compact 4x4 tractor or big atv

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've cut firewood all my short life with some type of 4WD tractor and trailer (although we call 'em wagons around here if they don't have a license plate... don't ask why, I don't know). I can see where an ATV would be handy in tight stuff, but then again, having a tractor gives you an excuse to build tractor roads :)

The tractor will be more expensive for sure, but for a good reason. Now that I'm something of a gentleman farmer, there was no question.

I really like the Branson because it's got a low CoG but still pretty good ground clearance. Last spring I was in axle deep mud and in 4WD with the diff locked (ag tires of course) didn't hesitate a bit.

Good excuse to show off the rig again :)

0210091647b.jpg

0211091724.jpg

I just completed my wood hauling setup today. I have had the Deere for a long time but I just picked up this trailer today. I needed something that was narrow to make it through my trails and still have enough ground clearance to get over stuff. I looked at a bunch and this one stuck. I finally found a used one for a good price so I went and got it this morning. I can hardly wait to fill it up and watch it dump. I still want a ATV but the tractor is going to have to do for a while longer

Metal from crank bearings, etc. found in oil when it is changed. At least on the newer models.

Really!I find that interesting! ( not being a smart ass) most of the Kubota engines I have seen really are put together well! But it's been more than a couple of years since I have been in/worked on one. Thank you for the honest reply!

Really!I find that interesting! ( not being a smart ass) most of the Kubota engines I have seen really are put together well! But it's been more than a couple of years since I have been in/worked on one. Thank you for the honest reply!

My intention was not to knock Kubotas..they are tough, but the metal in the crankcase deal is actually considered normal. I've seen this myself. My tractor-fixin-friend gets a few of them in to work on occasionaly, most of the metal filings/shavings come out at the 500 hr. service interval. A magnet catches most of it.

Sorry trying to figure out the picture thing. I did actually get away from work and go out and haul in one load with the trailer today. It works so nice. Everything is at a working level which is a big change from the other trailer where you were always bending over to pick up sticks. The dump is nice too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Still looking for a compact.Haven't seen one that fits what I'm looking for yet,but it will come along,I did see a 05' brute force 700 for 3,100.Bad thing is that would be about half my tractor money and its butterfly yellow.Its a guys wife's.

Is it just me or is the price of a used atv out of sight. I looked at used for a few months, then went and bought new. 1.9%/36 and I know its never been abused.

:givebeer:

The main knock I've heard on Kubota, mostly the bigger ones, "utility tractors" - 40-100hp, is that the drawbars are weak and will bend with a good load on them...otherwise not a peep out of the orange Japanese tractor owners. I'd be tempted to try a M105 or something close to it, but they seem to be way too high priced compared to an older 100HP 2wd from one of the big mfgs.

MFWD is one of my big wants, but it isn't a need, tire chains and diff lock will get me to 98% of the places I want to go, the other 2% are where the ATV comes in handy.

Is it just me or is the price of a used atv out of sight. I looked at used for a few months, then went and bought new. 1.9%/36 and I know its never been abused.

:givebeer:

New or used I think they are priced out of range! Sure they can be handy, sure they can help around the house/farm, but really at the end of the day, they are play toys. Look at what a decent CUT is priced at, then an ATV or better yet a UTV and I get the WTF look!

In case the photo from the ad disappears, this is the somewhat smaller Bombardier J5. This one is used by Connecticut DEP for forest fire work -- the aluminum box is a water tank, plus it has a small pump on it. Mostly used when they're cutting down smouldering snags and grubbing up hot spots.

ozzie_pike_bombardier.jpg

One day the toy fund may just be big enough when one of these guys comes up for sale!

If anyone's interested, I have a decent collection of photos from my area of forest fire trucks at http://www.d90.us/fire/forest/forestries/.

I will be booed of the site here

I purchased a nice 500 ATP....back in 2004..nice work vehicle.....My dad has a real nice 27 Hp simplicity legacy Gas tractor........with a front loader....I will reluctantly admit this, that little simplicity with a loader is extremely handy to have around....it has power steering and we get through the woods with causing very little damage l.......That loader is handy as can be.....Your not going to pull out large logs with this tractor but I normally cut my stuff up in the woods anyway......The other beautiful thing about this is you can take this little tractor to many different places and get in with minimal damage....

Tractor Prices

I am always suprised at how much tractors cost...especially new. I have an ATV and I wonder how the Arch would work and if I really need it. Typically I just cut my wood in the woods and haul it out.

2 cents from my side

had to make this choice almost a year ago and i went for the small tractor.
Didn't regret it once.

The FEL (front end loader) is as already stated worth gold (and also doubles pricing of these second hand tractors)

There is 1 reason why i would go for an atv and that is when i only need to haul goods over long distances. A tractor is slow for that.

But... i would only consider the question when we are talking about second tractor or atv, not as a first purchase.

These tractors are so versatile that they make you do things you would not even have considered starting before. And so save you buckets of money as you dont have to pay any contractors.

Just one warning, if you go second hand or grey import, go for an agricultural small tractor not a commercial grade allround tractor (difference is in the construction, the allrounders have most of the time a separate engine and gearbox/drivetrain)

The purpose of the last ones was never to do any AG (and be sure that hauling logs, digging stumps etc etc is the same category) work. Also construction wise the AG types are more sturdy build.

new tractors evolved a lot so the difference is less but still pulling a mower or broom is not equal to a plough.

And remember that parts are expensive on these small ones.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back