Comparison of Cordless Chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorStriker

Reaction score
Hey all, new member here. I was just wondering if anyone had some information on the latest crop of cordless (battery) chainsaws. I've read Zogger's excellent writeup of the Oregon powernow saw as well as watched quite a view videos on Youtube. It seems like it would do a decent job for the average suburban homeowner but of course no match for a gasser. My question is if anyone has done a comparision between the Oregon and some of the others now hitting the market, namely the Stihl MSA 160 (36v). As far as I have been able to research, the following battery chainsaws are on the market:

1. Oregon Powernow
OREGON® PowerNow™ 40V MAX* Cordless Chainsaw Tool System
2. Stihl MSA 160
The new MSA 160 C-BQ cordless chain saw | STIHL
3. Bosch AKE30LI 36v (technically isn't sold yet in the U.S but can be ordered fairly easily)
https://www.gardeningessentials.co.uk/cordless-electric-chainsaw-p-903.html?currency=USD
4. Greenworks 40v Chainsaw
GreenWorks - Product Detail - 40v Chain Saw
5. Ryobi 18v P542 - Total Crap, I've used it and I'd be better off with a pocket knife. It doesn't so much cut the wood as it tries to bite at it and it does that fairly unsuccessfully.
Ryobi 18V ONE+
6. Greenworks 24v Chainsaw - They also have a 20v saw...not sure what would be the difference between 20v and 24v but both would seem to be way underpowered for a saw to me.
GreenWorks - Product Detail - 24V Chain Saw

In addition to these I've found other saws that are sold outside of the U.S
5. Makita 36v UC250
Makita UC250DWB 36V Cordless li-ion Chainsaw 250mm (1 Battery) (UC-250-DWB)
6. Makita 18V 122Z (18v)
Makita BUC122Z 18V 1/4in/115mm LXT Chainsaw (Body Only) (BUC-122-Z)

There's actually quite a few cordless models that are sold outside of the United States but I have been unable to find any useful information on them. I'm interested in the Makita as I've used Makita cordless power tools for a long time now but since the saw is a 36v system it really has nothing in common with my existing tool set. So mostly I'm interested in how the Stihl compares to the Oregon. The Stihl has some appeal as they have some other tools that are already available that can be used like their leaf blower and trimmer.

For future cordless development I think it would be awesome if someone would make a saw that allows you to connect two 36v batteries to it so that you could be running 6 amps/ 72ish volts in full power mode and just run one battery in a longer sustained cutting mode.

Obviously I'm not considering these as a full replacement for a larger gasser but for an average suburban homeowner who has thus far never really needed a chainsaw, something like this makes sense. I often help with workcrews at my church to fell several trees and prune them and I've developed a disdain for the two stroke power equipment. We'll have 4+ chainsaws and only one of them will be working at any given time.

I would certainly like to try the other top end battery saws for an honest comparison, but I've never even seen one. Seems like a job for consumer reports, they got the cash to do that...

I know for the battery packs though, the oregon is the better deal, that you can get from the specs, and the oregon saw is the only one with the built in sharpener, which actually works quite well with that chain. I must say it is quite handy sometimes to go from real dull throwing dust to sharp throwing chips in a few seconds. not that I dislike sharpening chains, I like it, it's just handy and works.

Husky is supposedly releasing a few models of battery saw "soon".

Ya, a "sport" and "economy" mode voltage setting would be nice with the battery packs.

It took ME a bit to get used to the saw and how it cuts. I think similar would happen with most guys, when you first try it it isn't as nice as after you have run a few charges through it and got the hang of how it cuts and how to use it properly compared to a gasser.

yea i saw echo has a whole new line up think they are 58 volt saw them in depot today....i like battery for my hand tools but chainsaws gas is for me.... i can see the home owners digging it though....how heavy was the saw? I only picked up the string trimmer it felt around the same weight as my husqvarna gas one....

Back