CMC 92hd

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bck

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I flew a CMC 92hd earlier in the summer at CTPA meeting. It was surprisingly smooth, solid and quick. At first glance a very nice machine. The speed of the unit is what really got my attention and I felt that it was fast enough not to be an issue. I've heard other units are painfully slow which is a concern for me. Speed is really important because all the time adds up at the end of the day. The capabilities of the machines is obvious and would allow me to get into more work faster and safer. My only real concern of the machines is reliability and longevity. I'm not afraid to finance almost $200k but the question is whether it's a good investment in the long run or am I buying a $200k headache? I hear mixed reviews about these machines and I am on the fence if financially it makes sense to buy one.

I’m not familiar with the machine, never flown one, but wanted to check if you are aware of the issue with the boom failure. I don’t think anyone has been killed yet, but there’s been serious injuries. I guess there’s no weld at the part that breaks, the tube just breaks, and all the operators running it stated it was all just normal use; single person in the basket, not using it as a rigging point or letting it be struck by pieces or anything out of the ordinary. I’ve read that the 83HD and 92HD share the same upper boom.
Google will tell you a lot more than I can, and there might even be a thread about it on this forum.

EAABA252-A8CE-41E6-9F6E-8163A1B9650A.jpeg59A769C6-07E9-4CAB-93E2-E825957D2486.jpeg7E58EE81-2374-4693-8FDC-D34D89E924ED.jpeg

Yes I am. Verdict is still out but sounds like some guys were rigging off them. Definitely part of the equation. All of these lifts have their pros and cons

Just think hard about that 46’ max side reach. That and I have a sneaking suspicion that nobody rigged anything off those failed lifts, and cmc is just covering up. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see what went down.

And that extra 2’ is about as useless as useless can be. It’s all about side reach with my Omme’s. That’s where the bread and butter is. So rarely do I use full height straight up! 50/52 working side reach.

Of course it does sway around a lot. I got over it real quick. Better than snapping off.

I’m not familiar with the machine, never flown one, but wanted to check if you are aware of the issue with the boom failure. I don’t think anyone has been killed yet, but there’s been serious injuries. I guess there’s no weld at the part that breaks, the tube just breaks, and all the operators running it stated it was all just normal use; single person in the basket, not using it as a rigging point or letting it be struck by pieces or anything out of the ordinary. I’ve read that the 83HD and 92HD share the same upper boom.
Google will tell you a lot more than I can, and there might even be a thread about it on this forum.

View attachment 1010954View attachment 1010955View attachment 1010956
I heard there was a guy that finally got killed. Maybe the fourth failure?

I agree with the machines breaking. Doesn’t pass the stink test.
I flew the cmc at tel he CTPA meeting and it was surprisingly quick and which is nice and a selling point.
It really boils down to CMC, tracked lifts , omme , and easy lift. I’m ordering one this winter. I think they should all be at the TCIA expo this fall.

After 39 months I am still refining my techniques with the Omme’s. There is definitely a learning curve that can’t be denied and a lot of little tricks to working efficiently with these machines.

I can only imagine being 80 like vet and just getting started out lol.

I think the thing you need to remember is these machines are meant to help replace a climber, not a bucket truck.
Very true and good point. It’s part of the whole equation. I guess the most important aspect is reliability, safety and service. And a proven platform which all leans towards the omme.

Latest posts

Back