Coal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATHRBCUTN

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you guys use coal, along with wood. I have been thinking of getting a little bit, but have never used it. Just wondered what all the pro's and con's where, other than the mess.

Your stove has to have grates to burn coal, so the air comes up under & through the fire. I've 'messed' with it some, but at todays prices, I'd rather do my own wood. Coal in bags isn't really messy. I found I had to pull the ash pan every other day with coal, as opposed to 7 to 10 days with wood. You need a place to dump the ash, it makes a lot. I got my best coal fires when I could throw a shovelfull in every few hours. A few times I threw most of a bag in & damn near put the fire out.

My stove is made for both coal and wood. I am defiantly going to try some, just wanted to know what I am going to get myself into, and if there are any tricks to it.

My stove is made for both coal and wood. I am defiantly going to try some, just wanted to know what I am going to get myself into, and if there are any tricks to it.

You will find it will burn longer and hotter,if you buy good clean coal. There is more ash and unless you mine it yourself,its usually not free. One nice thing about coal is the ashes. You can put a box or two in the back of your truck,they will help you get out if you get stuck. Also good on your driveway saves on salt or calcium. The clinkers give you traction,where wood ash is mostly dust and does not help much.

Ive got an old pot belly and a steel garbage can of coal. Ive always thought about using it but havent yet. My dad kinda remembers burning coal when he was a kid. I guess Ill have to get him over here to look at it and see if he knows the tricks.:cheers:

Have used coal and only coal for the past 20 or so years. Stokers are self feeders, have a long burn time, and heat control is fairly easy. Coal burns at about 950 degrees and wood at about 650. I sold Alaska wood and coal stoves back in the 80's and the coal outsold wood stoves by about 6 to 1.

One thing that you will have to learn is how to "bank" the fire. In other words, you shovel in a bed of coal on one side of your stove and then when you fill the stove up again you put a "bank" of coal on the other side of the stove. Once one side burns the other side will start and you have a good constant fire.

I live in the heart of the coal region and I can tell you that there is no trick to burning coal. Start a fire, add coal, maintain a fire. The ashes do pile up a lot easier than wood.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Guess now I just need to find out where to buy some around here. I think there is a place about 15 min. from the house.

I have a multi fuel boiler and I burn 95% coal. It burns nice and hot and burn times are much longer. I can get a ton of coal for around $60.00 a ton and that will last me around 5 weeks depending on the weather..

$60 a ton?!?! That sounds really cheap if it's good coal! While I have a stove that can burn coal, it's well over $300/ton in my area.

I'd be interested in people that have tried to burn a mix of both. My OWB can burn both and I had a craigs lists find over the summer .. ended up with 3/4 ton for free. I was hoping to try and mix a shovel or two in with some wood on a real cold day .. see how it worked. Has anyone run a mix and is there any tips?

steve

$60 a ton?!?! That sounds really cheap if it's good coal! While I have a stove that can burn coal, it's well over $300/ton in my area.

Our coal in this area is Bituminous coal ( soft coal ). It is good coal with a very high BTU rating, It is actually higher than most anthracite. But this rating varies wildly depending on where you buy the coal.

Your coal is most likely Anthracite coal. (hard coal) and in general, it is best coal in the world and is much more expensive.

I'd be interested in people that have tried to burn a mix of both. My OWB can burn both and I had a craigs lists find over the summer .. ended up with 3/4 ton for free. I was hoping to try and mix a shovel or two in with some wood on a real cold day .. see how it worked. Has anyone run a mix and is there any tips?

steve

Be sure and get a nice hot wood fire burning before adding the coal. Coal burns the best when the combustion air comes from UNDER the grates. be sure and add enough coal to make a difference. if you just spread it out a bit on the fire you won't see much of a difference.

Also, be ready to buy another ton because once you start burning coal you will be hooked on the burn times. :clap:

KTM: Still have snow on the ground?....Daughter's FIL said on T-Giving there was 8" in Oakland area.

Yep, Still got snow. It is rifle season so that makes it REALLY nice. We got a bit more snow last night. It is 19 degrees here right now ( 10:45am ) so I don't think the snow will be going anywhere and there is more on the way..

Sure glad the lake effect snow says up your way....we block it at the Allegheny Front!...why is gun season so late up there? Ours just went out last Sat.

BTW; Coming up your way next Sat. (Cumberland) for a Natty Bo/Iron City run...can you roll out the red carpet?

Our gun season has always started the saturday after Thanksgiving...

Natty bo / Iron City Run ? never heard of this.

I gotta work saturday. You are welcome to come visit at work, but since it is a Penitentiary I don't think the scenery or company would be worth the drive:)

Latest posts

Back