Cost is no option best string trimmer...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 85 is a great trimmer. It is plenty strong for any yard work and will pull a blade if needed. The motor is the same one used in lots of the Stihl hand-held equipment so parts are plentiful in the unlikely event you should need something. It is light, starts great, and is dead-nuts reliable.
I bought a FS85 12 years ago for clearing and maintaining our cabin property. It has cut through at least 2 miles of Tag Alder and small Poplar trees building a trail. Anything under 3" diameter is fair game with the saw blade. Bike bars are a must and a full harness would be nice. BIL has one with a loop and is not nearly as nice to use. I've worn through 1 saw blade and going for more. Honestly, I have abused this tool at times and it comes back for more. Maintenance done? Throttle cable stretched and needed adjustment. That's it. I might change the lube in the drive head this Spring. It's one tough reliable machine for sure. A used one is still better than many of the new models out there IMHO.

I have a KM 130 and the 4 mix engine not only has the best throttle response (2 stroke trait) but also has tons of torque(4 stroke trait)

Best of both worlds IMO.

I have had great luck with the Shidiawa trimmers. You can put a heavy grass/light brush blade on them also. They have been very reliable.

I wanted the biggest, baddest string trimmer.

Saw a guy who worked for the government mowing a post office lawn, and he was using a very nice Echo.

He told me it was a very powerful machine, but it was heavy and unless you needed the power it would wear you out.

I bought a Dolmar MS-22C (pre EPA nonsense) and am very happy.

Works great for string trimming around the house, and I can put a blade on it for tough thick brush stuff like multiflora, though it won't cut through saplings and suckers.

We also have a Dolmar MS-22C, no longer available due to emissins but it's about the lightest light commercial trimmer that was available. Guy we got it from says he'll buy every used one he can find. Only drawback is the big huge guard, he sold me a RedMax guard that will fit with a slight mod. Before it we had an early Shindaiwa T-27, it was a screamer but too heavy for us,

I'm not sure if it is still available but the Stihl FS100RX is a very nice lightweight dedicated line trimmer. if you dont plan on using a blade it's the cats weow.

-AJ

I agree with AJ the 100RX is the best STRING only trimmer on the market. My brother bought 1 and went back the next day to buy a 2nd because they are that awesome. Pricey at like $350 but worth it.

I have a fs75 with a steel shaft and a robin nb2450 a fs250 and a Kawasaki kgt27c and out of them I think I like the robin the most ( more than likely because I have had it longer) but the Kawasaki is pretty light but it is new and has some vibration in the head, so I am going to swap heads and see if it helps or it might be the trimmer string.. The fs250 I bought cause I wanted one before there gone for good

I have an fs250 for big jobs.great trimmer but heavy.for the lighter stuff a tanaka tbc34.when it was new my uncle decided he didnt want it after he killed the carb with ethanol gas.I was stuck with the payments.rebuilt the carb and have had no problems since.never had to adjust the carb.no adjustments on it at all.:confused:

The Echo SRM-280S i happen to run one and it has plenty of power for the tall sage brush and johnson grass in the fence rows at my house. MSRP 399.99SRM-280scallouts.jpg

I have a Echo SRM 2100 and a SRM 2400 that I really like.
I also have two Stihl FS55R's that I like just as well.
These are home owner straight shaft trimmers and that is the way they are used.
I've had to put fuel primer bulbs on all of them as the only maintenance ever done.

A curved shaft kills my back straight shaft is the way to go especially if you got shrubs,bushes and the aftermarket speed feed head is awesome put a few of them on my friends fs 70 and fs 90 trimmers and they are 3x better than the oem trimmer heads.

I don't know but I was wondering about good brush blades for my line trimmers. I can choose between a FS70, FS74, fs75, and a fs90 to put it on but all have basically the same blade guard on. The 200mm, 225, or 250 with a bunch of teeth or will a non stihl carbide less expensive blade cut heavy brush all the same. Don't know if it matters but swapping shaft + gearhead on my stihls with stock FS130 and FS131 is a option. My old McCulloch B.C. 327 would also be cool to put one on but the blade kit might be not available anymore older Stihl FS36 and FS40 curved I have too. Durability is very important as well as cost. Not running a real business but I do use my stuff a bit more then most. My McCulloch also takes multiple restarts to get working and want that dealt with but aint 100% on where to begin.

Don't use a blade that isn't specifically for brush cutting...table saw blades aren't designed for that!

My answer would have been an FS94R if this thread wasn't 3 1/2 years old. Plenty of power in a lightweight package. I also really like the Shindaiwa trimmers.

I'll play with the thread resurrection game, I have a 16 year old FS85 that I've run the heck out of with a heavy brush blade, I'm certain that I'm abusing it but it still keeps running. I wish that they still made them.

Just in case no one has said it yet.

STIHL FS-250R. :rock:

F250D014_p1-500x500.jpg

I'll play with the thread resurrection game, I have a 16 year old FS85 that I've run the heck out of with a heavy brush blade, I'm certain that I'm abusing it but it still keeps running. I wish that they still made them.
I got about 5 I think FS75-80s two with FS130 shafts and gearheads. one FS90r parts. Got bikehandle parts but need throttle cables for two.

Latest posts

Back