Copper beach tree not looking so good

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick in MA

Reaction score
I have a very large copper beech. I have been told that it is 100+ yrs old and measures 12' 6" circum. at base 1' above grade. my guess is approx 70' high.

last fall the tree shed its leaves in early august, about 45 days sooner than it usually does. This spring the tree has buds and some leaves (maybe 20%), but the leaves it has are small. The branches have buds, but they are not popping, usually by this time the foliage is so dense, you can stand under it for 20 minutes after it starts to rain and not get wet.

some facts and comments that may or may not appply;

the soil is pure sand. I know this from several soil test done in close prox. (adjoining house lots) to this tree, and the soil tests show pure sand down to 11' in all test holes and an excavated foundation hole 7' deep 90' away from it last fall)

to make room for a new driveway (approx 3 yrs ago) the tree was limbed up from approx 3' above grade to about 10'. this included some pretty bi limbs...the tree looked good for the next 2 seasons.

it is located on my property which dates back to the 1700's approx 50' from my basement. BUT, the rear acreage is in the process of being developed for new homes. I have never had water in my basement nor is there any evidence of past water. But, last year, we had an extremely wet spring, my basement flooded and I had to put in a sump pump. The basement dried out within a week of the rains subsiding and never saw water again including this spring. so i guess my Q would be, given that land developing can make changes to the water table and the sandy soil conditions, is it possible that the tree is struggling to get eneough water?

I have not seen any bugs on this tree nor its leaves ever. This past winter was fairly harsh. Assume that snowfall amount does not affect a tree like this, but maybe temps?

Thanks for reading and maybe responding....Rick

''to make room for a new driveway (approx 3 yrs ago)''.....This may be a clue.Driveway construction under or around the drip line area could be part of the problem.Compacted soils are a major problem.Tree roots need to( ''breathe'')Release carbon dioxide through the soil to the surface.If the roots are compacted the CD becomes toxic and will affect tree health.Perhaps summer irrigation might be a solution..If the tree is water stressed.Don't know the life span of that species.Possibly it's in age decline.Construction in your area seems to be far enough away as to not impact the drainage in your yard.These are just questions that come to mind.Pictures are a helpful tool,as they provide visual clues.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back