Cost is no option best string trimmer...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rental company I am a mechanic for has 6 Husky 326lx powerheads using string trimmers, hedge trimmers, chainsaw attatchments, power brooms, and the occasional light brush/high weed trimming blades. These things get beat too! They have all been great when tuned properly and with good gas! :clap: I definitely recommend you step up to a higher grade trimmer. But as always, if unsure of tuning, have a good reputable dealer set it up for you! For any serious brush cutting/thinning or thick/high weeds step up to a 35cc bike handle machine, well worth it IMHO.

The rental company I am a mechanic for has 6 Husky 326lx powerheads using string trimmers, hedge trimmers, chainsaw attatchments, power brooms, and the occasional light brush/high weed trimming blades. These things get beat too! They have all been great when tuned properly and with good gas! :clap: I definitely recommend you step up to a higher grade trimmer. But as always, if unsure of tuning, have a good reputable dealer set it up for you! For any serious brush cutting/thinning or thick/high weeds step up to a 35cc bike handle machine, well worth it IMHO.

I'm willing to step up to the highest grade there is. I just don't want to lug around something that's overkill for what I need. With a bad back the weight and lack of vibrations is much more important to me.

So, I have to go with the Stihl FS130 if you want bike handles. Reason is I'm scheduled to pick mine up around lunch tomorrow. So, I hope I made the right choice... I'm pretty sure as I've had an FS110R for the past 4 years or so. It has been a great trimmer, and still works great, but I was looking for a bike handle trimmer to do some hard work at my house and on a piece of property I have at the lake that would include some light to moderate brushwork down by the water. For the price I'll have to live with it as I wasn't really willing to pay much more than I'm going to tomorrow. I would use the FS110R except I wanted to outfit it with a blade (which I have done on occasion with great results) but everyone says for brushwork to really use the bike handles. I'll dedicate the FS110R to only trimming now if all goes well. I'm sure it will be more easy on the back than working with my current FS110R for the work I plan to do. Probably hours vs. a few minutes.

Anyway, I guess my response is more I've always owned Stihl trimmers and have had little to no issues with them. I've had an FS36 forever and a day, still runs well thanks to Fish... But it sits now because I have the FS110R and it has been 100% since day 1. Hoping to have the same luck with my FS130 in the coming years. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Last edited:
We use a lot of trimmers at work clearing right of ways and well locations. The ones that hold up are shindawai,husky and echo.

I would rather lug around the 'heaviest' trimmer using a harness, than the lightest one without a harness. I have spent a lot of time with several trimmers on a huge array of vegetation from grass to small trees for forestry. I never once said, "I wish I had a smaller trimmer". Again, with a harness, or even just a decent belt(I use a heavy duty dog lead so I can swivel the trimmer easily from side to side without using my hips only), you can use any size trimmer with ease all day long. I currently use a 235R(40cc) with a muffler mod and occasionally wish I had more trimmer.

Worth it for the music alone: Forestry in Sweden 4 - YouTube

I also hear the Kawasakis are very storng: Lawnflite | Everything you need for a perfect garden > Home > Brush & Hedge Cutters > Brushcutters > Lawnflite 45.5cc Kawasaki Professional Brushcutter

I would rather lug around the 'heaviest' trimmer using a harness, than the lightest one without a harness. I have spent a lot of time with several trimmers on a huge array of vegetation from grass to small trees for forestry. I never once said, "I wish I had a smaller trimmer". Again, with a harness, or even just a decent belt(I use a heavy duty dog lead so I can swivel the trimmer easily from side to side without using my hips only), you can use any size trimmer with ease all day long. I currently use a 235R(40cc) with a muffler mod and occasionally wish I had more trimmer.

Worth it for the music alone: Forestry in Sweden 4 - YouTube

I also hear the Kawasakis are very storng: Lawnflite | Everything you need for a perfect garden > Home > Brush & Hedge Cutters > Brushcutters > Lawnflite 45.5cc Kawasaki Professional Brushcutter

Cool video but I wouldn't be doing that. Would only need to run the blade for the big fleshy green weeds that grow on a riverbank.

For light use around the house an electric Stihl works well. The electric units go for $40-75 on CL.

Get the best harness for the handle bar units. The harness makes a big difference in vibration and back strain.

I use a 4 stroke 32cc Honda for grass/light brush to 1". FS250 for up to 1 1/2" to 2" grass/brush/saplings. A FS 550 for 1 1/2"-3" and above. I have handle bars on all of my trimmers, and use the same Stihl harness. I only use metal blades.
Since you have a smaller unit the FS250 would be my choice.

My back is a peice of **** , and I can't use the bike handled trimmers . Becase of holding that arm position , the weight of my arms , plus the machine , is slightly fwd of my body . It strains my lower back , regardless of whether or not I use a shoulder strap .
As a rule , the Japanese engine trimmers are the highest quality powerhead .

I will use it to trim around the house once a week for the majority of the time it's used. I can get by with something pretty small for this task I know.

I want light weight but that is usually low power as well. I know there is a "sweet spot" for power to weight. I want a good power to weight ratio.

I don't care if it's 2 stroke or 4, but i would have to think that a 2 stroke would be lighter for the same amount of hp/torque.

I will want to run a metal blade occasionally to help people out and this is my real reason for buying one right now. My dad is clearing some nasty weeds from the side of a river bed for a friend and having another trimmer so i could jump in and help would be priceless.

I have a good shindaiwa, stihl, echo, and husqvarna dealers around me. Not sure about redmax but that doesn't really bother me. I don' t rely on it to make money and will have the muffler modded Murray to back it up.

My dad has a Shindaiwa and I hate that you can't adjust the carb on it.

I wouldn't mind a used trimmer at all.

I don't have a pole saw so having the option to mount that would be a bonus.

How about this, what's the lightest trimmer that can still run a metal blade?

Well in that case, I have to say a combi system is the thing to go with (whatever brand you prefer). My power head is the Stihl KM55. When I bought the straight shaft brush cutter I also added a supercut head and the smaller deflector. Later added the pole saw and extension, and later yet the edger and then this Spring got the tine tiller for my wife's gardens. Initially I was worried that the 55 wouldn't have enough power but figured I could always add a bigger unit if I needed it. So far it's been fine for everything. I trim around the yard and in the gully every week burning a full tank of fuel and sometimes even run out before I get finished. So it gets a workout, but it's light enough that I don't feel it to be a burden. I was especially concerned about the pole saw but again it's been fine.

I have a Stihl fs250- it is overkill for lawn trimming. Also have a old John Deere 260G which was the same as the Echo SRM 2300- had it for 15 years and have never replaced the spark plug.

Ive been researching trimmers lately- looked at Stihl, Redmax, Shindaiwa, Kawasaki, Tanaka, Husq, Echo, and Robin. Just type in 'Best commercial weedeater" on Google and read away. It seems to me to be a "regional bias" depending on what a guy has for Dealers in their area. I second the vote for the Husq 323/326- they are fantastic trimmers. Great power/ and about the lightest you can get in a "solid" straight shaft. MY BIL has a lawn service and that is what they run. At 9lbs- you can swing one all day.

I cant recommend the Honda 4 stroke stuff enough.

The end of the day on one of those I feel better than any other trimmer, I have a much lighter Husky and have had the big Stihl.
The Hondas are beautifully balanced and they have enough torque that you dont run them flat out all the time and they are much more pleasant on the ears. The low levels of vibration because you are using them at lower revs might help too. Whatever the reason, no-one I know ever wants to use anything else once they've tried the Hondas.

The 25cc models are probably the sweet spot, the 35cc model does seem to be a little heavier for very little gain (not often you need the extra power).

Cannot recommend enough. Makes every other trimmer look like hard work.

Light and powerful are not synergistic!

Sorry for being dense, but what does this mean? Thanks.

PS. I have been very happy with my Echo SRM 230. Had it for a few years now - easy start, runs good. The shaft is a little whippy compared to my old Toro, but I am getting used to that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back