Conversations with a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounty Hunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Late Sunday afternoon I began the usual routine of cleaning, sharpening, and filling all the saws with gas and oil. When I had our newest saw, a Stihl ms260 Pro, sitting on the bench I noticed something different about it. So I asked the saw, "Where were you made"?
The saw, being a little shy, didn't immediately reply.
Looking it over, I noted that it's bar says "Stihl USA", and "Made in USA". But looking at the powerhead, I said, "you have a few stickers on you, mostly about reading your Owner's manual and wearing Personal Protection Equipment. Some stickers might have already fallen off, since you've been out a bunch of times already. But you don't have a badge on your left side like your brothers and sisters do that says MADE IN GERMANY. So, where were you made?"
The saw, indignant by now from all of the inspections, said "Why don't you look at my box, it will tell you my Country of Origin".
"Actually" I said, "The dealer didn't give me your box when I adopted you, he took you in the back, test ran and tuned you, and brought you out with just your tool kit and two spare chains"
Clearly I had irritated the saw by now, as it said "for someone who keeps US SAWS so sharp, you'er not too sharp yourself".
"That's NOT COOL, ms260 Pro. The very fact that I load you guys up in the big trailer and go CUT WOOD makes that apparent. But I'm not the issue here...you are. I still don't know where you are made".
Backing down from the confrontation, the saw decided to sit there and pout in silence.
"Now don't get me wrong," I explained, "I won't treat you any different or think of you any less if you are made, for instance, in China. I might have to learn a little more Chinese, though. All your brothers and sisters are adopted too, just like you. Even that big dumb ms 660 magnum, who is such a show-off, got adopted two weeks before you were. I love all of you, You are all Special".
The saw seemed to respond to that show of honesty, and started on the second pull. The chain, freshly oiled by hand, zipped crisply around the bar.
I went on to reassure it by saying "It's okay...you are a great little saw. Sorry I upset you. I'm going to put you in your case now, so sleep tight."
Just for fun I said "Look...the ms660 doesn't even have a case...he's got an old sweatshirt wrapped around him like a straight jacket."
The ms260 Pro chuckled from inside it's case. All is well with our little family again.
But...I never did find out where it's made.

I think all new US-distributed saws up to the MS361 are made in VA Beach, VA. MS441 and above are German-made.

Late Sunday afternoon I began the usual routine of cleaning, sharpening, and filling all the saws with gas and oil. When I had our newest saw, a Stihl ms260 Pro, sitting on the bench I noticed something different about it. So I asked the saw, "Where were you made"?
The saw, being a little shy, didn't immediately reply.
Looking it over, I noted that it's bar says "Stihl USA", and "Made in USA". But looking at the powerhead, I said, "you have a few stickers on you, mostly about reading your Owner's manual and wearing Personal Protection Equipment. Some stickers might have already fallen off, since you've been out a bunch of times already. But you don't have a badge on your left side like your brothers and sisters do that says MADE IN GERMANY. So, where were you made?"
The saw, indignant by now from all of the inspections, said "Why don't you look at my box, it will tell you my Country of Origin".
"Actually" I said, "The dealer didn't give me your box when I adopted you, he took you in the back, test ran and tuned you, and brought you out with just your tool kit and two spare chains"
Clearly I had irritated the saw by now, as it said "for someone who keeps US SAWS so sharp, you'er not too sharp yourself".
"That's NOT COOL, ms260 Pro. The very fact that I load you guys up in the big trailer and go CUT WOOD makes that apparent. But I'm not the issue here...you are. I still don't know where you are made".
Backing down from the confrontation, the saw decided to sit there and pout in silence.
"Now don't get me wrong," I explained, "I won't treat you any different or think of you any less if you are made, for instance, in China. I might have to learn a little more Chinese, though. All your brothers and sisters are adopted too, just like you. Even that big dumb ms 660 magnum, who is such a show-off, got adopted two weeks before you were. I love all of you, You are all Special".
The saw seemed to respond to that show of honesty, and started on the second pull. The chain, freshly oiled by hand, zipped crisply around the bar.
I went on to reassure it by saying "It's okay...you are a great little saw. Sorry I upset you. I'm going to put you in your case now, so sleep tight."
Just for fun I said "Look...the ms660 doesn't even have a case...he's got an old sweatshirt wrapped around him like a straight jacket."
The ms260 Pro chuckled from inside it's case. All is well with our little family again.
But...I never did find out where it's made.

or this post could have been titled "Where are 260's made"?

don't worry, when you have been back on your meds for a few days the conversations with inanimate objects will subside. it's ok, really!!!! just a little pin prick. there'll be no more pain. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

So, I'm not the only guy who talks to my saws?

No you are not. However, usually when I reach this stage the conversation is very one sided and includes a lot of profanity. Then we have drinks and all is forgotten.

No you are not. However, usually when I reach this stage the conversation is very one sided and includes a lot of profanity. Then we have drinks and all is forgotten.

+1!!!!

You should see my "conversations" with the MAC 550.....

No, there are many who talk to their saws, but only a few "special" ones who hear them talk back.:)

Hey, it's all fine and good until your wife walks in on ya.

In the event that that happens and she wants an explanation, just say you wanted to be involved in a conversation where you could get a word in edgewise.

...A sure way to ensure you'll have more time to spend with your saws in the garage. :laugh:

Bounty Hunter........Fish........ Bounty Hunter .....Fish ????????

Both my Huskys told me they were from Sweden, but the 076 said the 141 was Poulan my leg.

I talked to my 015 today.It was one sided and consisted of a few choice words when the starter rope broke.Not as easy to replace as my Husqvarna's.:givebeer:
attachment.php

Bounty Hunter/Tommy Boy

This thread reminds me of the scene in the movie "Tommy Boy" where Chris Farley's character is pretending to be holding a potential sale in his hand and speaking to it like it was a naughty pet.

Latest posts

Back