Craftsman 358.355050

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will get pictures of them over lunch. I was going to check them on the crank to see how they feel on it at that time too.

Anyone know if the ring for this saw is the same as the ring for a Partner 335, 340 and 345? It has the same part number, is the only reason why I am asking. I just broke mine, very stupidly, while I was pulling the cylinder off for a third time.

Well, I have my saw back together and it is running like a champ. Has new main crank bearings, crank seals, lines and caber piston ring. The sucker starts very well, compared to what everyone has said about the Poulan 2000. From sitting for several days, it is usually running with in about 5 pulls. After I got it back together and was going to start it for the first time, the fuel line was fully populated with fuel after 2 pulls. I was surprised as hell when I saw that. The only thing I need to do now is possibly get a new bar and get some better chains for it. It is currently running the original Poulan bar that came with the saw. And it is running an oregon 3/8 LP safety chain that you get at walmart or any other box store. I ground the anti-kickback tie straps down to make it cut a little better. I was also surprised as hell that the oiler was working without trouble on it. I did completely go through it and cleaned it up. This will be my trimming/limbing saw, along with my 020AV that I have. I just have to get that one running again now.

Well, I have my saw back together and it is running like a champ. Has new main crank bearings, crank seals, lines and caber piston ring. The sucker starts very well, compared to what everyone has said about the Poulan 2000. From sitting for several days, it is usually running with in about 5 pulls. After I got it back together and was going to start it for the first time, the fuel line was fully populated with fuel after 2 pulls. I was surprised as hell when I saw that. The only thing I need to do now is possibly get a new bar and get some better chains for it. It is currently running the original Poulan bar that came with the saw. And it is running an oregon 3/8 LP safety chain that you get at walmart or any other box store. I ground the anti-kickback tie straps down to make it cut a little better. I was also surprised as hell that the oiler was working without trouble on it. I did completely go through it and cleaned it up. This will be my trimming/limbing saw, along with my 020AV that I have. I just have to get that one running again now.
Those are good little saws for the time they were made. I still have the original one I bought from Lowe's about 30 years ago. Still runs. No, they're not built like a S25 but they do well for the time they were produced and the price range they sold in, and they're easy to work on. Sounds like you've done well and gotten that one purring again.

I can't complain at all, since I got the saw given to me. I have about $35 in it total. So for that in it right now, it will be a good saw to have for small jobs. Since it is a low RPM saw, it should have some decent torque for what it is. It is still seating the new ring, so all it is going to do is just keep getting stronger as I use it. I am very pleased with how it turned out. It is my second mag cased saw that I own. It is actually a good thing that I tore it down completely, because someone else had it apart at some point in time and lost some of the hardware. Half of the case screws, that hold the case halves together, were missing. And who ever put it together, used a blue silicone RTV on the case seam. They had way to much on the seam, so it just squeezed into everywhere. Everything got put back together with Three Bond. I had to make new seals for the Oil Pump Assembly. I was able to salvage the gasket that goes between the top handle and the crank case. I just put a little Teflon grease on either side of it to help rejuvenate it. The main bearings had a little play in them, so that is why they got replaced. Figured while I was doing the bearings, may as well do the seals while I had it apart. The cylinder base had the same blue silicone RTV on it, so it got Three Bond. I didn't check the squish on it, but I know that nothing is hitting and the compression isn't outrageous. It is a good, solid runner though.

What is everyone's opinions of the original poulan bars that are on these saws? What is the failing point on these bars?

Will this saw pull an 18" bar? I am not thinking fully buried in anything. I am thinking more for extra reach for trimming and limbing. I have an 18" bar and 3 3/8LP chains from a McCulloch, that I would have to modify that bar to fit it. The only reason I have the bar and chains is because the saw they go to has a bad ignition coil. It is a Mac Cat 600160-02 and I haven't been able to find just the coil. All I can find is the coil and flywheel combo. I personally don't think it is worth almost $70 to fix it. If someone has a good coil laying around for it, I would be interested in fixing it.

Offhand I'd say the bar from the MacCat should fit.

Heck, I sold one of the little Poulans 1.9 cu in with an 18" bar on it as that was the only bar available at the time. I did urge the buyer to get one 10" or 12" for it.

As for the MacCat, drop it off the nearest landfill.

It (the MacCat) was the only saw I ever destroyed out of frustration by slamming it repeatedly on our driveway.

That was kind of my thoughts on the maccat. I am not saying that the 18" bar would be an all the time thing. I just figured that I have it, why not use it. It is 3/8LP and so is the craftsman/poulan. The craftsman/poulan currently has a 14" on it. Thanks for the thoughts.

Well, I have my saw back together and it is running like a champ. Has new main crank bearings, crank seals, lines and caber piston ring. The sucker starts very well, compared to what everyone has said about the Poulan 2000. From sitting for several days, it is usually running with in about 5 pulls. After I got it back together and was going to start it for the first time, the fuel line was fully populated with fuel after 2 pulls. I was surprised as hell when I saw that. The only thing I need to do now is possibly get a new bar and get some better chains for it. It is currently running the original Poulan bar that came with the saw. And it is running an oregon 3/8 LP safety chain that you get at walmart or any other box store.

I ground the anti-kickback tie straps down to make it cut a little better. I was also surprised as hell that the oiler was working without trouble on it. I did completely go through it and cleaned it up. This will be my trimming/limbing saw, along with my 020AV that I have. I just have to get that one running again now.
Exactly my experience as well. A guy gave one to me after I repaired his Wood Shark last month. He said this Craftsman refused to start and had not run in over 10 years. I cleaned it up and started it. Piece of cake for me. The engine ran perfectly after a minor carb adjustment. That's not easy since the carb is blanketed with a housing.

I figure the 33 cc engine will pull any bar from 10" to 16", but 14" is ideal. These saws were built before Poulan started building junk. No primer bulb means that I like the engine even more. It reminds me a lot of the old Poulan Countervibe XXV that I bought back in 1975. I'm keeping this saw and am glad that I saved it from the landfill.

Exactly my experience as well. A guy gave one to me after I repaired his Wood Shark last month. He said this Craftsman refused to start and had not run in over 10 years. I cleaned it up and started it. Piece of cake for me. The engine ran perfectly after a minor carb adjustment. That's not easy since the carb is blanketed with a housing.

I figure the 33 cc engine will pull any bar from 10" to 16", but 14" is ideal. These saws were built before Poulan started building junk. No primer bulb means that I like the engine even more. It reminds me a lot of the old Poulan Countervibe XXV that I bought back in 1975. I'm keeping this saw and am glad that I saved it from the landfill.

I really like mine too. It has been performing well, even with the junk oregon chain on it. I am planning to get some decent oregon vxl chain for the 14" bar. Did you keep the original poulan bar or replace it with a new bar? I do hate that I have to pull the cover in order to adjust the carb on it. But if that is the worst thing about it, then I can't complain.

I really like mine too. It has been performing well, even with the junk oregon chain on it. I am planning to get some decent oregon vxl chain for the 14" bar. Did you keep the original poulan bar or replace it with a new bar? I do hate that I have to pull the cover in order to adjust the carb on it. But if that is the worst thing about it, then I can't complain.
Just for the heck of it, I installed a 16" bar to see if it could pull it. It did fine, but I think that's asking too much from it. Soon as I get a 14" bar that fits, I'll change it out. The little 10" bar is quite a conversation piece and great for smaller limbs. I'll use it often for pruning and whacking up limbs blown down.

The only saw that I have that could properly pull the 18" bar, is my upgraded 029 super. But that is a totally different bar mount. But in order to do that, I would have to get another rim for it, in order to pull 3/8LP. The poulan is already setup to pull 3/8LP and that is why I was thinking it for just doing limbing with it. There is the potential that I come across another saw that will take that bar and would pull it just fine. It and the 2 new chains I have for it can sit.

Check your local Wal Mart. Ours just had a big clearance on all that Poulan and Oregon stuff. They had 14 inch bars cheap. Also check Left Coast. They had those 12 inch bar and chain combos really cheap. I bought a couple for my different saws. That bar and chain combo fits a lot of saws.

Latest posts

Back