Complete gear setup for CSM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goncalo alves

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm hoping that through this thread, I can come up with a complete purchase list for CSM. I want to begin in the next 6 weeks because I'm tired of saying "maybe next year".

I have access to over 400 acres of partially mature timber and it's about time I start making use of it. A mix of hard and soft species. I have some very ambitious goals for the next 12 years that includes timberframing a house and erecting a multi-purpose barn. My wife and I have aggressively saved so that we might get to choose how we want our lives to be lived. I'm hopeful that we can achieve at least a partially subsistent living.

I've been inspired by my grandfather, the Nearings, Thoreau and countless others who have found a way to live a life that I want.

I was looking at the Husky 3120xp but before I pull the trigger, I saw some posts about modifications that needed to make it better. I am not knowledgeable about chainsaw maintenance (yet), so is this something I am capable of? If not, who does it? How much does it cost?

I've seen people going back and forth over the best chains. Anyone care to suggest their favs here?

With that said, if you wanted to suggest your favorite bars here as well? I've seen with the lopro and other chains that certain bars are needed.

I was almost set on purchasing the alaskan because they've been a mainstay in the field for so long but there are some newcomer's, mainly panther mills and Logosol's setup. Anyone care to chime in on their favs?

What other support equipment do you suggest?

I have "Chainsaw Lumbermaking" by Mahoff, are his practices still used?

I'll continue my reading but I was hoping to generate some discussion that would ultimately allow me to create a running log for a purchase list and give me peace of mind that I'm not leaving anything out. I'll continually update the purchase list with a rough approximation for cost.

Purchase List:

You never mentioned what size of trees you have access to ??
Personally I would skip the CSM and go directly to a bandmill. Your statement of ''timberframing a house and erecting a multi-purpose barn'' says it all. To get quality large amounts of lumber from a CSM is doable, it's just a little more doable with a bandmill. Still a wack of work either way.
Since you are not afraid to spend a decent amount for a CMS(Husky 3120xp are not cheap), adding a tad more for a quality bandmill should not be a problem.
G Vavra

I've been debating that kimosawboy. A used bandsaw mill or a Lucas 10-30 or simply start with a quality CSM set-up.

The problem is that I don't have much support equipment, so I need something that allows me to get into the woods to mill some of these logs. That's where the Lucas and CSM shine. I'd really like to have a Woodmizer or TK but if I have to sink another 5-20k in support equipment, we would be way outside of my budget.

I'd like to hear more of your thoughts.

Depending on your log size for alaskan milling get the biggest cc saw you can afford. Remember you lose cutting width when you clamp alaskan frame to bar, Started with a stihl bar but found it had too much flex so went to a 48" gb titanium bar. I use semi chisel 404 063 and grind cutters off to make skip chain. Search up bobl's posts about csm, alot of info to be gained. If your focus is on sawn timber the weekend warrior sawmill is as portable as an alaskan set up.

If you're not wanting to do big wide slabs you may be able to save some money an get a 395. A band mill will be more efficient but if you don't have any access to equipment to move logs to it then its no good.

steve easy, I'd like to hear more about the weekend warrior. How do you like it? Make any videos yet?

Have you tried to double cut with it? Anything else you care to share?

I have some very ambitious goals for the next 12 years that includes timberframing a house and erecting a multi-purpose barn.

It's a pity that the photos have gone but a member by the name of Mtngun built a barn - lots of time required.
As you will need a CS anyway a CSM will give you a feel for how slow it is and help you move onto other gear in time.

I've been inspired by my grandfather, the Nearings, Thoreau and countless others who have found a way to live a life that I want.
I don't recall any chainsaw in "On Golden pond"?

I was looking at the Husky 3120xp but before I pull the trigger, I saw some posts about modifications that needed to make it better. I am not knowledgeable about chainsaw maintenance (yet), so is this something I am capable of? If not, who does it? How much does it cost?
You can use the 3120 stock, but whether you need it to begin with depends on the size of your trees. I wouldn't use a big saw on small trees, it's not necessary and its much harder work.

I've seen people going back and forth over the best chains. Anyone care to suggest their favs here?
Chains are like beer, you try some and then you take it from there. same with bars.

What other support equipment do you suggest?
Here is my list taken from the Milling 101 sticky but reorganised a bit .
Not everything is essential

Large Gear

880/075 for CSM
441 with 25" bar for trimming up and cutting
CSM
Crow bar
Pair of strong collapsible sawhorses
Kangaroo jack for lifting logs
2 x 6ft portable tressle table for servicing saw
unistrut log rails
Box of spare chains
Spare bars
Alternate set of mill rails for mill
cant hooks
broom
axe
shove
fire extinguisher
cordless drill
What I call my offset rack for starting awkward shaped logs
Magnetic anti-sag device for long bars.
tool tote
Plastic chair for sittin and filing!
Oil and gas
fresh gas
mixed gas tank
mix oil
bar oil
Funnel
Oil can - filled with bar oil

PPE
gloves
Chaps
Full Face mask/shield
Battery powered respirator
First aid kit
Hat
Sun Screen

Tool Tote

Scrench(2)
Regular screw driver
#2 phillips screw driver
carb adjusting screw driver
pliers
crescent wrenches (2)
vice grips
tape measure
driver tips #2 & #3
round files
flat file/
3/16” drill for deck screws
counter sink/
allen wrench set
ear plugs/Peltor Muffs
deck screws
Small regular screwdriver
Small 2" vice
Pair of 12" clamps
Digital Angle finder
Regular 24" builders level
Torx driver for new Stihls
Small socket set
Spare nuts and bolts for log rails, mill and saw.

Other stuff
food
water
spare clothes
camera
Paint and paint brush to seal log ends
Tarpaulin to throw over gear if it rains
Toilet Paper
Cell phone
Pack of moist towlettes (fer cleanin greasy hands before eating)

I have "Chainsaw Lumbermaking" by Mahoff, are his practices still used?
By and large yes. If you do what he does and adapt from there you won't go far wrong.

Knowing what your average log will be is an important part of tooling up. Average diameter and species. If you are going to be consistently in the 24-28" and under category, I would take a good hard look at a Logosol M8 and a husky395 or MS660. 24"-28" bar would be plenty. If you are going to be in a lot of over 30" logs, I would look at a 3120 and an Alaskan type setup, and a mini mill on the side on at least a 70cc saw. Will speed up production considerably. I would look at 63pmx stihl chain for the setup on a 395 and smaller saw, would not recommend it on the 3120. Wedges, plastic and or wood, several tapes, a few squares, some chalk line, a good cordless drill/driver or 2, a good selection of good quality screws, 3-3 1/2" long, a good straight and sturdy ladder section(if going with an Alaskan style), a peavy, a good axe(at least a 3 lb head, properly sharpened and hung), lumber crayons, let's see..... Logosol has a real cool log lifting/felling aid called the Logosol timber winch. Worth a consideration. Raker file(s), proper sized saw files, a good filing guide, a good bastard cut mill file (for trueing bar rails and maintenance), spare drive rims, spare bar tips. Among other things.

And all that is pretty much just for cutting. You will also need to move logs and/or lumber. Some or all of the following: truck, tractor, front end loader, skid steer loader, ATV, wagon, trailer, helper(s), tow chains, winches, come-alongs, log tongs, load binders, tie downs, jacks or other lifting devices, etc.

Creativity is also good. It helps you get by with less.

Then you need to stack the lumber to dry. I'll let someone else address that, but there have been several threads on that subject also.

If you "have access to over 400 acres", you may already have some of this stuff, but if you are starting from scratch, leaving an in-town job to 'return to the Earth' it will be a long journey. But life is a journey anyway, you have to go somewhere. I certainly don't want to discourage you. We will be happy to follow along on your journey and provide any help and advice we can. This forum is full of helpful people.

Before long we'll be learning some things from you.

I like the warrior because its truly portable and can do any size log. No videos as yet, if i am after 12x1's i use the warrior to take the top and sides off the log then wind mill out of way and use alaskan to take flitches off. Have not used a guide board when csm since the warrior turned up as its just as quick to set the warrior mill up and take boards off untill i get down to where i want to start slabbing. Unless the log is longer than mill then i go for malloffs short guide board and lag bolts.

Latest posts

Back