Cottonwood for fence rails?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
85 Bears

85 Bears

ArboristSite Lurker
Would I be wasting fuel milling cottonwood for the rails of a fence?
We have a 1/2 acre pond that has about a dozen large and straight trees around its banks.
I believe these trees are causing the water level in the pond to drop. I want to take them down regardless.
I would like to make a split rail fence to keep the horses in.
Thanks for any advice.
Rich

Dave Boyt

Dave Boyt

ArboristSite Guru
Cottonwood

Your cottonwood will turn into rotten wood in a few years. It just doesn't stand up being in the elements. It is a very fiberous wood, and not easy to cut. It is used some for pallets. Chain saw carvers like to work with it. Not the best firewood, but I wouldn't turn down a load.

MHouse1028

MHouse1028

ArboristSite Operative
i say try it maybe just give a good soak with a wood preserver chances are it will see enough sun to keep it dry so it might last a while..i believe in use what you have at hand...good luck and enjoy

chaikwa

chaikwa

ArboristSite Operative
i say try it maybe just give a good soak with a wood preserver chances are it will see enough sun to keep it dry so it might last a while..i believe in use what you have at hand...good luck and enjoy
I tried that with some cottonwood I have here. My advice is don't waste your time. A good fog will rot that stuff. It's ok for interior framing materials, 2X4's, 2X6's and the like, but I think that's about it besides pallets. It really likes to warp as you're sawing it too. :mad2:

Herb Brooks

Herb Brooks

My advice would be.....

Would I be wasting fuel milling cottonwood for the rails of a fence?
We have a 1/2 acre pond that has about a dozen large and straight trees around its banks.
I believe these trees are causing the water level in the pond to drop. I want to take them down regardless.
I would like to make a split rail fence to keep the horses in.
Thanks for any advice.
Rich
Put up a Barb wire fence to keep the horses OUT.
we got some of theat pasture art too. Big ole pain in the backside IMHO.

Latest posts