Cord Wood Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdotis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know the price of cord wood has a lot of variables. But for hard wood like oak what is the going rate that you get when you buy or sell a full cord of wood? I live in SE Minnesota.

Just for your information I am not looking to sell any wood. I just need a ball park on what the wood I cut is worth. This may be helpful in the future when it is time to invest in Equipment, like a new Saw. The budget department (My wife) is not always friendly to purchases that could be though of as toys. I have tried to point out the Heat $ that we are saving but it is still hard to get the purse strings open.

Thanks
Korey

Up here in north central Mn. we pay around 110-140$ for a full cord of oak.
Some guys are asking for more ,but I don't think they are selling much.

A cord of oak makes around 26 million btu's @ 20 % moisture compared to 30 million btus 200 gallons of #2 oil makes or 250-300 gallons of propane depending on the blend of propane...yes they blend propane so your btus will vary to some degree unlike fuel oil which will be more constant.

So take a per gallon price times 200 for oil or times 250 for propane....that is roughly what a cord of hardwood is worth in btus/heat.
Then figure out how much liquid fuel you'll burn in a season.Divide by 200 for oil or 250 for gas then times how much that gallon is selling for.
If your wood burner stays lit and heats your home 24/7 then you should be able to come up with a dollar figure that reflects what your labor will pay you instead of what you'll pay the liquid fuel company.

Good luck with the war ...I mean budget department.

Last edited:
Hi Kory,

Welcome to AS. You can look on Craigslist in your area to see what full face cords are selling for. For example here in metro Detroit mixed hardwoods (oak, ash, maple and hickory) is selling face cords delivered for $70.

I sell small lots (bundles) of firewood from time to time to make room for the next inbound load of rounds. I need an excuse to give the saws a workout.

Good luck with the budget committee -- I have been there / am there.

I I just need a ball park on what the wood I cut is worth. This may be helpful in the future when it is time to invest in Equipment, like a new Saw. The budget department (My wife) is not always friendly to purchases that could be though of as toys.

Well if that be the case, perhaps the most important variable is which saw you're looking at. If it's in the $500 range, I'd reckon that a cord of wood is worth about $500. ;)

Just remember, it's all about the variables. :)

Seriously though, the range around here is $175-$300/cord delivered and dumped.

Around here 8 foot log length is going for about $80 per cord delivered. That is with a 10 cord min.

Thanks for the info

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks for all the quick info. I was kind of looking at a 290 Sthil but have not made the decision yet. I really like my JohnDeer cs36le. It was made by efco and seems to be a very good saw. But it is a little on the small side. Besides how can you have just one saw? It just seems wrong to have only one. Again thanks for all the info you guys are great.

Korey

I also recently ran the new saw flag up the flagpole, and to my suprise, SWMBO saluted :biggrinbounce2: I'm going to pick up the new Husqvarna 460 on saturday :clap:

Lucky dog

What is the saying around here when you are jealous of someone.

"You Suck"

Seriously congrats on the new toy, oh I mean money saving investment.

Korey

The going price for mixed pinon pine and juniper is about $175 to $225 per cord. Some jokers are trying to sell mixed wood( cotton wood, ponderosa pine and russian elm) for $250'ish. LOL!!

With the level of unemployement in my area. I was guessing that firewood prices would have dropped lower then last year.

Near our summer place on Lake Erie, mixed hardwood, seasoned 6 months, $180/cord, delivery is extra, we were quoted $30 to deliver it less than 10 miles. I bought a bundle of slabs from an Amish crew for $15 instead, since it was just for the campfire.

$100 a pickup load

that is what I am taking as donations due to the fact I do not sell wood. I only haul wood to peoples houses that is seasoned and what they can use. I don't carry punky wood nor do I condone those that do. I started the donation process this year and have 3 regulars with the first deliveries..I have to cut a lot more next year. 12 loads in less than a month + the full time job. gonna be a lot more equipment in the ole garage next year. I hate toys.. I don't care how many I have ...I always need more. oh and the purse strings..I got rid of her about 10 years ago..no problem there..and the other part..the springer in my sig. he is just happy to ride along when I deliver..it's all good. Good luck!!!

2007 chevy

full size 8' bed
IMG_0260.jpg

well it makes me money

here is a little better pic
IMG_0266.jpg

and here is the last one I kick myself in the ars for everyday for letting go
truck006.jpg

oh yeah..6.0 diesel with banks, intercooler, dual exhaust, 4 inch lift, 35" cooper tires..damn I miss it
for some reason I like blue..does it show..lol

Latest posts

Back