Cooler weather ahead

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogger

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Well, ya, duh, it is going on into mid winter soon, but a week from now looks to be getting a wee bit nippy according to these guessers...

Brutal Cold Waves Could be Heading for the U.S.

Maybe well get some white dirt here!

I have 4/5ths of my main this winter stack left, went through the ugly pile already(freeking started burning off and on in september..eek!), and dipping into the oak and hickory some pieces a day, like right now in the evening. Mostly we are burning pretty varied and assorted small branches 1 to 3 inches diameter (tons of those) and like poplar splits and some pine, etc. the way I laid that stack out, I hit it good, just now starting to hit the mixed maple/oak/hickory/ash/beech/cherry, etc and sweetgum larger branch rounds with some good hardwood splits from another pure pile as well intermixed. Planned stacks, love it...I think I nailed it this year.

We have those mixed bag stacks and now extensive pure primo stacks.

We are going into a heat wave here in the Northeast! Temps are supposed to be near 40 tomorrow and pushing the 50's by Sunday. Seems kind of odd since just the other morning it was 11 below zero here at my house. I guess snowmobiling will have to wait.

I wonder what they mean by "brutal"?

teens? singles? negatives?

Teens are pretty normal other than last year which was warm.
Single digits I expect for a few weeks each winter.
Negatives,,, well that will just suck!

Serious warm up predicted here in Indiana. 56 Fri. 58 Sat.
With several inches of snow still on the ground in places, what a mess!

In two weeks. I say bring it!
Hmmmm, looks like 64 here today. 76 on Thursday. :msp_mellow: We just don't seem to get the freezing winters here much any more. :msp_confused:

Last edited:
Other than a bit on the mild side in early November temperatures have been pretty normal ‘round here this winter… especially December. For the most part we’ve seen highs in the teens and 20’s, lows running from a few degrees below zero to upper teens. Looking at a warm-up this week, mid to upper 30’s… but even that’s normal for early January, we call it the January thaw.

Mid January through early March is when winter usually shows up in earnest… with late January bringing in the coldest temps and February dumping the most snow. In my mind, “brutal cold” means daytime highs that stay below zero and I haven’t seen anything like that predicted yet… single digit daytime high temperatures is just what mid January into early February “is”, nothing more.

What is not “normal” is the lack of moisture… we’re still stuck in the drought pattern. We did get some moisture in December, but we’re heading into 2013 dryer than we started 2012… and that ain’t a good sign. If a cold wave will bring moisture on the back side… then bring it on… bring several of them on. There ain’t nothin’ worse than drought for a “farm area” economy… if the farmers are getting pinched, we’re all getting pinched. The “Great Depression” was immensely magnified by drought on the plains… why does it look like a repeat of history just around the bend? Global economy sinking, water getting shut off on the plains… not lookin’ so good to me.

So far the weather this year where I'm at hasn't had an awful lot of cold weather though we have had a night or two of about 16 degrees. That wind which usually accompanies those temperatures were wicked though. :msp_scared: Last night the temperature dropped to 21 degrees, but today is supposed to make it to the mid 50's. The ground is frozen solid which means the trees on a slope that I want to fell will have to wait. I tend to level out a small area around the trees so that I have decent footing so I can get to my escape route. With the ground hard as concrete, I may have to wait a day or so. That is unless I can break through the ground with a sledge!:msp_biggrin:

Starting the 18th, the forecast for what it's worth, the temperatures are supposed to do a digger. Back down to the teens at night and lucky if it hits 32 during the day. Before then though, highs in the low to mid 60's! :msp_w00t: As for the forecast, I won't believe it until it is much closer because they tend to be wrong more than their right in my neck of the woods.

Back