Craftsman 3.7 Flywheel/Pawl Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another approach you might try is to grind the head off the pin so that you can replace the pawl and spring without removing the pin. If the pin is mild steel you can then drill and tap a hole and replace the ground off shoulder with a washer and screw. If you have ever tried to take apart a crankshaft that is all pressed together, you will understand they are REALLY tight and not surprising that you are having trouble getting that pin out.

Step 1 is cut a groove to check if threaded, it may have been screwed in until bottomed out then machined off but it may also have been pressed in until it bottomed against a shoulder then machined off. Step 2 Grind off the head and remove the old spring/arm then drill out the old pin from the back side of the flywheel so it is centered. Then drill a second time and follow up with tapping to use a bolt with shoulder that matches the replacement pawl. If you try to drive the old pin out you'll likely damage the fan fins if not using a type of pin press. If the pin is hardened you may need to try and heat it and allow to cool slowly to remove the temper for easier drilling.

They're available, around $15 delivered.
IMHO:

You might look on flea bay before you do any more serious pounding. (so as you know if you see a replacement or try leons. Use your saw model number on flea bay.

I see several different types/styles for 3.7's on flea bay

I think you can find a flywheel reasonable.

If it does not move cold, try using a propane torch and warm the aluminum around the pin from the back side. Aluminum expands faster than steel so be ready to try it as soon as the aluminum gets warm. I'ts at max heat when you spit on it and it spits back. but do not go to the spit back stage.
If it's close to the magnet, don't heat except as a last attempt. I would not be concerned about the spring, those can be made.
Keep a heads up and closely inspect the flywheel for a crack when though hammering.

Success! I rested my drill press vise (a large one that I have used for 25 years) on a concrete floor, jaws slightly apart with clearance to protect the good pawl. Then I used a 3-lb sledge with an 5/32" pin punch. Two strikes later it started coming out. I then used my ball peen hammer to finish it off. The pin is still in good shape, so I'm all set to install the new pawl. I have done this before, so that should be no problem.

I must admit I have never encountered a flywheel with pawl pins this tight. Amazing what you run into when working with vintage equipment. My thanks to all.
:cheers:

Success! I rested my drill press vise (a large one that I have used for 25 years) on a concrete floor, jaws slightly apart with clearance to protect the good pawl. Then I used a 3-lb sledge with an 5/32" pin punch. Two strikes later it started coming out. I then used my ball peen hammer to finish it off. The pin is still in good shape, so I'm all set to install the new pawl. I have done this before, so that should be no problem.

I must admit I have never encountered a flywheel with pawl pins this tight. Amazing what you run into when working with vintage equipment. My thanks to all.
Check the magnets before Installing.

Check the magnets before Installing.
Did that. Good Spark. Saw starts and runs well.
Wood benches have too much bounce, you need a heavy solid surface.
Yeah, in this case a concrete bench top. I tried removing the pins on another flywheel in the boneyard. They came right out. Regardless. I think my bench would have worked had I initially parked the flywheel on my rugged cast steel drill press vise. That seemed to make a huge difference. Immediate impact was what I needed -- brick on brick.

Why is the solution suggested so many times here, to keep working on the POS flywheel? Throw it in the re-cycle bin, buy another, and get the saw back together. Its clearly an important part of your woodsmithing. If this is a bored persons quizzical experiment, sending him down a rabbit hole of wasted time, to get a saw valued at the price of a small pizza and a 12 pack....thats just cruel. Working on junk for the sake of trying is commendable, but the machine has to deserve the effort....thats a Crapsman!

Why is the solution suggested so many times here, to keep working on the POS flywheel? Throw it in the re-cycle bin, buy another, and get the saw back together. Its clearly an important part of your woodsmithing. If this is a bored persons quizzical experiment, sending him down a rabbit hole of wasted time, to get a saw valued at the price of a small pizza and a 12 pack....thats just cruel. Working on junk for the sake of trying is commendable, but the machine has to deserve the effort....thats a Crapsman!
It's a Poulan, good saw.

Ha Ha! I knew you could do it! LOL :cool: OT

@Wood Doctor great job on getting it done. Sometimes when you start something seemingly trivial you just can't stop till you win....you won! Did you press the pin back in with hydraulic press or freeze method etc.?
BTW, that's a great lookin saw, I have the same thick ring and it has my respect.

Definitely a Poulan made winner.

@Wood Doctor great job on getting it done. Sometimes when you start something seemingly trivial you just can't stop till you win....you won! Did you press the pin back in with hydraulic press or freeze method etc.?
BTW, that's a great lookin saw, I have the same thick ring and it has my respect.

Definitely a Poulan made winner.
I just pounded the pin back in and believe me it was tight. Then I tuned the carb a tad. I told the owner that it needs a new chain and that I could make one for him.

p.s. I like HarleyT's Wild Thing better than the one's I've saved in the boneyard with blown engines.

Latest posts

Back