Vintage Craftsman 3.7/18" Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoJo99

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just recently scored a lot of 18 chainsaws from facebook marketplace and am looking for manuals and information. One of the saws that I was able to get running is a Craftsman 3.7/18" Chainsaw. The model number is 917.353760 and the serial number is 2418M20866. From what I can determine online this is a Roper/Craftsman saw as opposed to a Poulan/Craftsman saw. Does anyone know where I can find an owner's manual for this saw? I have no idea how old it is or what the value of it is either. It has the power sharp grinding stone built in, in addition to some other buttons I'm not sure on. One thing I was able to find online is the fuel oil ratio for this saw is 16:1, which I have never seen before! :oops:

Thanks Ray and Hotshot! Any idea on how old this saw is? Im thinking early to mid 70s, as it looks like in the late 70s production was passed on to poulan.

Also any idea on what this saw is worth? I got it running great, and overall the saw is in decent shape, aside from some scuff marks.

Hello everyone. I just recently scored a lot of 18 chainsaws from facebook marketplace and am looking for manuals and information. One of the saws that I was able to get running is a Craftsman 3.7/18" Chainsaw. The model number is 917.353760 and the serial number is 2418M20866. From what I can determine online this is a Roper/Craftsman saw as opposed to a Poulan/Craftsman saw. Does anyone know where I can find an owner's manual for this saw? I have no idea how old it is or what the value of it is either. It has the power sharp grinding stone built in, in addition to some other buttons I'm not sure on. One thing I was able to find online is the fuel oil ratio for this saw is 16:1, which I have never seen before! :oops:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/495312/Craftsman-917-353771.html

That craftsman 3.7 / Roper is a 1978 on the year. I own the same saw as your describing and one without the sharpener under the name, Scotsman, You don't need to mix your fuel 16:1, That was back before there was synthetic oils being used! I mix all my saws with 50:1 Husqvarna oil but if that makes you feel like thats not enough go 40:1 , But don't mix it 16:1 or you will plug the exaust port up and if its cold out i seriously doubt you won't even get it to fire up! I own 70 chainsaws and I have never scored a cylinder on any of my saws with 50:1 mix.

Back