Clogging handsaw scabbards !!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
Anyone besides me have problems with handsaw scabbards clogging. I tried something tonight ( saw another climber do this, but didn't get the results ). I took a holesaw and drilled 4 - 7/8" holes in the side. I made sure not to expose the saw teeth. This should help get rid of sawdust getting into the scabbard. Rich.

Rich,

Good for you!

About six years ago I started doing the same thing with my scabbards. When I got a new scabbard I'd lay the saw on the outside in the exact position it would be held. Then I marked the tip of the saw on the scabbard. Next, I took a large hole saw and put the pilot bit out just a smidgen. Enough to get it to center on the mark I made. The hole saw that I use is about 1/8" smaller than the stitchind width at the marked point.

After I figured out this solution I shared my million dollar idea with all of the climbers that I knew. At the next TCI I talked with a sales rep from one of the manufacturers about my idea. I asked the guy if he was familiar with how the scabbards fill with debris. He said that "everyone" just poked a wire in to the scabbard to get the junk out. When I gave him my idea he just blew me off. His loss...could have made a lot of climbers loyal to his scabbards.

When Mark approached B'ham with the leg scabbards idea they made up a couple of prototypes for us to field test. After a few weeks I wrote to B'ham with some changes. The next batch they made had the drain hole. Those guys apparently want to make a good product.

Tom

Thanks from me for your sharing the ideas Tom - especially to the manufacturers.

We're the ones who use the stuff, we have some opinions that have some weight. Stihl could've done better with the folding "wire" size loop on the 020T for example.

Now if Ford would just place some hardware in the beds of the pick-ups to tie into.

That is a good idea, i have to clear mine out about 2x per lifespan of of scabbord; as i conscientiously tap the dust etc. from my handsaw so habitually, i even do it after using it as a reaching tool.

I saw Mike Maas for the second time in my life today. The last time I met him, I must not have noticed his drooling problem...

Guess what I'm going to do to my handsaw scabbard tonight? :)

Nickrosis

I change over to a 13” handsaw from a folder. The scabbard I purchased from Sherrill has slots in the bottom so that the saw dust falls out. I have not had a problem with it getting clogged. I checked right before writing this post and there was none in the scabbard.

I think the scabbards Sherrill sells are manufactured by Buckingham. They are well made and have other good features.

Tim,

Given time, all scabbards will get clogged. No doubt, the B'ham scabbards are well made. Putting a drain hole in is like putting an after market sound system in your vehicle or better tires. Better performance!

Tom

Speaking of drilling holes into a saw, I modified my chainsaw bar by drilling big holes down the center of the bar, between the spot welds. I did this to make my topping saw lighter. I removed about 25% of the metal of the bar. Topping saw bars are so over built anyway.
I wish I had access to a milling machine, I'd remove a lot more metal. Guys worry about a few ounce difference in the topping saw weight, then bolt on a 5 pound bar...

Latest posts

Back