Convince me that a hard hat is necessary

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of good reasons... what about first aid kits?

Thanks again for all the posts....

Like I said, I'm already sold.... Then again I was when I started this post. There's lots of stories that I should be able to use to convince Dad. Its always easier to see the err of your ways by reviewing incidents (pardon the pun) that have impacted others.

What about first aid kits, I normally keep one in the truck, but the truck can be pretty far out sometimes. What do you guys take into the bush with you? I'm thinking a few compresses, some fishing line with a needle, a couple tubes and elastic bands, tape, and a tensor bandage. I'm going to find a small kit that clips on my belt and stuff it with things suited for 1st aid on large tissue damage. Any suggestions of what should be in there?

Take Care,

Thanks again for all the posts....

Like I said, I'm already sold.... Then again I was when I started this post. There's lots of stories that I should be able to use to convince Dad. Its always easier to see the err of your ways by reviewing incidents (pardon the pun) that have impacted others.

What about first aid kits, I normally keep one in the truck, but the truck can be pretty far out sometimes. What do you guys take into the bush with you? I'm thinking a few compresses, some fishing line with a needle, a couple tubes and elastic bands, tape, and a tensor bandage. I'm going to find a small kit that clips on my belt and stuff it with things suited for 1st aid on large tissue damage. Any suggestions of what should be in there?

Take Care,

'Unflavored' dental floss works better for sutures... And you should add a few Tampons to that list. The Tampons work great for deep puncture wounds. Also, you should have a few Hemostat Forceps.

I had a hanger drill me in the head once, I was pulling on another and did not notice this one, which came loose and butt ended me in the forehead, sent me flying into a snow drift. Wudda hurt without the lid for sure.

I got whacked upside the head last day on the job a week ago while sticking a 4 foot long chunk of 6" wood into the chipper. Had a bend in it and the wheels grabbed it just right, spun it around and "bang!" into the side of my hat. Wouldn't have done much damage but with my hat on didn't even phase me.

On a side note, I just convinced my partners to start wearing hats. Combine that with our new shirts and when I looked across the canopy of a large Norway Maple Saturday to see my brother tied in twice with PPE on made me realize how much that simple hat adds to how professional we now look, he completely agreed. Never again will we go without.

If you're wearing all that PPE and no helmet then apocryphal stories probably won't convince you. Try this experiment. Put your head down and close your eyes and walk into the the corner of a door or kitchen cabinet at walking speed, which is 3 or 4 mph. Now try to imagine something falling at 60 or 100 mph on your same unguarded head.
Stay safe,
Phil

1. Modern safety helmets are colored brightly to accent your wonderful red cheeks.
2. To aid in identifying/protecting the wearer from a woodbe or wouldbe hunter and/or other men working in the bush. Being visible to all in the forest is essential to coming home in one piece. Not just saving your head. :clap: :clap:

Jonsered 670 670 630 630 2050 2065
Husqvarna 254xp 257 61 61 357xp

My 020 kicked backed at me about 5 years ago, the tip hit something just right and it flew right at my forehead, by far the closest call I've had doing treework, it wasn't your normal kickback, it felt like someone wound up and hit me with a ball bat, gave me whiplash. fortunately I was wearing a hardhat which suffered a nasty gash across the top and brim, but my head and face were protected. lucky lucky me.

Last edited:
1. Modern safety helmets are colored brightly to accent your wonderful red cheeks.
2. To aid in identifying/protecting the wearer from a woodbe or wouldbe hunter and/or other men working in the bush. Being visible to all in the forest is essential to coming home in one piece. Not just saving your head. :clap: :clap:

Jonsered 670 670 630 630 2050 2065
Husqvarna 254xp 257 61 61 357xp

Oh your still saving your head. From a bullet versus a stick of wood! :cheers:

In cut a springpole that whacked me on the hardhat just above the brim. The blow stunned me even with the hat on. If I wasn't wearing the hat I may not be sitting here typing.

Wear the hat. I always wear the hat while in the tree, but for some reason not always on the ground. And seldom the chaps my daughter gave me. Go figure. Got to change that. Thanks. Guess I just needed to say that.

Ive never worn the safety chaps or ear protection I should wear,but a hard hat is a real good idea.I have an uncle that was hit by a small 2" locust limb that only fell about 20 feet from a tree,put him deaf in 1 ear and he never was quite right again.I got bonked in the head with a pretty good size dead poplar limb myself,so a hard hat is a must for me anymore when droppin ANY tree

Followed by "If you are careful and watch what you are doing like I taught you, you shouldn't have anything fall on you".

Yep. And if you are driving carefully and doing everything like you should, you'll never need a seat belt.

Only nobody has 100% perfect powers of observation, so won't see every danger every time, and some dangers aren't visible until it's too late.

Not to mention, other people sometimes do things that they shouldn't, and the idiot isn't always the person who gets hurt.

Ive never worn the safety chaps or ear protection I should wear,but a hard hat is a real good idea.I have an uncle that was hit by a small 2" locust limb that only fell about 20 feet from a tree,put him deaf in 1 ear and he never was quite right again.I got bonked in the head with a pretty good size dead poplar limb myself,so a hard hat is a must for me anymore when droppin ANY tree

I find that kind of logic funny and sad. I guess it will take a cut to your leg to have you wear chaps? Loss of hearing to wear the hearing protection?

I think it is ok if you don't wear em, I'm all for freedom to choose what you will and will not do for your own safety. I just thought the logic was funny :cheers:

If looking at something like this don't convince you, Nothing will. This was done with a chainsaw,

jaccidem00007-0051-a.jpg

What about first aid kits, I normally keep one in the truck, but the truck can be pretty far out sometimes. Take Care,

i have a "loggers" first aid kit in my back pack. that back pack goes wherever i go.

i also have a small jungle first aid kit that i bought at an army navy store. that goes on the saddle.

i have yet to use them but they are there.

This topic has been discussed before and could find it in a search. As a EMT I have seen a lot of things happen that was unplanned for. This is the reason they call them accidents.

However we have been taking them off after the bucket truck is in the cradle but after reading these posts and not thinking about hard hat protection during a kick back. We may need to rethink our procedure.

"We take time for safety because we don't have time for accidents"

Back