cny gtg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm bringing 2 hoops of new square ground, and some new files. Any chance one of you guys can give me square filing advice. I don't want to use it (been saving it for the gtg)or touch a file to it without some instruction first. Thanks
CSW

I've got a loop that I made from a round chain. I wore out a file making it, though and wanted to make another but don't think I'll have time. Works good but I'm thinking it's nowhere near to a factory chain, or a race. There's going to be someone who will discuss the finer point of square with us I'm sure. I can sure use the pointers, myself. There also may be a local logger coming who apparently uses square for felling.

Was just outside, and if there is no wind tomorrow, we're going to want to have a fire going. Sure doesn't feel like spring, but this will actually be better for running saws.

Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Still going to be on the hill tomorrow.......but you folks are going to need to be "hard core"!

We have 4 inches of wet snow on the ground right now....

My bet is the road will be fine and motomedik & I are going to check out the hill this afternoon. We may move stuff around a bit. Maybe park just past the "beaver" pond by our old "Sugar shack"..we will report later.

Last edited:
Still going to be on the hill tomorrow.......but you folks are going to need to be "hard core"!

We have 4 inches of wet snow on the ground right now....

My bet is the road will be fine and motomedik & I are going to check out the hill this afternoon. We may move stuff around a bit. Maybe park just past the "beaver" pond by our old "Sugar shack"..we will report later.

Good ol' new york weather...

Alright, I'm about ready! Put the water tank back in the truck, sterilized it, rinsed it, refilled it. Aux battery has a full charge. Saws are sitting by the basement door ready to go. Put together a big bowl of fruit salad-y stuff. Four six-packs of soda and a 30 of Blue are in the truck staying cold. Swapped the hitch ball for the recovery shackle.

Need to dig out the camp stove with a couple fuel cylinders, and the canopy.

Yippeee! Here's to some better weather!

OK

What we did was clean out an area in the old Sugar Shack and placed a "tank" bottom side up for a bench. A place to work on saws...actually turned out really nice! (The other half is basically gone....)

Also cut that 50ft ash log into three sections (The one I posted pics of), they range from 24inches in diameter to 18inches in diameter. Blocked one end up on three of those logs for cookies...to test saws. I'd like to keep one for milling, but there is around 20ft of 18-22 inch stuff we can cookie.
picture.php

Should keep those who want to compare happy. AND there is that "top" with 6-12 inch branches (I posted it as well) along with another 10ft of "cookie" wood at around 16inches in dia.
picture.php

Forget the other two area's I setup, too much snow. We can get there but later in the day for the hard core types.

We have 4-6inches of wet snow down. The road is clear down past the beaver pond to the "fork" to the sugar shack. Those who have the map ..its at the west end of Sherman Road S(outh) displayed...If you find the road, you will see the place once at the bottom of the hill can't miss it. The parking isn't as nice as I had planned. Can stack 6-10 4x4's on the road to the old shack...I'll have a compact tractor...motomedik a quad, so the road can be used for who even is willing to do some winter work.

Also there are several tree's (hard maples) in that area that need to come down, so if things work out we can take them as we need them for the gtg..(I want them firewood sized) AND there are couple of really big old beach trees..really nasty but maybe I'll drop one of those if need be. (3ft dia stuff) Lots of work in that area of the woods to do.

IF the weather cooperates, we can get to one of the other two places fairly easily. If not we can stay in that first wooded section. Not as nice as the other places..but plenty to do. Mostly 65-80ft maple & ash.

Bring winter clothes and good boots!

The road is fine for 4 wheel drive....2 wheel drive maybe if its Front wheel drive! I wouldn't push it though as its STILL snowing. As I said..I have it clear now and can touch it up if needed tomorrow. No risk for a 4x4.

Have your coffee at Mac's in Cortland (On 13 about 2.5 miles away)..and take care of business as there is no out-house! (other wise you have to be a bare):jawdrop:

AND the show plow guy mashed my mail box this morning! Soits easy to find now! PM me if you need further directions.

Last edited:
Was just outside, and if there is no wind tomorrow, we're going to want to have a fire going. Sure doesn't feel like spring, but this will actually be better for running saws.

Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Spike, where we are now is "protected". there will be no wind down in that valley in the woods. Never is.

Stove and Grill

Zercool, Ive got the colman stove ready with fuel and am bring a portable grill if we need one. Also went to the forest show at Watkins glen this morning. It was pretty cool. Weather outside was much to be desired but inside there were 3 or 4 dealers selling saws. They had a 361 with a 20" bar for $549!! A 372XP for $704!! I was glad I left the checkbook home. Anyway, looking forward to a nice sunny day, good company and if I can fine it, i'll bring the stop watch. Also I'll bring my Camera so we can post our "fun".

Millman
:cheers:

Just checking in to if it was still happening tomorrow. Snow I can deal with but it's been raining here for 2 days straight and everything is MUD. Ok now I gotta go pack and get everything ready.

Did I say SNOW? Just took some pics of the road & things. This is from 15 minutes ago!

Heading up our road from 13 you will see this farm on the left 2.5 miles up the hill from 13.

picture.php

Then a few hundred yards further you see this house. 50ft BEFORE this place our farm road is on the right heading down into the valley...there is a pile of Willow tree there too.

picture.php

When you approach the bottom of the hill you will see the beaver pond. I'll leave that trailer there....so you know you found the right road!

picture.php

On the other side a few hundred feet there is a road off to the left...to the Old fallen down Sugar Shack...(We cleaned out a room..its really better that it looks in THAT room)...

picture.php

picture.php

Just past the Sugar Shack carnage, a trail goes off into the woods to the left..marked with trail arrows. To these logs.

picture.php

picture.php

AND I MIGHT put this old saw on a log or even a quad at the top of the road tomorrow morning..(MAYBE).

picture.php

And its still snowing.....if your vehicle is as capable off road as my kids little Ford Escape..then you can get down into the valley..AND back out because I just did at 7:30 this evening

And its...snowing

Last edited:
To those who are coming, please read my last few posts starting with post #249 on page 17 begining with "OK" so you know what you are getting into! We have had to radically alter plans because of snow. We MAY be able to get to the rest of our place, I certainly hope so! But right now I can only promise what I have posted. (Bet some of you will get to the fields....)

Last edited:
To those who are coming, please read my last few posts starting with post #249 on page 17 begining with "OK" so you know what you are getting into! We have had to radically alter plans because of snow. We MAY be able to get to the rest of our place, I certainly hope so! But right now I can only promise what I have posted. (Bet some of you will get to the fields....)

I have a 4wd Tacoma so it's not too big a deal to me. Although with the weather I think the 55 is the only saw coming with me, and I'll bring the Fiskars and the maul. At least there won't be any problems keeping the beer cold.

:cheers:

Nice to see that snow again!
I'm going to adjust what I bring.
Two saws should be fine. Snow shovel and some folding chairs.
My truck is good for about 8ft. off the road
See you at the road.

And its still snowing & blowing & beginning to drift...10:00 Pm. Past 6 inches headed to 8.

Motomedik will be there in the morning. I will be plowing out the farm. I'll get the farm road down first I guess. You will see me with that little red compact 4x4 Massey Fergusson 1433 up at the farm probably..or on the farm road pushing snow around. Put the horses in and a couple of calfs..the little ones. Any one like horses? Will have ten in the barn(s) tomorrow morning! I'll have to feed them. Think the stalls will just have to wait until after were done sawin..

I'll post real early tomorrow on how the road is...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back