Completed Splitter Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today the splitter was pushed out of the shop and into the yard for start up and trial run. Ran like a top, split even better. Started with the I-beam and splitter wedge given to us by a friend, my brother and I fabbed the rest over the last 3 months. Thanks for all the tips and technical info.

good work chub

just curious ,,,i am planning to build a splitter also,but is it really worth the time and money to build (besides pride in good work) i think it would be but,how much $$ did you save if any?

I would say if you had to buy any of the steel it would not be worth it. All the 3" channel for the running gear my brother got at work, the piece of pipe for the hyd tank I got from work ,all I had to do was put fittings and ends on it. Like I said the I beam and the wedge and pusher was from the older man who gave us a splitter years ago. The motor was off a old mower that was otherwise finished. So the main items I had to buy were the pump,hoses,fittings,axle,hyd fluid,paint,lovejoy,gauge,battery and some other items I most likely forgot. The steel for the motor mount and control tower ect I had and made in our shop. Just for an idea the motor mount I made I got priced out at a bunch of mech shops in my area; what I wanted was a 9x18x9 inch piece with two bends to make the u shaped piece I needed ,and the lowest price was $75 and That was not to put the gussets or pump mount or flanges on it to mount it. So I just made it out of three 1/4 steel plates I had at home. So all that to say this If you have alot of steel ,patience and time go for it,If you dont have some of the key items you may want to price everything out and add a couple hundred -Chub I fogot to answer your later part of the question, being that we had most everything we did it for about half or less.

Last edited:
Nice job! Its very professional looking. One thing that I had to go back and do to mine was add a support to the front of the cylinder to keep it from moving around.

You and your brother are pretty talented, I build machines for a living and can see talent when it shines.....Good Job....

Very nice and tidy machine, one question how do you find the wedge performs? I was undecided as to make just a straight 1'' blade or set it at an incline? or to make it similar to yours with a secondary wider split?

Cheers

:)

The wedge seems to work fine, however I do believe it to be the weak point because the beam and wedge were the only thing used from the old splitter. I think I will have to box the I beam up front because we are getting some flexing with the new configuration. The splitter splits wood well at even an idle and running about 3/4 it does about 10-12 second cycles. Thanks for the compliments, We have built many things before but never a splitter,I have to say it was alot of fun. Chub

That is a fine looking homebuilt for sure Chub. Nice job. Clean design. I like it. I see a log lifter and work tables in your future. :clap: :clap:

I tried to post a short video that was within the size limits,but it would not work. Does anyone know if this can be done? Chub

splitter pics

Here is the one I built didnt know how to just transfer the pics.

nice job, chub!!!!

nothing feels better than to see your own creation working.

good luck with it.

Latest posts

Back