State of the wood pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If burning wood is the sole source of romance in your lives, I respectfully suggest you're doing it wrong.
I laughed out loud at that^^^^..I've never understood the fascination with people on here talking about sitting around wood burning appliances and feeling turned on?

ya, I don't think getting *turned on* by a glowing fire is semantically the best way to put it :p:D

It's more about connecting with the primal instinct, hunting and gathering, working more directly for your heat, staying fit, saving money, being independent, enjoying the fruits of your labour, feeling the warm glow on cold winter days when the power goes out, not paying the man etc etc.

Carbon tax on NatGas here is same price as the fuel - if you burn $100 in gas, you pay almost the same in Tax on top of that. i.e. $100 gas burned + $95 Carbon Tax = $195.00

Nothing wrong with an efficient heat pump if that's what *turns you on, although I doubt I could convince my wife to have a nice romantic dinner down by the heat pump. :surprised3:

To each their own.

ya, I don't think getting *turned on* by a glowing fire is semantically the best way to put it :p:D

It's more about connecting with the primal instinct, hunting and gathering, working more directly for your heat, staying fit, saving money, being independent, enjoying the fruits of your labour, feeling the warm glow on cold winter days when the power goes out, not paying the man etc etc.

Carbon tax on NatGas here is same price as the fuel - if you burn $100 in gas, you pay almost the same in Tax on top of that. i.e. $100 gas burned + $95 Carbon Tax = $195.00

Nothing wrong with an efficient heat pump if that's what *turns you on, although I doubt I could convince my wife to have a nice romantic dinner down by the heat pump. :surprised3:

To each their own.
Yes

I could stop cutting and have way over 10 years left . What taxes I pay for this ? About the only true value I ever had . Spending money on energy is no pay back gone when its gone . Other than that my money is gone . My wood pile says .Were are you? Were I'm at ? A noble force . No matter what, I did the work , That's how feel about it .

Hey Marine, how do you like they electric splitter? 4 or 5 ton machines are about £150, 7 ton machines about another £110 on that. I'm put off by the specs which say maximum log diameter of 10". If the day comes I can't split those rounds with my fiskars well.....shoot me, ha ha. I considered one when I get the occasional 2' crotchety Oak round, but currently it gets noodled.

Looks like you've a good set up overall though, nice
I love my electric splitter. After I bought the house I couldn't afford a lot right away so I picked it up and it really does most of the rounds I throw at it.
I've split up to 24" rounds with it actually. As long as the wood is not too knarly, it does good. Plus the wife can use it no problem.
Plus, you can use it indoors to split kindling and if the weather is howling and cold out.(We get cold cold weather here in Canada Neil...ha,ha)

Silver Maple Split Stack Nov 27_2014 (7).JPG

I have just finished my winter 20/21 piile some 20cm's if more comes along it will be on the last to use end of the stack I have a total of some 45cm's for winter 18/19& 19/20 burning season To the OP if your supply of wood is free ? a gift of beer or whatever he's into will probably keep your supply coming

IMG_0107 (2).JPG We have heated almost exclusively with wood, now, for a number of years. I gave up trying to figure out how much my double-blower furnace takes, but it is a lot. This winter has been one of the worst in the 18 years that we have been here. I had a pile that I thought was good for two years and "he gone". I have already cut quite a bit of wood this spring that was near my house on state land ( with a permit). Luckily, I have access to plenty of free wood by driving a ways. I enjoy the wood and have good equipment to handle it. I will continue as long as I can do it and two things helped that-the log lift on my North Star and the purchase of the small, portable tractor. Now, I can jump that tractor into my dump trailer and take it wherever I want. I will save my back loading the bigger rounds etc.

Fortunately, I am several years ahead on my wood pile and plan to keep it that way. It is easy to stay motivated, when you only pay $150 for two years of propane!

Firewood? Screw that. We've got a heat pump.
I’m shocked and dismayed Kiwibro, I always thought you were a diehard scrounger / wood burner! Have you ever had the pleasure of living in a house with a fire stove?
As for LondonNeil he is a true diehard scrounger/wood burner, probably has the most difficult scrounge conditions of any of us.

Oh I don't know. Just done another run for a car load of Oak, dead/dry apple and dead/dry locust. I had to wait until 10pm when the 2.5yo and 6, no, 7mo are asleep before doing it, but it isn't far and at least at that time there is little to no traffic. Loaded and back home in an hour with around 0.85m3. I may have certain urban challenges, but my supply is already dropped and cut to handling size, which mostly for big rounds means i just split (hence why a 14" bar on an ms180 actually gets 95% of my cutting done)

It's never warm in this house unless I'm home burning wood. The propane keeps it liveable. Burning wood keeps it warm.

I could not imagine living an urban life and burning wood. All my wood is free. I go out and cut dead trees or dieing trees. Occasionally I score a truck load of wood on the side of the road in the suburbs where I work.

I have no idea how the other side of the world works but it sounds like some people work hard over there.

I grew up with my parents keeping the house at 62*f and I'm heating to 70 plus with wood, damn it's warm in here.

I’m shocked and dismayed Kiwibro, I always thought you were a diehard scrounger / wood burner! Have you ever had the pleasure of living in a house with a fire stove?
As for LondonNeil he is a true diehard scrounger/wood burner, probably has the most difficult scrounge conditions of any of us.
I can't stomach seafood either but I sure as heck like fishing :) Only caught one today but a nice pan sized snapper.
Used to have a fireplace in previous house. May have one again, but for now it's a heat pump. Scrounging is in the blood so no way can I stop that. I don't have anything against wood burners. I like it, but can do without it too if there's another heat source.

What does a kWhr cost in NZ. When we bought our house we were turning on the heat pump when we got home from work, 5pm and off at 11pm. 6hr x 25c kWhr x 3.75kW...... about $700 per winter. The beauty of the fire is the house is still warm when we wake up in the morning.
Anyway I’m not going to try to convince you to eat seafood :)

I love my electric splitter. After I bought the house I couldn't afford a lot right away so I picked it up and it really does most of the rounds I throw at it.
I've split up to 24" rounds with it actually. As long as the wood is not too knarly, it does good. Plus the wife can use it no problem.
Plus, you can use it indoors to split kindling and if the weather is howling and cold out.(We get cold cold weather here in Canada Neil...ha,ha)

View attachment 641664
looks good, impressive doing rounds like that. what tonnage is it?

I bought one of those manual hydrolic splitters and it was ok. I used it for the really messed up wood I couldn't split like willow. It lasted a year before I blew out the seal. Cheap electric splitter sounds like another 1 year deal but that looks impressive. I currently hand split.

I bought one of those manual hydrolic splitters and it was ok. I used it for the really messed up wood I couldn't split like willow. It lasted a year before I blew out the seal. Cheap electric splitter sounds like another 1 year deal but that looks impressive. I currently hand split.
Mines about 8 years old and has done many, many cords of wood, like maybe 50 so far.

What does a kWhr cost in NZ. When we bought our house we were turning on the heat pump when we got home from work, 5pm and off at 11pm. 6hr x 25c kWhr x 3.75kW...... about $700 per winter. The beauty of the fire is the house is still warm when we wake up in the morning.
Anyway I’m not going to try to convince you to eat seafood :)
Around 30c/kWh

Back