:
It really depends on what you have to do up there. If all you have to do is run up and top it out and limb it then maybe. If you have to go up and butt hang the top then I would think twice. Rigging in trees you are not sure of is no fun!

hmmm

im not sure id climb her but i could deff take r down

Back