Cracked bucket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garfield

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an Altec LRIV with a bucket that is cracked at the corners on the top. It has a liner in it but it is an odd sensation when you get in it it sort of flexes...not down but forward and backwards if it is in the cradle. Anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks

Are we talking fiberglass?.. Can you have a new one fab'd out of alum. or steel tubing? I know the alum. and steel option is more conductive than fiberglass, but if you aren't near lines anyway?

Most Genie (and other brand) man buckets are steel... Just a thought and my 2¢.

EDIT: Okay, I just Googled your rig, and it is fiberglass. Not sure about your area, but we have a couple companies here that specialize in fiberglass repairs like the ones you have... That may be an option?

Last edited:
I do hope you wear a harness? Those buckets are made out of layer after layer of fiberglass mesh & epoxy resin. If you know someone at your local power co. garage they could probably steer you to a place qualified to fix one. We lost a few over the years to low branches after storms.

There is NO FIX for a cracked bucket short of sending your cracked bucket in and then receiving a remanufactured bucket. Fixing it yourself could and most likely will change the dialectic properties of the bucket.

Thoughts

Would it work to take some 1/2 by 4 strap and weld a square to stiffen the bucket. This would be between the bucket liner and the bucket itself on the inside. Would the liner protect me in the event of contacting a high voltage line?

I would go to an automotive supply place and pick up some fiberglass cloth and resin. Sand the area off good to make the stuff stick to the old stuff. Make a wide, thick patch. inside and out. Read and follow directions.

The stuff from the auto store is polyester. Break off a little piece of the bucket and burn it. If it smells like a dieing electric motor, it is epoxy, and it won't work. If it smells like a burning Styrofoam cup, you are good to go. I am not sure where you would find epoxy resin, maybe a boat store.

Last edited:
Labman Thanks

I will try it. I know that others are probably correct about changing the dielectric properties. However, If I am going to work on it myself this has to be better than my other options.

I will try it. I know that others are probably correct about changing the dielectric properties. However, If I am going to work on it myself this has to be better than my other options.

Are you that worried about conductivity? If you're that close to power lines with your boom, your probably too close anyway. Good luck with the fix, I think you can get'r done.

conductivity

You are probably right. I don't intend to get near them but If i decide to or when i sel the truck someday it'd be nice to keep it right.........I didn't price another bucket but i am assuming 8-1500 on that.

You are probably right. I don't intend to get near them but If i decide to or when i sel the truck someday it'd be nice to keep it right.........I didn't price another bucket but i am assuming 8-1500 on that.

You're probably right about the cost... My brother's a lineman, and all there stuff costs an arm and a leg... Doesn't really matter what. LOL

If you're worried about resale, take off the broken bucket, and make yourself a nice aluminum replacement. You could get one hell of a custom aluminum bucket for a grand! You can go a little wider (I've used a boom truck, and those buckets have no room as you know), and add any little extras to it you want... Saw Scabbards, slide rings to clip in, tool holders, pole holder, etc.

That's what I'd do anyway, and if you ever sell, they'll be getting a custom and original bucket with the sale.

Aluminum is dang light too... And shiny! LOL

Here's a set of stairs for a racetrack.

Racetrackrailrampandstairs20088.jpg

How do I get the book? I am missing something here?

Click the links, it is an FAA publication, free on-line.

Fiberglass if repaired right can be brought back to 100% of it's original strength.

There is more to repairing FG then what is in the FAA's book, but trust me here, if they can approve it in aircraft, you can make the bucket safe again.

Understand that it might be a little tricky for your first attempt, get with someone that has done a lot of this, but it is an option.

Link:

Think about it. Would you trust a repaired fiber glass boom?

Just my opinion, we tried repairing a bucket once and it didn't last.

Think about it. Would you trust a repaired fiber glass boom?

Just my opinion, we tried repairing a bucket once and it didn't last.

In a word, yes.

With my life.

Hope it doesn't sound like I it is something for someones first attempt, but done right, by the right people, it can be stronger then original designed and built. Getting rid of why it cracked in the first place.

In a day when so many jobs have been replaced by illegals, it's about time we remembered that there are some with real usable skills still around.

Out of the A/C mechanics I worked with over the years, very few of them could 'not' do a 'safe' fiberglass repair, my own repair included, not a one of them would I have a doubt the repair safe after opp's checking.

Back