cooking with wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24d

Turns Wood To Ashes
Reaction score
what types of wood do you guys think gives the best flavor - I use mostly oak and hickory and burn about a cord a week - Iv never really tried much else

what types of wood do you guys think gives the best flavor - I use mostly oak and hickory and burn about a cord a week - Iv never really tried much else

I love cooking on wood.

Depending upon wether I'm grilling or smoking, I use different species/combinations of wood.

I like hickory best for heat, mild good flavor. Oak works well too, but tastes a bit stronger.

For smoke flavor, I think fresh cut cherry provides far and away the best flavor, one thing though, if you're smoking something for more than eight hours, straight cherry flavor may be too strong.

Apple wood also gives good smoking or grilling flavor, as does plum.

Pecan is supposed to be great also, but I've never had a chance to try it.

You must be cooking professionally, to be using a cord a week, right? How much meat does a cord cook, and what are you cooking it in?

yes I do - 200 chickens - 10 pigs - 100lbs of beef - per week give or take a lil
Its a family business and has been for around 100 yrs or so.
A big chimney - holds about 3 sq feet - shovel out the coals - put them under the meat in a brick pit or grill -its kinda like a back yard grill just bigger-I use 4 diff ones - one at 6ft by 4 ft then 3 more at 15ft by 4ft

yes I do - 200 chickens - 10 pigs - 100lbs of beef - per week give or take a lil
Its a family business and has been for around 100 yrs or so.
A big chimney - holds about 3 sq feet - shovel out the coals - put them under the meat in a brick pit or grill -its kinda like a back yard grill just bigger-I use 4 diff ones - one at 6ft by 4 ft then 3 more at 15ft by 4ft

Where are you cooking? I do comp bbq and there aren't many places still cooking with wood. Lexington #1 and Allen and Sons are a couple of the ones that I know of still using wood. N C finally got smart and started the "Old BBQ Trail" and honored the places that have been doing it right for decades. Instead of running them out of business they are making them historic landmarks. I want to spend a week or two touring BBQ joints in the Carolinas. James Early has a book about Tar Heel BBQ.

where are you at?

I'd like to stop for a feed, if I'm anywhere close...

you just made me drool. that sounds delicious...wood fired bbq. there are a couple of places that i have been to in NYC that bbq with wood. the smell emanating from the restaurantsis unreal. hoping to get a prefabricated outdoor brick oven at some point, so i can make some wood-fired brick oven pizzas and other dishes as well. do you have any pics of your setup?

Im pretty sure we'r in bout all the books an mags-Bum's restaurant is our place and my cousin's place just down the road is the skylight inn-we'r just outside of greenvill n.c. in a town called Ayden. ok I know you'r wonder'n bout the names lol my father's nic is bum because it took g-ma a long time to think up a name, my aunt said he'd be a no name bum-50yrs ago my cousin's place was a dirt strip air port they had a contest for the name-skylite inn won-200 yrs ago there was a village kown as a place low life hung out-"a den" of theifs they added the Y to be fancy lol.
Ill try to get some pic up-my lil one will have to I dont no how lol!
Thank you all for your input !!

Larry W. Dennis

EEEE HAAA,

We cook with wood all the time. Have a smoker- grill that was made in Oklahoma. Dump in a pail of hot charcoals from the OWB add the Hickory or other fruits and away we go in 10 minutes or less ! Excellent !

Goody Cole's Smoke House in NH ( Rt 125 ) cooks with wood and has some great recipes.

EEEE HAAA,

We cook with wood all the time. Have a smoker- grill that was made in Oklahoma. Dump in a pail of hot charcoals from the OWB add the Hickory or other fruits and away we go in 10 minutes or less ! Excellent !

Goody Cole's Smoke House in NH ( Rt 125 ) cooks with wood and has some great recipes.

where on 125 is this? I will down there from Milford saturday and could eat after I play golf in Kingston.

where on 125 is this? I will down there from Milford saturday and could eat after I play golf in Kingston.

Rt 101 East to Rt 125. Go right off ramp onto Rt 125. Go about 1.5 to 2 miles on the right. You might want to check their web site for the hours, etc.
Tell them the Hickory wood supplier sent you.

Hbbyloggr

Rt 101 East to Rt 125. Go right off ramp onto Rt 125. Go about 1.5 to 2 miles on the right. You might want to check their web site for the hours, etc.
Tell them the Hickory wood supplier sent you.

Hbbyloggr

Thanks, just checked, open 11:30 and I will drop your name when I get there.
Scott

Ok - from what I'v seen so far anything with a nut,acorn or any type of fruit works fine. A peacan and oak mix is my fav so far, I'v heard alot of good things about apple and cherry but I'v not had a chance of any yet.

Anyone else tried anything new or found something that you do or do not like?

I tried some hardwood charcoal briquettes from South America and they burned clean and the taste was fine. I use pecan logs for flavor and mesquite lump charcoal for heat. Pecan is a milder flavor than hickory. I have two commercial cookers in the garage and a couple of trailer units. Almost all fruit and citrus wood is very good for cooking. Grape vines work well, also. Using charcoal eliminates the need to preburn and is much safer for the dry hills of CA.

My favorite for beef is white oak.

For fish or poultry: pear, apple, and cherry all seem to work great.

Ok - from what I'v seen so far anything with a nut,acorn or any type of fruit works fine. A peacan and oak mix is my fav so far, I'v heard alot of good things about apple and cherry but I'v not had a chance of any yet.

Anyone else tried anything new or found something that you do or do not like?

That's probably a good rule of thumb, however I would not smoke anything with walnut. Burned over a cord of black walnut last year and from what I can tell it would not be good for smoking or cooking.

I smoke all my chickens with cherry and/or apple and they turn out great. Rub them down first in salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika and a liitle bit of cayenne. Perfect.

When doing steaks or beef loin I use oak. I have heard that pecan is the "cadillac" of smoking woods, and of course in the south hickory is legendary. Never tried either of those. Here's one I don't think anyone mentioned....mulberry. I have a big ole mulberry I need to take down soon and I can't wait to try it for smoking. Will have to wait until next year though.

This thread is making me hungry... I'm going out to get my Hickory ready for my deer tenderloins I'm about to cook... :)

Back