Corvette Towing a Wood Splitter!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd460

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, was heading from Michigan down to Florida on saturday morning with the family. Was in about Findlay Ohio and and could not believe my eyes. In the right south bound lane of I-75 doing about 50 to 55 mph's was a 2008 (guessing a 2008) Chevy Corvette towing a log splitter!

By the time I dug out my phone to get a pic, we were way past him. Man I really wanted to get a pic, but busy traffic (looks like everyone is heading south for xmas), trying to get south, etc. Never seen that one before! Who knows, maybe the guy is a AS member (if he isn't, he should be!). Even my 13 year old daughter said "theres something you don't see every day".

Just one of those unusual things you see every now and then, thought I would pass it on. Merry xmas and have a safe holiday to everyone! KD

Oh Lord...............Say it isn't so.:dizzy:

idgokz.jpg

That's hilarious to visualize! Too bad no pic!

Not really quite the same thing, but, that reminds me of the time I was in West Virginia, passed a guy on the highway, he had a early/mid 90s Ford f-150, one of those "specials" ford made. 4x2, reg cab, 6 cyl, 5 spd, short bed, with a/c and a radio. Anyways, he had a full load of 14-16' lumber hangin out the back of this thing. There was more hanging off the back of the truck than was actually in the truck. The only way it stayed in was the shorter lumber and bags of Quickcrete he had sitting on the front of his load. This would have been a good load for a 1 ton, let alone a light 1/2, and his IFS was literally hanging from the front of the truck, he had about 1 sq. inch (if that) of the outside edges of the front tires touching the ground! Amazing....

could have been worse.....he could have been hauling a trailer full of wood.

could have been worse.....he could have been hauling a trailer full of wood.

Right.

With the internets, you can easily see crazy overloaded motor bikes, mini-buses, carts hauling everything from pigs to firewood to people. You look at those picks and maybe think, "what the hell is wrong with that guy? that's just insane!"

Then you see it in your own neighborhood. It's either necessity or stupidity, or a little of each. Sometimes there is a really bad outcome --- couple years back in my town, five members of a family died when their truck filled with firewood went off the road on a curve. Overloaded? Poor brakes? Too many people in the cab? Driver was local and the road was just wet. You would like to think that it couldn't happen to you, no way -- but probably everyone here has driven an overloaded truck more than a few times.

His wifey said he could have a vette if he found a way to cut heating costs.....hence the splitter!

Gotta agree... that's something you don't see every day. I suppose if one wanted to tow a splitter at 110 MPH, a 'vette would fit the bill. :D

Gotta agree... that's something you don't see every day. I suppose if one wanted to tow a splitter at 110 MPH, a 'vette would fit the bill. :D

You would have to consider the splitter. I will be infamous at my local rental center for rolling a wood splitter at 15 mph. :confused:

I was in a hurry, and didn't slow down enough while crossing a small bridge on a private road. The builder (erector?) had saved a few bucks by only laying down one 2 by 12 for your left tires, and one for the right pnes over the cross beams... splitter has a narrow wheel base...

And I end up dragging it on its side for 20 ft., tearing off the control levers. Hard part was picking it up so I could drive it back to the rental yard! I think I used the adrenaline from being a tad upset on righting it, and it didn't seem that heavy. :clap:

I don't think that a splitter would stay upright at 110 mph. Maybe we will read about it here?
I would need to see video; cop car cam footage OK.

This past summer I saw a Hummer pulling a fertilizer buggy down the road. As a farmer I was amazed as I was driving my best truck. 93 GMC 6.5 with 249,000 miles. Maybe i'm growing the wrong crops.

I couldn't help but do an image search to see if I could come up something... It turned up empty as far as a splitter was concerned. I did find this one though. Honestly, when I saw the thumbnail I really did think it was fire wood...

corvettesloppymcchesse.jpg

When I picked up my Homelite XP-1000 off Craigslist, it came out of the back of a Corvette, I'm guessing it didn't consider the trunk of the Impala an upgrade :D

More than once I've seen Corvettes, presumably on the way to a track day or autocross, towing a trailer with race wheels/tires, tools, coolers, etc. I could see a guy like that renting a splitter for an occasional need and his only vehicle with a trailer hitch being the Corvette. Before I got my pickup I moved a lot of machines towing a U-Haul trailer with a Taurus wagon.

I couldn't help but do an image search to see if I could come up something... It turned up empty as far as a splitter was concerned. I did find this one though. Honestly, when I saw the thumbnail I really did think it was fire wood...

corvettesloppymcchesse.jpg

I'm thinking that is photo shopped. No real vett owner would do that.

Latest posts

Back