complainers... add your stories

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like doing firewood. You have too to do so much work for basically low wages. Which make listening to complainers some what comical. I have to look at it that way as dealing with people can be really great, lots of good folks out there, or... there are the few who make a hobby of complaining.
I have been seasoning oak for two years (24 months) cut, split, stacked, but not covered and little sun. It is nice firewood.
It's 40 degrees out and I get a call. The wood you sold me will not start well. Takes forever.
Okay. I'll be right over with your money and pick it up.
No, no, that's okay. I'll just deal with it.
So I stop by this guys place.
Nice house, well sealed, lots of glass, lots. Two walls of the living room are pretty much all glass and a fireplace.
So my thought is cold chimney, tight house, poor draw.
He has a pile of splits next to the stove and some kindling. Three or four logs starting to coal and going nicely in the fireplace.
All the wood is good size oak, no little stuff, and the kindling is 3/4" x 3/4" lumber rips. He is saying it took him all most an hour to get a fire going because the wood is wet. The kindling burns up but the wood won't take. He has been doing this for forty years and it never took him so long!
I could hear a faint sizzling, but no moisture bubbling out the ends.
I guess he expects to cook hamburgers on a charcoal grill three minute after lighting it. And if he couldn't it would be because... the charcoal must be wet. It is a push button world.
I left him with some home made fire starters made from cardboard egg cartons, dryer lint, and melted candle stubs melted down. Then break them apart into twelve starters. Now even he can start a fire... without kindling. And oh, it was an eight mile trip each way for this clown.

This sounds like a decorative fireplace that does give off some heat, but not the main source of heat. The kind of fireplace one has in their living room to enjoy the "fire".

If this is the case, more decorative than need of heat, he's using the wrong wood. Oak makes for poor flame. It makes coals very well and burns a good while. Sounds like he needs other woods that will produce a flame... something to be enjoyed as people gaze into it.

StihlRockin'

Hmm - for my firewood business, I don't have any complaints yet. Just started this year - sold 8 cords to 4 customers, and a few dozen bundles to 3 different customers. My only complaint is that I messed up my math and gave somebody too much wood.

Hmm - for my firewood business, I don't have any complaints yet. Just started this year - sold 8 cords to 4 customers, and a few dozen bundles to 3 different customers. My only complaint is that I messed up my math and gave somebody too much wood.
Eventually you will get one that cant light it or so they say.

When I started selling firewood, I would sell to anyone. As I got older, I guess I got pickier about whom I sold to. In other words, I fired some of my customers. Had this one really sweet lady, she had an forced air wood furnace in her basement. This thing would devour a cord of wood every other week at temps <40 degrees. So Monday thru Friday her father would fill up the furnace for her. I usually hauled to her bimonthly. She calls in late February says "please bring me another load this week". "And could you please bring more split wood than little round wood the last couple loads were almost all little round wood" she said. Well I didn't understand what she was saying so I loaded up the truck late one evening that week, and left for her house right at daylight. She had already left for work, but her father was there filling up the furnace. I backed in the yard and he said "hey can I help you unload". "Sure thing", I replied. Well I looked at what was left of the stack, and I asked him what is going on with her wood pile. "He said well I like to use the biggest sticks I can in the mornings, so it doesn't go out before I get back in the evenings. And the same in the evenings". So he had been going thru the pile and re-stacking as he went, and all that was left was small rounds from when I started selling to her back in October. I called her when I got home that night and told her what was up. It tickled her that her dad was doing this and she apologized sincerely. The thing was, I was cutting tops off a logging job on my place, and I knew every load was complete tops so the ratio was pretty much always the same.

Seriously - I'm busy. Firewood is only one of my enterprises. Home Improvements, Maintenance man for special-needs homes, rental properties, rental management, plus 8 kids and a pregnant wife, not to mention my own Honey-do list which is a mile long, and (of course) my vital work here on AS posting goofy pics in the WTF thread.

But then, customer service is the best way to grow your business, so I suppose educating the customer is a good way to keep them and to prevent them from telling others (erroneously) that you sell green wood. OK, you've convinced me. I'll go teach them how to start a fire, but only as my schedule allows. Now leave me along and quit nagging me. ;):p

Wait a minute - how DO you start a fire? :oops:

That's how you dispose of any old mix that's getting stale. Then use a road flare to ignite it from a distance (caution: stand back). Then stand by with a handheld blower to provide additional air as needed.

I'll guarantee you this: at this point, starting a fire will be your least concern. ;-)

Edit: I'm kidding. Don't try this indoors. It is a great way to start a green slash pile though. If it needs additional "starter mix", I like to toss about 1/8 filled soda can into the fire.

In 19 years, I've had 3 complaints about the wood not burning well. The first one I took seriously. The other 2 I told them out of at least 800 cords sold through the years, they were complaint number 2 and 3. They didn't like that much but I never had to deal with them again. I must be doing something right though because I have delivered 94 cords in the last 36 days...not bad for something on the side.

Latest posts

Back