Common man looking for a chainsaw on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are keeping AT to only the expensive saws for now, even though half your kids toys have electronics far more sophisticated than AT.

I took a quick look and every one of those is out of my budget by a fair bit except that I don't know which Jonesred models to look at.

The practice of thrift begins with the purchase of quality.

Don't take me too seriously, however. Some have had trouble with/ just don't like the M-Tronic or AutoTune saws.

It's your money, spend it however you like.

2. Running hard previously with it set too lean scored the cylinder and/or piston so badly it doesn't have enough compression any more.
@LittleLebowski ,

Easy test by the thumb. Pick up the saw, grab the pull chord and let the rest of the saw go.
=> 1. does it fall WITHOUT resistence to the ground? Very bad compression
=> 2. does it stay hanging or slowly "jank" it's way to the ground? Good compression!!!

I'm still going with a vent issue, as everything cools vacuum gets stronger and when it is released you get a surge of fuel into the carburetor before you pump the primer and when you do it floods.

Two choices, buy from a dealer and stare that dude hard in the eyes and say "you set this thing up with correct tune, not too lean, and I know about proper mixed fuel. I don't want this saw to burn up because it is too lean from the factory and %^&*EPA regs"!! And don't buy any saw with a catalytic muffler. Just say no, it would require muffler modding, that's a whole nuther 80 posts to do it, etc and will void the warranty anyway, so just skip anything with a cat muffler.

That's setup breakin tune, after around ten tanks bring it back for another tune, or if it changes noticeably before ten tanks.

Second option, look for a deal from a known member here who knows his %^&* and will send you something that starts and runs, found this, this is a quality 500 buck saw with 300 bucks worth of porting, from a good member and a good member porter.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/4-huskys-and-an-echo.295820/#post-5821869

The 510 is a solid saw but gets little love because the 421 is smaller and performs very well and the 5105 is such a strong 50cc saw but cost more. The 510 falls in between and is an excellent firewood saw.

Sounds like the 40cc 421 would compliment my 50cc Poulan then.

Second option, look for a deal from a known member here who knows his %^&* and will send you something that starts and runs, found this, this is a quality 500 buck saw with 300 bucks worth of porting, from a good member and a good member porter.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/4-huskys-and-an-echo.295820/#post-5821869

I did look hard at that thread but my price range really isn't working with what's left. I want a saw I don't need to tinker with and every time I hear there are great deals on here, I go and look, never see anything. Same for eBay.

Latest posts

Back