Cracks in fuel line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Cracks that are in a fuel line that do not go all the way through, do they still have an effect on the saws performance? Got my hands on an MS290 and it doesn't want to hold tune. Fairly new saw, carb was a little dirty, replaced fuel filter, plug, etc. Tried to dial it in, it would cut okay for a few cuts, then idle fast, idle slow, bog in the cut (not in that order, very random). Pulled the carb again and double checked it for more dirt. Pulled the fuel line this time and found cracks in it near where it enters the tank. Plugging one end and creating a vacuum, it shows no signs of leaking. Just curious if even though the cracks are deep but don't leak, will it still affect performance.

I am enroute for a new fuel line, but I was just curious.

Did you pull the needle/lever/spring and verify that passage was clear?

If not, do so, look through it first, then blow it out, then look again.

Did you pull the needle/lever/spring and verify that passage was clear?

If not, do so, look through it first, then blow it out, then look again.

I tore the whole thing apart and started from scatch. Bought the $8 hose shortly after posting this and we are back in business. I just find it fascinating that a few cracks that don't seem to even leak can be responsible for the way the saw runs, or not.

If you'd put pressure in it, you'd soon see the leaks.

When the pump sucks, it draws air in as it's easier then lifting fuel.

If you'd put pressure in it, you'd soon see the leaks.

When the pump sucks, it draws air in as it's easier then lifting fuel.

That sounds like some "kiwi" philosphy.....

Around here, getting the pump to suck is the big thing..............

Or cook..... Clean........ Pick up the mail..........Feed the chickens......

Latest posts

Back