Cracked bucket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the damage is not too severe it is very common to make repairs to fiberglass components. Minor repairs can be completed and be strong enough to last the life of the unit...as long as the repair is done properly. If you fix it yourself or have an auto body/boat guy fix it is not the way to go. They don't have insurance or experience to repair aerial lift components. These repairs are crucial to the safety and structure of the aerial device.

Fabricating any kind of metal structure for use on an aerial device as a basket is also a big no no. You cannot alter the manufacturers design in any way without prior consent from them. Make sure to run any kind of design through them first or you are taking on any and all liability.

Get the fiberglass basket repaired or replaced ASAP. What is worth more, scabbing you basket together for cheap or you life?

Where do you get you aerial device serviced? You do have yearly inspections done? Right? Maybe they can help you. PCC and CPI also offer repair services.

Two dealers/service centers to give a call to:

Altec Industries
2106 S Riverside Rd
St Joseph, MO 64507
(816) 364-2244

Aspen equipment
Bloomington, MN • (800)888-7671
Omaha, NE • (402)894-9300
Ankeny, IA • (800)888-9545
Duluth, MN • (800)888-2773

Often, these dealers/service centers will salvage parts from damaged booms including buckets. Sometimes, they have dozens on hand. You might be able to pick up a like-new bucket for a few hundred bucks.

If not, I've done the fiberglass repair thing before when I've cracked corneres of a bucket after banging into a tree branch. Very very easy to do and cost is mininal - just take your time and do it well. That said, i'd first check on the salvaged bucket...

Great information

Wow! just a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks for all the replies. I'll call first thing then check on the repairs. I would rather pay a few hundred than spend 2 days ordering stuff and figuring out how to do this. But I am willing if that's what it takes. Thanks

As long as the damage is not too severe it is very common to make repairs to fiberglass components. Minor repairs can be completed and be strong enough to last the life of the unit...as long as the repair is done properly. If you fix it yourself or have an auto body/boat guy fix it is not the way to go. They don't have insurance or experience to repair aerial lift components. These repairs are crucial to the safety and structure of the aerial device.

Fabricating any kind of metal structure for use on an aerial device as a basket is also a big no no. You cannot alter the manufacturers design in any way without prior consent from them. Make sure to run any kind of design through them first or you are taking on any and all liability.

Get the fiberglass basket repaired or replaced ASAP. What is worth more, scabbing you basket together for cheap or you life?

Where do you get you aerial device serviced? You do have yearly inspections done? Right? Maybe they can help you. PCC and CPI also offer repair services.

LOL WUT?? You can alter any equipment you own, any time you want?.. At least in this state. Custom made crane booms, baskets, whatever else. No contact with anyone necessary. Of course if it fails, it becomes your liability, and none of the OE companies.

No contact with anyone needed... You own it--if I wanted to turn a boom truck into a mud-bogger--no one can say boo-hoo.

LOL WUT?? You can alter any equipment you own, any time you want?.. At least in this state. Custom made crane booms, baskets, whatever else. No contact with anyone necessary. Of course if it fails, it becomes your liability, and none of the OE companies.

No contact with anyone needed... You own it--if I wanted to turn a boom truck into a mud-bogger--no one can say boo-hoo.

I don't know what "WUT" means, but oh well.

You can alter anything you want any time you want, it's just not always legit. As I said in my previous post "Make sure to run any kind of design through them first or you are taking on any and all liability." In any aerial device manual it will clearly state that you must contact the manufacturer prior to modifying the device. As long as they say ok you're good. I was just making the point that one shouldn't assume that they can do what ever they want and expect no consequences should something happen.

You could also run into future liability problems as this lift is designed and tagged to be an insulated aerial device. Adding a steel structure for a basket will make the device non-insulated. If the manufacturer knows of it they would probably send a new ID placard stating that the unit is non-insulated...no problems. Any new owner would be able to see this right on the ID tag.

I think you misunderstood my post. I have seen your fab thread and think you do excellent work. You, knowing what you know see no problem in fabbing a metal basket, and in my opinion of you it would be safe and well built. Someone else, not even the one who started this thread but anyone who has internet access, may not know as much as you and create something that the lift is not able to handle, therefore creating an unsafe situation. My post was intended to show the safe route.

You also wouldn't have to modify it to a mud-bogger. You can just buy them that way:givebeer:

attachment.php

http://www.alliance-equipment.com/

Garfield, this company may be able to help you out. You may have to cut and paste it into your browser.

Last edited:
I don't know what "WUT" means, but oh well.

You can alter anything you want any time you want, it's just not always legit. As I said in my previous post "Make sure to run any kind of design through them first or you are taking on any and all liability." In any aerial device manual it will clearly state that you must contact the manufacturer prior to modifying the device. As long as they say ok you're good. I was just making the point that one shouldn't assume that they can do what ever they want and expect no consequences should something happen.

You could also run into future liability problems as this lift is designed and tagged to be an insulated aerial device. Adding a steel structure for a basket will make the device non-insulated. If the manufacturer knows of it they would probably send a new ID placard stating that the unit is non-insulated...no problems. Any new owner would be able to see this right on the ID tag.

I think you misunderstood my post. I have seen your fab thread and think you do excellent work. You, knowing what you know see no problem in fabbing a metal basket, and in my opinion of you it would be safe and well built. Someone else, not even the one who started this thread but anyone who has internet access, may not know as much as you and create something that the lift is not able to handle, therefore creating an unsafe situation. My post was intended to show the safe route.

It's cool... I wasn't trying to be argumentative. It all comes down to personal responsibility. If you do something (or make something), and it kills you, or jacks you up... It's your deal.

People are too dang sue happy, and unwilling to take responsibility for themselves.

Back