Clutch won't come off (Homelite 7-29)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to one and all.

I was wondering if anybody here has dealed with the Homelite 7-29/8-29 before and knows how to free the crankcase from the rest of the saw? I'm planning to put it on my Homelite "20MCS" (which looks like a 7-29, except the engine).

My current problem is the clutch nut won't come off. I've tried to think of different ways to get it off, but it won't budge.

Got it off with an impact wrench. It worked counter-clockwise. But I did indeed try both ways before, but it wouldn't budge. An impact wrench did the job.
Impact has always worked for me, no need to block the piston, just leave the sparkplug in and give it a quick blip. It pys to now exatly which direction to turn the nut to loosen it. ;)

To update the issue, the clutch itself now won't come off. But I suppose I'll just need a long metal piece to get enough leverage to undo it. Clockwise I suppose it is, as the nut was counter-clockwise. According to what I saw on a certain YouTube video.

The clutch has 2 square keys holding it. Proper way to pull is to thread 2 screws into the spider which should have holes. Buy a small, inexpensive harmonic balance puller and a couple long screws (I forget which thread size). Assemble with washers and use steady force to pull. If you try to pry against the clutch drum you could damage the drum bearing when it pushes against the keys, or worse, damage the case.

Lots of clutches from this era come off this way, with a threaded puller. All Homelite saws are like this until they started threading the cranks and doing away with keys.

Now it came off. Held the saw upright, instead of down on it's side on the table... Anyway, now the question remains, are those ignition coils interchangeable? I believe one of them is from a 20MCS, and the one that was not having spark came on the actual 7-29.

Attachments

• 20240323_224253.jpg
    20240323_224253.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240323_224244.jpg
    20240323_224244.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Hello to one and all.

I was wondering if anybody here has dealed with the Homelite 7-29/8-29 before and knows how to free the crankcase from the rest of the saw? I'm planning to put it on my Homelite "20MCS" (which looks like a 7-29, except the engine).

My current problem is the clutch nut won't come off. I've tried to think of different ways to get it off, but it won't budge.
Did you try blocking the piston with rope fed through the spark plug hole then rattling off with an impact gun. Left hand thread. Had to do this with snowmobile engines.

Hello to one and all.

I just read the opening paragraph. You plan to install the 7-29 block on a 20MCS frame? The 20 is the first generation belt drive. Homelite made alot of changes and created the follow-up 26LCS with is still a float carb saw but it shares more with the later saws. Putting a 7-29 motor in a 20mcs is like putting a 351 in a model T. Might be possible but why would you want to?

Find a 5-30N. That will provide everything you need to make a proper 129cc saw. Fuel tank is narrower is all.

What parts are missing or are needed for the 7-29 that you are taking from the 20MCS. The ignition is about the other thing I can think that might work. I don't an IPL for the 20 but you can look over the stator for a Wico part number and see if they match.

What parts are missing or are needed for the 7-29 that you are taking from the 20MCS. The ignition is about the other thing I can think that might work. I don't an IPL for the 20 but you can look over the stator for a Wico part number and see if they match.

Attachments

• 20MCS IPL.pdf
    10.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 7-29_ipl 23162.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back