craftsman professional saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FXDL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
found this saw on their website model #36218. anyone know who makes this saw and if it's a decent saw?
thanks

Bob vila loves 'em, and he's a professional 'umberjack....said so on tee vee. Seriously, I don't think they're much good if you actually want to use them.;)

Isn't it sad?

Way back in the 1970's when I first started my collection of tools, Sears was a common place to order many items. The Mac tools and Snap-on trucks would come to the farms, but you had to place orders over the phone and wait, sometimes more than a couple weeks to see them...and the prices were high. Auto parts places had good stuff usually, but high-priced too; and some of the stuff wasn't all that good.

Sears was available to anyone; nearly every town with more than a couple hundred people had a catalog sales desk, often in an existing store if not stand-alone, or you could shop from a catalog and order over the phone. I've got a lot of sears hand tools, an air compressor, some power tools, etc., including a sears band saw from the 1950's. Most of it was good, solid stuff, even if it didn't have the style and graceful lines of some other brands.

Now you gotta search far and wide for the stuff you need, and sometimes it sux. We remodelled a few years ago, and the kitchen and one bath got all-new Eljer fixtures. Now nobody stocks repair parts locally; the store where we got the plumbing supplies has never heard of them.

"Should have gone with Delta!"

Funny, that isn't what his dad said a few years ago!

Anyway, back to chainsaws: That poulan saw will be OK if you're not really a pro logger using it hard every day of the week. But it won't have the joy of a new brand-name saw either. You get what you pay for.

i found a craftsman 36/16" at the scrap yard. i fixed the spark issue and now it's a great saw. it starts right up, runs and cuts wood. that's my criteria for a "good saw". i'm assuming that the "pro" version is a similar saw with more power and longer bar.

No, that saw is the same unit as a Ryobi or Redmax GZ400.

I think it is a Redmax GZ4000, made in Japan. I think the GZ400 is made in China, as is the Ryobi. It is a good saw & it is not a Poulan.

i found a craftsman 36/16" at the scrap yard. i fixed the spark issue and now it's a great saw. it starts right up, runs and cuts wood. that's my criteria for a "good saw". i'm assuming that the "pro" version is a similar saw with more power and longer bar.

attachment.php

FUNNY,that chain tensioner is the same design STIHL has been trying to push on us the last couple of years as an option on some saw's

FUNNY,that chain tensioner is the same design STIHL has been trying to push on us the last couple of years as an option on some saw's

I sharpened a guy's saw that had a tensioner like that. I think it said made by mattel or hasbro, can't quite remember now.:confused:

"Craftsman" and "Professional" are mutually exclusive and should not be used in the same sentence.

I beg to differ and offer proof.
attachment.php

Seems this Craftsman is more professional then anything in your signature.

Oh and I have seen that new Craftsman Professional in the store and it don't look too bad. Wouldn't mind trying one out.

I beg to differ and offer proof.
attachment.php

Seems this Craftsman is more professional then anything in your signature.

Oh and I have seen that new Craftsman Professional in the store and it don't look too bad. Wouldn't mind trying one out.

I saw it on their website but they want 265 on sale! reg price was like 360. i was thing for that price perhaps it's decent, worth taking a look at.

I saw it on their website but they want 265 on sale! reg price was like 360. i was thing for that price perhaps it's decent, worth taking a look at.

I think it is worth looking at for that price. Price a Redmax out and see how it compares, then look that Craftsman over and note where it is made.
That being said, the Chinese version (Ryobi) is a lot of saw for cheap $, if you don't mind a little work.

Latest posts

Back