Coil Air Gap on old Mac's....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinecrick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In the course of repairing/restoring several old Mac's, I've successfully set the coil gap without much agony, but I keep thinking there is a "proper way" and then there is my way......

I simply lay the blade of the gap tool on the flywheel magnet, rotate the flywheel until the blade is under the coil pickup, and let the coil "snap" onto the magnet with the blade between them. The top portion of the coil always lays hard against the flywheel, so then I just slightly lift the top portion of the coil off the flywheel with the gapper blade still in place between the pickup and flywheel, and tighten both screws.

Although I make it work, I keep thinking it ain't the kosher method of setting the gap.

So, how do you guys go about setting the air gap on a coil with the older saws? Currently I'm cleaning up and replacing parts on a SP 70.

Thanks in advance for any tutoring,

Casey

Compared to me, you are high tech. I use a business card. It has worked every time. Like you, it would be nice to know the proper way.

I too have used the business cards with great success. If i am correct the cards are 10 to 12 thou proper gap being the same on most saws. cards are cheap.

Latest posts

Back