cooking with wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mulberry works great for pork. I've done butts and loins using it. Why? Because it is in the woodshed.

I am by no means an expert really only smoked a few times but have turned out good with some guidance from a friend that does a quite a bit. I have heard that some of the mulberry that grows in some areas may not be as good, but the stuff that grows in the fence rows in Iowa is great.

Don.

Ok - from what I'v seen so far anything with a nut,acorn or any type of fruit works fine. A peacan and oak mix is my fav so far, I'v heard alot of good things about apple and cherry but I'v not had a chance of any yet.

Anyone else tried anything new or found something that you do or do not like?

Seems _really_ odd but out here (SE Wa) Willow is commonly used. I haven't tried any myself but I do have one guy who gets it from me just for smoking. He just asked for a bit more and ordered up another 1/3 of a cord. There is a german community and a gun club that do annual sausage feeds using it.

Worth a try.

Harry K

Willow? Hum... I typically use red alder here. Love the smell of that wood burning. I have some burning here in the house fireplace now. I put it in the OWB when it is warm and the boiler is at temp to make charcoal. I also like oak... we have black and white oaks. Oak heartwood is really good. Smells great when I cut into it with the chainsaws.

We used to use hickory,well burnt into charcoal to roast whole hogs.What you don't want to use is pizz elm.:hmm3grin2orange:

For the dutch oven cooking it doesn't matter what you use as long as the wood coals.

For smoking meats I like Alder for salmon, Pecan/Hickory/White Oak for beef and pork, and Mulberry for chicken.

Bump, I'm now an expert right men hahaha!

Hmm... old AS thread revival? I have been planking salmon here with cedar slabs in the BBQ lately. Soak them in water and put them on the BBQ with a hunk of salmon on it and cover. The result is toasty smokey mouth-watering salmon.

Apple is what I use most...But I would have to say grape vines give some of the best flavor out there...

Oh, heck yah. We call those GTG's. Beer and chainsaw worship services.

jesus_evil_dead.jpg

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I've got a cast iron dutch oven. On weekend mornings, I'll load it with a roast, potatoes and veggies: set it in the wood stove, load up the coals and have lunch at noon. You need to add plenty of water to keep it all moist. I wrap my venison roasts in foil to help lock in the moisture.

Back