Cost is no option best string trimmer...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used an FS80 Stihl for a number of years and really have been pleased with it. I have run a blade on occasion with good success. I also have a bike handled FS110 that I use primarily with a blade. If you could find a used FS80 or FS85 I think you would like it a lot for your purposes.

Around here (middle Georgia) nearly all the landscapers/lawn services use either Stihl or Echo trimmers. Not saying they're the best, just what I see on the trailers and trucks.

Sorry for posting in the chainsaw forum, but you guys obviously would know more about this question.

Wow, I'm pretty new here, and I got things all mixed up in my understanding of the moderators here on AS. I thought AS was a tough site to just come in and do things with disregard for the "rules". I mean there are listed punishments for wavering off the beam. Then along comes a string trimmer thread started in known muddy water, and not only does it float, it gets 2463 responses. Now this truly is a rebellious group.:msp_w00t:

It depends on your personality and how you approach the topic.

the 044 and a 32 inch bar trims good for me ,lighter stuff i grab the fs80 handlebar model :msp_wink:

FS80 and carbide

My FS80 Stihl has been a great machine. I bought it in July of 2004 for $270. I recently found it works much better with the .105 RedMax string, than it did with the .90 Stihl string.

For brush, I use an 8-inch 40-tooth carbide circular saw blade, which I needed to make an adapter for the arbor size. It breezes through multiflora rose and will cut brush and trees up to a couple inches or more. Blades last a long time. The teeth eventually dull and brake from rocks and barb wire, etc. Once it spools up the blade zings right through the brush. Let me say, though, this thing is very dangerous! (Kids, don't try this at home!) I just found the blades they sell at the dealers get ruined very fast, and cost a lot.

The FS80 has a lot vibration, and will numb your hands. A tank of gas lasts about an hour.

Last edited:
FS130r

Took my FS130r out to clear a shooting lane today. The guy with me said it was like trimming with a small block Chevy. I did not disagree.

Shindaiwa/Echo

I've been running a Shindaiwa B45 since 1986. About 42cc. I haven't used a blade on it for years. Use a large Green Machine bumpfeed head with .105" line. This beast won't quit. I love it. Shindaiwa doesn't sell large 40cc machines anymore but Echo does. A local turf supply co had a new B45 for sale a few years back and I may go looking for it, love to have another. I currently have a couple of Echo SRM225s an SRM230 and a PAS265 that I have been taking my time heat cycleling. Next time I warm it up I will do some light cutting with it. Got it to use with a 3ft extension and a pole pruner but also has a weed trimmer attachment. When the cutting gets tough I can always count on my old 42cc Shindaiwa B45 2cycle with an adjustable carb. Mostly go with the SRM225 but if the weeds and brush get to tough I can just move up to a larger trimmer.

I've had a lot of string trimmers over the years but by far my favorite is my old Echo SRM-2100 and it is just right for my yard and needs.

My next most favored is the Echo SRM-2400. The 2400 has more torque than the 2100 but I enjoy the 2100 more. The new Echos just has 3 digits to their number but they are pretty much the same as the older four digit models.

Then I have a Stihl FS-55 that I wish was a 55R without the bike handle.

Then I have a Stihl FS-45 that is too small for me.

I had a Homelite 25cc Bandit that I really enjoyed but my son took it to his house. The power head is over 20 years old but the tube and cutter head are only 3 yrs old. Very simple and light weight but powerful enough.

I have a barn full of Mac 32's and a couple of Ryobi's that don't deserve mention.

The Weed Eater ones were probably the worst I ever had.

Hey folks, it's been a long time since I've posted. This weekend, I ordered a Jonsered 2245 weed wacker/brush cutter. (I'm a pretty big Jonsered fan. Have a 2171 chainsaw with a Cannon bar that I REALLY like.) I live in the woods, and needed a way to knock down the wild rose bushes, tree sprouts, and scrub. The little 28cc wackers don't have the torque....ask me how I know.
Will give you all a full report after a "fair trial." Hope you all are doing well.

I have the first 4 mix FS90 it has 3 million hours on it, I have replaced fuel line prime bulb, and grease in the head that's it. A super weed eater, super tuff lots of power. Just like all stihl stuff quality.

I ended up finding a craftsman professional, made by husky on sale a couple years ago and have nothing but good things to say about it, it's only 28cc, very light and well balanced.

Tanaka

I know of two local landscapers that use them, One is at my neighbours place weekly

http://www.amazon.com/Tanaka-TBC-260PFL-Extended-Trimmer-Cutter/dp/B0037AA7E4

I've been really impressed with their little 25 cc engine on a polesaw- rated 1.3 hp and that seems honest. Very civiliized and clean-burning. Who cares if it has a cat?
If my '70s 22 cc Echo straight-shaft trimmer ever dies (doesn't seem likely) its replacement will be a 25 cc Tanaka. I like it that much.
Other candidates include Echo & Husqy. Can't claim stihl as a charitable deduction.

The husky 326 is a very light, balanced trimmer. If you gut the catted muffler it wakes up quite a bit. Me being me, I'm prolly gonna take it apart and port it a little.

I've been in the landscaping/tree trimming gig for 14 yrs now. Have used Husky, Stihl, and Echo. Hands down my guys want Echos. The dealer i buy my Echos from is also a Stihl dealer, he claims Echo SRMS are the best trimmers on the market, bar none. Of course my Husky dealer who i buy most of my saws from, claims Husky has the best. (go figure)
Echo trimmers, Echo blowers, Husqvarna saws, Stihl climbing saws, and Toro Zero Turn mowers, usually keeps my crews from grumbling. I always try to get em the equipment they want to use.

If you can get by with a smaller trimmer, by all means go for it. I picked up an fs130r last year. I love the power for thick stuff but find myself using a fs80r far more. Not only is it lighter, but the stuff it slings back at my face doesn't hurt as bad!!

Back