Comparison between Dolmar PS-510 and PS-5105 includes video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless I missed it, what size bar and chain are you running on them? My 5105 is setup with a 18"(actually 17") 3/8".

Both were the 18" with the .325 chain, .050 width.

How does it pull the 3/8 chain? Is it an upgrade worth considering when my current bar/chain gets tired?

How does it pull the 3/8 chain? Is it an upgrade worth considering when my current bar/chain gets tired?

It pulls it just fine. It has the torque and hp to pull 3/8" pretty good. If you had a b&c laying around you could just get a $5 rim and give it a whirl. If you do you have to trim a small amount of the chip deflector to make clearance for the 3/8" chain to fit. It does tell you that in the owners manual.

Both were the 18" with the .325 chain, .050 width.

I agree that it will pull the 3/8 just fine. My 510 has the 18" or really (17") bar and it runs 3/8" better than .325. Seems to cut faster. IMO it is worth upgrading to depending on what your other saws are running. For this is the reason i run 3/8 because everything else i have runs it.

You need to run 3/8 that's what most of them come with.

3/8 is what should come with these yet I've only ever seen the 0.325 on them at dealerships.

Guess that too many buy into the myth that the 0.325 is always better on a 50cc saw.

3/8 is what should come with these yet I've only ever seen the 0.325 on them at dealerships.

Guess that too many buy into the myth that the 0.325 is always better on a 50cc saw.

It is if you have a 346:msp_biggrin:

If you have a PS-5105 without Easy Start, it would have a 14,500 coil in it, and be significantly lighter as well.

If you have a PS-5105 without Easy Start, it would have a 14,500 coil in it, and be significantly lighter as well.

Confirmed, revs to approx 14,300 on my fleabay tach... but that sucks so it could definately be 14,500. Not sure about lighter... not a heavy saw but I didn't feel it was significantly lighter than the newer 510 with easy start. It is noticably heavier than my poulan 2600.

I have a scale on the way (for UPS stuff) that I'll use to weigh them both.

Confirmed, revs to approx 14,300 on my fleabay tach... but that sucks so it could definately be 14,500. Not sure about lighter... not a heavy saw but I didn't feel it was significantly lighter than the newer 510 with easy start. It is noticably heavier than my poulan 2600.

I have a scale on the way (for UPS stuff) that I'll use to weigh them both.

I meant it is significantly lighter than a current model PS-5105 with EasyStart. Your saw is basically a PS-5100 S with the new crankcase.

Back