Craigslist Chrusader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However this is a lawsuit happy society and we do not allow any customers on our property for safety concerns and insurance reasons. All it takes is one time and you know the rest of the story.
How many of you allow people on your property to pick up firewood?

I do and my buddy does and he is the largest producer of firewood in the Toledo area, over half he sells is picked up but only about 25% of mine is picked up

The price will increase because sellers will be forced to stack wood before loading or stack it after dumping ...that's time consuming.

imo govt regs have already contributed to this confusion by insisting in some states that wood can only be sold by the cord...a unit of measurement that was convenient for steam locomotives and boats.

Today we want wood to fit our stoves my 16" split is not efficient for an OWB requiring a 24" split so a face cord would be a more appropriate unit of measurement.

Democratic party trash are already envious of the 3k+ we save a year and feel they should have their share of this for their parasite lap dogs. To invite regulation to a time honored horse trading of buying wood is inviting disaster.

Those donkeys will corrupt the whole wood burning process just like they turned policemen to revenue agents with guns.

While crime has skyrocketed tickets for seatbelt/cell phones/speeding keep increasing because they want to save us from ourselves..."we are concerned for your safety" so...

... we will inspect your firewood...

...we will inspect you chimneys..

...we will make sure you get want you pay for.

We do that because you can't stick up for yourself. I want to live in a place where I can say no thank you.

Last edited:
Apporiate Measurement

" Today we want wood to fit our stoves my 16" split is not efficient for an OWB requiring a 24" split so a face cord would be a more appropriate unit of measurement."

The appropriate measurement is. 1/3 cord 16" long. 1/2 cord 24" long

People are quite quick to pass judgement. Alright, MGA and Savageactor7.....

If you even read the post, I don't have any idea how you can say that I am whining, My post stated facts to try to protect my neighbors from these good ole boy scammers.

I didn't see any whining, and I agree, I can't see how anybody could say that was whining. He's right, the sellers are wrong, and he's doing the right thing by blowing the whistle on them and trying to educate other buyers so they don't get scammed.

And if you call it a cord, and it isn't 128 cubic feet, you are a thief. Period.

A Cord is a Cord?

Does anyone have the website of the wood seller who has a full page on his site explaining how 2 stacks 4'x8'x16" equals a Cord? That is a real work of BS.

Crusader you should have answered my ad on craigslist you would have got a full cord delivered and stacked. 3 stacks 4x8x16" But the price would have been higher.

Scott

We advertise on St.Louis Craigslist as well. What gets me is that we're located on the eastside of the river and mention that in our ad. You get replies from people wanting you to deliver firewood a 100 plus miles away for the same price.
Some folks just don't get it if they paid a certain price for a cord of wood 2 years ago they expect the same now.
Gas prices have doubled since then and now they have decreased for the time being. Who's loss,who's gain?
If you're selling "seasoned" wood then the wood you processed was more than likely during the high fuel period,personally we'll let the wood rot before we give it away just to compete with a cut-rate cutter.
We burn our own wood as well and provide a service to a few Tree Service businesses and process wood from our own property from storms, development, etc. so we have plenty of extra wood on hand that we couldn't burn in a lifetime.
Our theory is why let the "good" wood go to waste by dumping it in a ditch,chipping, or burning.
Like others have mentioned it's extra income for our business in the off season and not a means of support with no disregard to the laid-off person trying to make ends meet. Times are getting tough and people are getting desperate around the holidays especially.
This is a buyer beware problem also and government intervention with regulation will add taxes and increase costs as well.
So our message to the buyer is take the time to stack the wood in measurement or pay the provider to do so. We will deliver the wood stacked on our truck and provide the tape measure and calculator for your own decision making process from the wood we deliver.
However this is a lawsuit happy society and we do not allow any customers on our property for safety concerns and insurance reasons. All it takes is one time and you know the rest of the story.
How many of you allow people on your property to pick up firewood?

I sell in the same area. I have delivered as far away as 70 miles. I usually deliver at least 2 cord at a time so it factors out ok. Can you even bring wood over the river legally? I heard you can't but I'm not for sure. I never allow pick ups. I don't want people on the property to "inventory it" to come back at a later date.

Scott

I sell in the same area. I have delivered as far away as 70 miles. I usually deliver at least 2 cord at a time so it factors out ok. Can you even bring wood over the river legally? I heard you can't but I'm not for sure. I never allow pick ups. I don't want people on the property to "inventory it" to come back at a later date.

Scott
Howdy neighbor!
I'm not sure of the legality of transporting firewood across the river? Would it be considered an agricultural or an exempt commodity? We receive a lot of inquiries from the Missouri side but we decline.
We border Madison County the "lawsuit" capital of the world,we have found this out from our snow removal side of our business. A minimum personal injury suit in Mad. Co is 50 grand.
Also like you stated "I never allow pickups" our property is in the "sticks" and we do not want to get "stuck".
:agree2:

I do and my buddy does and he is the largest producer of firewood in the Toledo area, over half he sells is picked up but only about 25% of mine is picked up
We just have too much material and heavy equipment around and we just don't invite trouble and try to practice loss prevention.
Like I also mentioned in our area you'll have to have a retailers license, add sales taXXX and answer to bureacrats, "Kash is King".

People are quite quick to pass judgement. Alright, MGA and Savageactor7.....

If you even read the post, I don't have any idea how you can say that I am whining, My post stated facts to try to protect my neighbors from these good ole boy scammers.

I am not wealthy, and I burn wood to keep the price of my utilities down. If I buy a cord of wood for 160.00, then I save money. If I buy a cord of wood for 160.00 and get 2/3 of it, I don't.

I went with the seller I chose because his girlfriend sent me an e-mail in response to an add I posted that requested a CORD of wood. I let them know that I was perfectly aware of what a cord of wood was by the standard of measurements. He told me that he was on his way to the city and had a load of wood with him. I asked him repeatedly if it was a CORD of wood and he said yes. He also said that if I was not happy with the load, he would make it right. I was at work. I allowed my wife to recieve the wood. When I got home the next day I e-mailed and called him, it was not a cord. I continued to e-mail and call him for over a week before approaching the MO D.O.A. Both the seller and I were aware that this was an honor system agreement, and I stated this before he delivered the wood. I was continually assured that the deal would be right or he would make it right.

So after I was avoided for over a week, I found the contact for the division of weights and measures for MO. I e-mailed them. The following Thursday, I was contacted and advised an inspector would come out, measure the wood and pursue the matter. I was at work, and could not give all the info he requested. He gave me his phone # and asked I call him on Monday, that would be the earliest an inspector was avail. I e-mailed the seller and told him my approach. Over that weekend, I got an e-mail from the seller. He said he had been in the hospital with his girlfriend and didn't get any of my messages. He apologized and said he would make it right. I disregarded the DOA.

3 More days have passed. I have been calling the seller, with no answer. I have e-mailed him repeatedly, and I get responses, but my message is cut from the reply and he acts like he hasn't recieved my e-mail. Soooo. What would you guys do?

The cost of firewood is obviously more expensive for ME already if I am not getting what I agree to pay for. My actions are to put honesty back into liars. If any of you are afraid of people like me knowing the truth, then you must have something to hide. I've gotten a dozen responses from the 2 posts I've put up, all in STL area, most from people that have either been ripped off, or didn't know whether or not they were being treated fairly. I have also gotten posts from people defending themselves. Honest people don't have to defend themselves.

One last thing, Sometimes I pee sitting down while I'm taking a ####. Do you stand up during a Bowel Movement, then urinate, then sit back down? Sounds messy. That is all.

Thanks Mark for bringing this to my attn. I always enjoy a good forum. :clap:

never said you were whining, bro..........people in general always feel someone is trying to rip them off, and, in many cases, it may be true. also, if you're buying a cord of wood, you should get a cord of wood.

that being the case, when enough people complain they have been ripped off, i see the government stepping in to some how regulate the selling of firewood. that was my point.

there are just too many people out there trying to scam others and how is a consumer supposed to know who is selling straight versus who isn't? it could be an expensive turkey shoot trying to find a legitimate seller.

it's unfortunate that the scammers create complainers, but that's the way life is. however, there are also scammers on the buying end trying to squeeze the sellers as well. such is life in the firewood business.

i don't buy my wood, but when i see a "cord" of wood going rather cheaply in some ad somewhere, i tend to believe something is wrong. either it isn't "hardwood" as they said, or it isn't the full "cord" they claim. the old saying "too good to be true..."

you paid for a full cord, you should have received it. i'd be pissed off too. however, he'll say he delivered a full cord, you'll say he didn't. now what?

some state regulations claim a full cord is measured by the "original stack" and not the delivered stack. heh....try to argue that one!!!

Last edited:
Back