Craftsman chainsaw need info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyrc100

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a used Sears chainsaw # 358.355061, I would say its from the mid 80's. I have no idea what the displacement of the engine is. My guess is 30-38cc. I can go to the sears parts site and see what spares are available, but nothing on the engine size.

Any ideas on where I could go to find out? Many Thanks

Welcome to the site!

You should check out Mike Acres' site - http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf You can search the chainsaw listings and find the model number of Craftsman saw that you have. Most of his listings are pretty accurate, though there are some errors and some entries have incomplete info.

If you have further questions, why not post the model number AND some pics in the Chainsaw discussion board here at Arboristsite. Lots of expertise in there, I'm sure folks can tell you more about it than you care to know!!

Again, welcome aboard!

Picture of housing

Thanks for the info Computeruser, the site you mentioned is exellent, but my saw is not listed. Im going to try and post a picture of the housing, the rest of the saw is gone, I converted the engine to an RC airplane mill.

Looks like one of those rebadged Poulans. They had a couple versions, 1.8ci-2.0ci, if memory serves. Wish I had a better answer than that.

This question should get moved to the Chainsaw section. Not something I can do, but I'm sure one of the mods will move it...

The 358 in the model number corresponds to Poulan as the manufacturer. The sears site lists the owners manual as part # 530-0666-46 for $4.93. I tried to get piston or cylinder numbers from sears and cross reference them on another parts site . Take a look at poulan 2300 AV, 2300 CVA, 2350 CVA or the micro xxv saws. Your saw should be one of those.

Displacement

flyrc100 said:
Hi,
I bought a used Sears chainsaw # 358.355061, I would say its from the mid 80's. I have no idea what the displacement of the engine is. My guess is 30-38cc. I can go to the sears parts site and see what spares are available, but nothing on the engine size.

Any ideas on where I could go to find out? Many Thanks
If you can find a part number on the cylinder then go to outdoordistributors.com and compare it to the poulan 1800 or 2000 . Your housing looks like my 1989 poulan 2000 . I gotta ask , how did it fly ?

:greenchainsaw: i my self have the same saw. it great for little stuff cost me a whole 10.00. it nneded a simple fuel line.also it is the poulan 2000 model.they are exactly the same.i dont like the fact that the blade with stop if pushed to hard. but its great for cutting branches.

i would like to find a manual or atleast some info on the auto oiler. dont think mine works.

2000 oiler

ocv5 said:
:greenchainsaw: i my self have the same saw. it great for little stuff cost me a whole 10.00. it nneded a simple fuel line.also it is the poulan 2000 model.they are exactly the same.i dont like the fact that the blade with stop if pushed to hard. but its great for cutting branches.

i would like to find a manual or atleast some info on the auto oiler. dont think mine works.
ocv5 , you can download an IPL from outdoordistributors.com . The oiler works from crankcase pulses pressurizing the oil tank .

Try calling Baileys they have a very knowledgable maintance staff. Thier phone number is available on their website www.baileysonline.com, they also have a site on AS you could also publish a thread on there.
Jared

I have a smaller version of that saw!

ITs # is 358-352630
Heres are a couple 800 numbers?
Poulen 800-554-6723
Sears parts 800-252-1698
I also have the owners manual that has all the part numbers if your in need email me.

scottr said:
ocv5 , you can download an IPL from outdoordistributors.com . The oiler works from crankcase pulses pressurizing the oil tank .

Right on.

OCV5,
On the sprocket/chain side, there's a hexbolt head(some are slotted and its the pressure bleed off thingy) that is located behind and up from the clutch drum. Remove it and make sure its clean. Then I would put it back and work on the oiler diaphram that is located southeast of the clutch and drum. Pull the two screws holding that in and clean the sponge filter. It may be clogged with debris. You should also clean the line by taking carb cleaner with the small straw that most come with and spray into the line to see that it comes out of the oiler hole that gets oil to the bar. Put it back together and see if that helps. You may have to replace that check valve or bleed off screw thingy in step one. I did these same steps to one one time and ended up having to replace the bolt thing anyway.

Displacement??

So what was the conclusion of the Craftsman Chainsaw? The model 358-355061 or the poulan 2000?? (same engine?).

I also need to know the displacement.

thanks,

ApisM

Apism said:
So what was the conclusion of the Craftsman Chainsaw? The model 358-355061 or the poulan 2000?? (same engine?).

I also need to know the displacement.

thanks,

ApisM
Apism , the 358.355061 Craftsman chainsaw has a cylinder number 530012065 . The outdoordistributors website lists that cylinder under the poulan 2300AV which is a 38cc saw ..

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the letting me know the cc. I apreciate it. I was trying to research this but got frustrated until I came across these comments on this website. This is a great forum!

Apis M

engine

Hello Scott,

No, I don't fly a Poulan engine, but I am getting into RC airplanes. I have an electric one currently (just practicing to get more familar with controling these planes). I already lost one in the wood because it got too high and a gust of wind came. I live in a remote location (north of Lake Superior, Canada) so if it goes into the woods your mostly out of luck.

This was a true Chainsaw question, but now you got me thinking. You can use these engines for RC? Are they similar and how do you rig them up? Any notes? This could cut the cost down for this hobby, right.

cheers,
ApisM

Apism said:
Hello Scott,

No, I don't fly a Poulan engine, but I am getting into RC airplanes. I have an electric one currently (just practicing to get more familar with controling these planes). I already lost one in the wood because it got too high and a gust of wind came. I live in a remote location (north of Lake Superior, Canada) so if it goes into the woods your mostly out of luck.

This was a true Chainsaw question, but now you got me thinking. You can use these engines for RC? Are they similar and how do you rig them up? Any notes? This could cut the cost down for this hobby, right.

cheers,
ApisM
Yes , the Poulans are used in RC airplanes . That's what flyrc100 does . I've seen a lot of poulan parts on ebay because the engine was used for a rc airplane project . Imagine a RC Wildting . Did you find the IPL on ordertree.com for the Poulan 2300AV ?

well thanks guys. i learned more than i knew about the saw. know that i know what i need to do i will get to it soon.also i though it was only about a 28cc engine but it nice to know it a 37.7. iether way it a great little engine . or atleast mine is. is there anything i can do with the cluch to stop slipping.or is that norml.

Yeah, you're going to save tons of money here!:laugh:

Latest posts

Back