Comfortable saw? 60-70cc range...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shome10x

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Regardless of brand....which saw do you find the most comfortable in this range? I'm not too old, but my knees, back & hands can't take my older saws any longer (heavy,bad vibe). Nowadays, most work is farm/clearing and firewood.

I've got a "consumer" grade 50cc Red, that I love to run...so lite, it's a joy. But I do run into large(>24") hardwood, including hedge that needs a 20" blade and some horse...

Opinions? I not too concerned about it being a "pro" saw, since I can throw everything in the back of the truck and go home if things go awry...I do it all for fun!

Thanks...Chris G in MO

For me, just about anything Husqvarna. The smoothest saws i have ran are the Husqvarna 555 and 576AT respectively. IMO, Husqvarna has the most comfortable saws to use. That being said, and again only my opinion the Husqvarna 5 series saws are the smoothest.
Hope that helps.

Husky 560xp in 60cc, Husky 372xp in 70cc, to me and many others! :smile2:

- but it may depend how you define comfortable........

Is there such saw ?

The newer saws sure beat the old bone rattlers, of the eleven saws I have, my Mikita 6400 is the most pleasent to use. The Dolly 7900 is almost as pleasent with a little more snot.
The old Mac 10-10s give me lobster claw after a while as duz the Craftsman 20". the little saws 30-40cc are fine for tiny wood.
I was pleasently surprised when after 10 tank fulls the Mikita came alive and started making big chips.
There may be better saws on the market but the Mikita/Dolmar saws do it for me.
YMMV.
FREDM
Always lookin to score a load of FREE wood or a free chainsaw.

Comfortable nowadays means low vibe and lightweight for all day use. In my youth, firewood was an income source so I was always in a rush. Meaning I'd "lean" on a saw to get work done. I'd swap chains instead of sharpen. I'd have the best ergonomics....so on & so forth. I didn't care what it weighed or if my hands tingled for days.

But now, I have time to relax and stop....sharpen chain in field, go back to the house for pie & coffee..take a nap:msp_rolleyes:

So, I just need it lite enough to maneuver well and not get numb hands...

Chris

Husky 372XP ,70.7cc ,6.1 kg powerhead ...Id run a 24" or 28" bar with 3/8 semi chisel chain ...If you can handle an extra 1KG go with the Husky 390XP!!! 87.9cc

Comfortable nowadays means low vibe and lightweight for all day use. In my youth, firewood was an income source so I was always in a rush. Meaning I'd "lean" on a saw to get work done. I'd swap chains instead of sharpen. I'd have the best ergonomics....so on & so forth. I didn't care what it weighed or if my hands tingled for days.

But now, I have time to relax and stop....sharpen chain in field, go back to the house for pie & coffee..take a nap:msp_rolleyes:

So, I just need it lite enough to maneuver well and not get numb hands...

Chris

Then get yourself a Husqvarna 555.

Chris, in your shoes I'd get a Husqvarna 555 like said. 60cc's, lot of power, super smooth and only a bit over 12 lbs.

Me, I use a 346xp the most because of the weight, but it has the power too. And is very smooth.

The 555 looks to have a good bit more power with only a little more weight. The 562xp will be the pro version. I'll be gettin one or the other soon.

Wow not one Stihl answer?:msp_tongue:

Yeah, how about that? I like my MS361 a lot. I don't know that I'd say it's the smoothest, but it is comfortable, not too heavy for the power, and well balanced. I don't have a Husky in that range. I do have a 372xp and agree that it is powerful and smooth and hard to go wrong with one, but although it is light for its power it is a larger, heavier saw than a 60cc saw. I think 60cc is a nice compromise between light enough and enough power. I guess it goes back to the poster who asked how you define comfort. If I had 24"-30" wood to buck all day, a 372xp would be more comfortable. If I was cutting up tops all day, climbing around in the brush and maneuvering the saw a lot, going from 18" to 6", I'd want the MS361. Or whatever Husky somebody thinks is better than the MS361.

I am partial to dolmar and in the cut they are smooth runners. However I will have to say the 600 echo is a smooth runner as well.

Well...looks like I'll trade my 038av for something in the same cc class...

A 70cc may be more practical...but again I can spend more time...

Is there a JRed equivalent to the 555 or 562? I've got a great local Jred dealer, Husky...not so much.

Thanks for the ideas!

Chris

I agree with Neal, find a good used 346 Husky, 260/261 Stihl or any other quality 50cc saw and have it ported. Why carry around the extra weight when it is not needed.

Back