conveyors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

im2tall

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Chomper 14 and now that my wife is trained, qualified and has more hours on it than I do, I spend more time loading and making deliveries. (Good thing) The Chomper produces lots of chips and loading with the tractor includes lots of chips in the load. (Bad thing) I have an old hay elevator that needs work and I think if I can get it to function properly, it could filter out all those chips. The drive is PTO but I want to go with a small engine or use hydraulics off the Chomper.
So my questions are:
1. Anyone have a conveyor that filters the chips?
2. What do you do with all the chips? (I have 4-5 cords worth, for FREE)
3. How do you power your conveyor?
4. Comments?
Thanks in advance for your ideas, thought and comments.
2-Tall

PS: If you are in Cheyenne, I'll load your truck with chips, FREE!

I've got a chomper, and I built my conveyor from an old hay bale loader. Took a little thinking, but the 12' loader made a real nice 16' conveyor. It's powered by a 3 12 horse briggs now, was ground driven.
I guess a guy could get creative and put some gaps in the bottom to get rid of some of the trash, but I can see a lot of problems to overcome with a chain driven rig.
Personally, if someone wants a load without chips, or bark I charge extra. Not much market I've found for them.

Andy

when that conveyor was a farm ear corn conveyor, it likely had a section about 2 ft long with slots in it, for loose kernals and dirt to drop through. There was a plate that slid under and covered the slots to use or for grain or shelled corn. The slots would be too small for chips, but maybe do the same principal: make a 3 ft (or more) section with rods or tubes as the bottom so the chips could fall through? Or, a sloping panel sloping down, after the outlet end, made of these grate rods, like is done on dirt conveyors to screen out rocks?

chip seperator

when that conveyor was a farm ear corn conveyor, it likely had a section about 2 ft long with slots in it, for loose kernals and dirt to drop through. There was a plate that slid under and covered the slots to use or for grain or shelled corn. The slots would be too small for chips, but maybe do the same principal: make a 3 ft (or more) section with rods or tubes as the bottom so the chips could fall through? Or, a sloping panel sloping down, after the outlet end, made of these grate rods, like is done on dirt conveyors to screen out rocks?

I made mine out of sheet metal 12 ga,..I made a u shaped pan approx 18in wide ,..2 in, upright wings,.. slotted mounting holes and steped mounting bracket holes, for gap adjustment, the pan extendes beyond the elevator a few inches,.... the chipes, are 2-4 inches, and fall in that gap I have it mounted so the pan returns the chips twards the bottom of the elevator,, chips are short, 2-4 in , maybe.,, logs are 16 in plus,.. Works great,.. Eric

we use a rubber belted conveyor to stack the wood from our chomper...we had a chain drive one but it sucked...

it runs on electric motor...

all the chips fall off before the conveyor..i just throw them in a pile in the bush

Adam

I watched a video on the local news the other night and a firewood dealer had a grate platform where the wood fell off the top of the conveyor, it was at an angle and the wood fell a couple feet before striking it. The duff fell through the grate and the wood bounced into the truck.....clean wood, good idea.

Thanks to all for the thoughts, comments and ideas. I'll have to get that elevator working and then think up a grate system.

Didn't get any takers on the FREE pile if chips!!

conveyor

I've got a chomper, and I built my conveyor from an old hay bale loader. Took a little thinking, but the 12' loader made a real nice 16' conveyor. It's powered by a 3 12 horse briggs now, was ground driven.
I guess a guy could get creative and put some gaps in the bottom to get rid of some of the trash, but I can see a lot of problems to overcome with a chain driven rig.
Personally, if someone wants a load without chips, or bark I charge extra. Not much market I've found for them.

Andy

How did you modify the hay conveyor to carry wood?

Back