Convince me that a hard hat is necessary

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is nothing overhead that could fall, or dislodge a piece to fall, then the need for the helmet seems pointless.

That's when I wear eye or face protection.

For people who cut a lot, the face shields seem like a really dandy item.

If you are talking about just working on the ground, but canopy is overhead, the risk could be compared to a hiker walking under forest canopy. Unless what you are cutting on the ground recently was dropped, with potentially loose debris overhead.

Scary pic

"If looking at something like this don't convince you,"

Stihl Sawing......

That's a scary pic man.

Devil's advocate..... how would a hard had have saved that guy cutting his neck?

Anyhow, Like I said..... I'll be buying one. Lots of good reasons to wear one.

Cheers.

A hat probably wouldn't have stopped that,But i have seen pics of a mans head that didn't look too much better. I'm guilty of not wearing one. Many years i never wore one, But the saws were no way near as fast and powerful as these new saws. They didn't turn the rpm's that can cause more of a kickback. I wear one now, They are hot and bulky, but i feel a lot safer with one on. And have been hit in the helmet a couple of times by limbs, Nothing that would have killed me , but would have been a good headache.

Convince you TO wear a hardhat?

Why, eventually Darwin's theory will prove correct and this entire thread will be pointless as you won't be around to read it. Then again, maybe someone will read it to you?

It's great to see so may safety minded individuals on this site.....

It's great to see that there are so many people that couldn't let this topic go without saying something. It shows that many of us are truly safety minded and not willing to let others away with stupid/dangerous acts.

Its funny I started this thread knowing I should buy one, but not too sure how to convince my father that he should have one as well..... I've got lots of ammo for our discussion now. Thank you. I didn't expect that this thread would make 2 pages, let alone 3.

Take Care everyone, be safe.

Chris

well im 16 and i always wear a hard hat now when i am falling trees i was cutting one down the other day and one of the branches caught another tree and broke and you couldnt even tell it was falling hit me right in the head..........glad i had it on to cant imagine how it woulda felt without a hard hat... ever since then my friend i cut with wears one too when we cut trees down............now i just always wear it when i am cutting it became a habit even before it hit me

Last edited:
I just bought a petzl vent with earmuffs and faceshield, 157 bucks-and the #@#@##$ thing is catching the hairs on the back of my head in the ratchet strap and pulling on them, its really pissing me off. Anybody else have this problem? and how to fix? otherwise I like it, looks more pro so wtf.

If there is nothing overhead that could fall, or dislodge a piece to fall, then the need for the helmet seems pointless.

That's when I wear eye or face protection.

For people who cut a lot, the face shields seem like a really dandy item.

If you are talking about just working on the ground, but canopy is overhead, the risk could be compared to a hiker walking under forest canopy. Unless what you are cutting on the ground recently was dropped, with potentially loose debris overhead.

1) kickback
2)springpoles

2 reasons that have already been discussed on this thread

Similar problem

I just bought a petzl vent with earmuffs and faceshield, 157 bucks-and the #@#@##$ thing is catching the hairs on the back of my head in the ratchet strap and pulling on them, its really pissing me off. Anybody else have this problem? and how to fix? otherwise I like it, looks more pro so wtf.

To keep the webbing from catching mine, I wear a bandana over my hair, under the bucket. Also helps keep sweat out of my eyes!

Reasons FOR the hard hat and faceshield:

If I keep the faceshield down, it keeps sticks from going up my nose and skritchin my brain when I'm lugging brush.

Never have to worry about doin' my hair for work.

I'd look kinda dumb yelling at my new groundie to put his hard hat on, if I wasn't wearing mine.

Gravity works.

Last edited:
Helmet Recommendation Please

Hello,
I cut firewood for my own use, and am going to buy a helmet. I would like something with these features:

1. Strong!
2. Ear Protection Flips up Easily.
3. Mask can flip up Easily.
4. Venting for hot days.

Safety is my first concern, and I am happy to sacrifice some of these desired features for the best in safety. I have seen the damage a 2" limb can do from a short distance up.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Bill

Hello,
I cut firewood for my own use, and am going to buy a helmet. I would like something with these features:

1. Strong!
4. Venting for hot days.

Safety is my first concern, and I am happy to sacrifice some of these desired features for the best in safety. I have seen the damage a 2" limb can do from a short distance up.

Bill
Mine is the one stihl sells, It has all the features you listed except the venting. It does get hot in the summer, I do as chainsaw sally and wear a rag on my head under it to soak up the sweat. Someone posted a hat with vents in it a while back, They will probably respond here shortly.

Widow makers

Ditto... I look at it this way, Why take any unnecessary risk? Most of my cutting is of the large scale firewood variety, so I rarely am risking something falling on my head. Kickback and chips in the eye are my only risks, and I have that 3 in 1 Stihl Promark helmet deal. I figure if I get in the habit of wearing all necessary safety stuff, when I DO go into the woods to fell, I'm used to it, it's not cumbersome, and I have some protection from Widowmakers and the like....

A bit off topic, but...

..., But the saws were no way near as fast and powerful as these new saws. They didn't turn the rpm's that can cause more of a kickback. ...

The old time saws were MUCH worse about kickback. Here's why:

1. They never even heard of a chain brake.
2. Because they were slower turning engines, they had more torque to overpower the operator with.
3. Because they turned slower with higher torque, they used that torque to POWER a larger, heavier chain through the wood. They made bigger, deeper cuts to get through the wood, rather than "faster & smaller" cuts.

My old Mall chainsaw has a 3' bar and 3/4" pitch chain. It even has a gear reduction in the worm drive that turns the chain. NO WAY could you have safely held the bar to cut wood using the top of the bar. It would have been instant kickback.

To keep the webbing from catching mine, I wear a bandana over my hair, under the bucket. Also helps keep sweat out of my eyes!

Reasons FOR the hard hat and faceshield:

If I keep the faceshield down, it keeps sticks from going up my nose and skritchin my brain when I'm lugging brush.

Never have to worry about doin' my hair for work.

I'd look kinda dumb yelling at my new groundie to put his hard hat on, if I wasn't wearing mine.

Gravity works.

I use a fitted cotton welders cap under my hardhat, it soaks up the sweat & once wet it helps keep me cool.

Or presoak it with water, with a breeze you are cool.

Hello,

1. Strong!
4. Venting for hot days.

Bill

Stick with the bigger name brands, and you won't go wrong. Avoid A.O. Smith.

Back