converting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FBX1986

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK,
this is one for for all the metric using(Canadians) folks out there. How do i convert cubic meters to board feet ? i have Scribners Tables for gross volume in board feet. but do measure DBH in cenitmeters and lengths in meters??????? do the mills in B.C. buy logs in meters....??????

Using the built-in unit values, my Hewlett Packard 48S calculator shows the conversion from 1_fbm to be 0.002359737216_m^3 so take the number of board-feet you've got and multiply it by 0.00236 to get cubic meters.

I don't think it necessarily works so well in reverse, but by pure volume, 1_m^3 is 423.776000658_fbm

Glen

Originally posted by xander9727
Just use the english system, it's so much easier and better.

I agree, but the rest of the world is on the metric system, were behind the times because we cling to the old English measuring units. We are going to have to change sometime. I don't have the trouble I use to using metric tools ( the odd numbers are the 1/16ths ) when we are talking ropes it gets a little confusing.

One thing that doesn't convert to good, is the good old 36-24-36, doesn't sound as good in metric what ever that converts to.

Larry

The metric system is born of bad logic. The english system uses twelve inches in a foot. It is divisable by 2, 3, 4 and 6. One inch is approximately the distance from your last knuckle to the end of your index finger. One foot is approx. the size of a grown mans foot. The metric system is based on 10. It is divisable by 2 and 5. One centimeter is approx?????? a meter is approx??????. With the farenheit system 100 degrees is the hottest temperture the average human will ever encounter outside. 0 degrees is the coldest temperature the average human will encounter outside. This makes it easy to approximate temperature. Who the really cares when water freezes or boils. Do we use a thermometer when performing these task? No, we can see if it's boiling or frozen.

I think the metric system is more regressive than progressive.

My $.02

Xander "Censored on the Treehouse" 9727

one CENTimeter is 1/100 of a meter, one meter is 1/1000 of a KILOmeter, everything is based on 1, 10, 100, 1000. the math couldnt be any easier. our only problem (current North America and other parts of the World, is that we are supposed to know both and how to convert, thats where the numbers get all farked up)

IMHO

how does the amount of feet in a mile make any sense? in relation to inches and perhaps yards? the numbers dont have a logical progression mathematically, at least I dont know of one but I was brought up on the metric so I could be off base.

one hectare is 10,000 square meters. how does one come up with an acre? 44, 000 odd square feet? the 100 degrees average human thing, well, I been in 120 something in Vegas.. does that make me an above average human? haha. just kidding. Not trying to get your goat Xander, just throwing thoughts in from the metric side.

A mile is derived from 8 furlongs, a furlong is 660 feet. A furlong was the average distance a horse could plow before taking a break. This is why an acre is 66 feet wide by 660 feet long. These are the best answers I can come up with off the top of my head. Please add more if you know more.

fair enough on the reason, but, how does the metric system be regressive vs measuring by how far a horse can plow? :)

While it's easy to use on paper it is far more cumbersome in practice. It is easy to divide something if you have references with you at all times (fingers, feet, etc). With long distances it doesn't matter which system you use. With smaller distances it's more difficult (IMO) to estimate accurately.

I spose. you need to have one unit of measurement in mind as a reference to use any of the systems. some you can easily use body parts or such as reference, heck we have most of those parts (most of us anyways) fairly close by at most times. ah, to each their own, I will keep on trying to use both when I need to, metric when I dont.

The Imperial system of measurements and the english language is a conglomerate of bastardization from every nationality that has ever traipsed thru the british isles.( I dont know why the USA is so protective of it) There are systems and languages though that are far more regular and precise.

Originally posted by xander9727
Just use the english system, it's so much easier and better.

It's called metric and you guy's are the only ones not using it!
I learned both but it doesn't get much easier than the metric system
If you got ten fingers you can do it!
Later
John

The origin

OLden times. 1 inch,is the length of 3 barley corns. 1 span[of the hand spread]is 9 inchs.1 hand[horse measurement] is 4 inchs.1 cubit,length from elbow to end of figers,is 18 inches.Length of outstreched arms,finger tip to finger tip equals heigth,normaly taken as 6 ft.Normal stride,is 1/2 heigth,normaly taken as 3 feet or 1 yard.A rod is normaly taken as 5.5 yards but can vary. 40 rod in a furlong.1 acre is 160 sq rods or about 200 by 200 ft,rounding it off.640 acres in 1 square mile.Metric,2.54 cm=1 inch,right back to the barley corn,whatever that is.:) Seems funny,merry olde England gave us this system of measurement,then went to metric,go figure.

THe Metric System is scientific (based upon the diameter of the earth) and very logical and easy to use since it is all based upon multiples of ten and we use a base ten math system. Unfortunately I grew up with the English system and now I think in English units. Converting English to metric is horribly cumbersome. There is no way that I can logically criticize the metric system-perhaps the best of 3 or 4 good things to come out France. The fact that I am more comfortable with the English system has NOTHING to do with which is superior.

The invention of the metric system in its historical perspective, was a left-wing knee jerk reaction to eliminate the last vestiges of the French monarchy following the revolution. It was hardly an effort to make anything better or uniform.

Any measuring system is only as good as any of the idiots that can or can't learn how to use anything. Dividing by ten, or dividing by four, where's the drama? Conversions don't trip up people, math does. (no offense intended Justin, please don't start a boot Newfie poll:p ;) )

Last edited:
Back