Collier State Park History Comes Alive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took off on a road trip to Susanville, CA. It was Sunday, and I thought there would be no problem finding a spot to spend the night at the Collier State Park, near Chiloquin, OR. Much to my surprise, there were no RV spaces open, but I managed to squeeze into a tent spot instead, and pay less. Across the highway, I heard a steam whistle going off and this was going on.
View attachment 301788View attachment 301789View attachment 301790View attachment 301791

All of that was running, although the cat was not moving. The tractor was pulling a trailer hauling folks around.

I got there late, and this young man cheerily restarted his saw and operated it so I could get a picture. Folks were packing the cookies around. They called cookies "rounds".
View attachment 301792

There was a line. Afterwards, and too late, I learned there was a shingle mill going.
View attachment 301793
This was the source of the whistle.
View attachment 301794
Dust abatement done modern style. At this point, normal logging conditions occurred and something was broken down for a short while.
View attachment 301795
This team looked like they could pull a lot more. They were well behaved.
View attachment 301796

The Collier State Park has a logging museum on the West side of Highway 97. There is a trail to it from the campground on the East side of the highway. It is worth the visit.

Nice pics Slowp. Looks like it was a good time. I like the old steam engines and the Cat. Thanks for posting

It's a pretty nice museum. I've been there twice, but never had anything running when I visited.

I've got a C-5 just like that. Patty come to our GTG in November and you can run it all you want. Cut as many 'rounds' with it as you like..:D

Last edited:
Back