Craigslist Find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riles32807

Stihl Tri-ing
Reaction score
Found a Stihl 025 on Craigslist for $50. Seems to run really well, but I'll need to find some wood to put it into. The guy said he used to use it alot when he lived in Montana, but it's just sat since he moved to FL. Also said there were three other guys asking about it. Sorry if they were any of you.

It needs some cleaning and a new chain, the one on it has just about been filed down to nubs. What can you tell me about this saw? From what I've read is great for an occasional use saw and a steal at $50.

That is a great little saw, o21,23,25 are the same saw family. Easy to start, light and way more useful than the ms 170,180. To me thats where Stihls should start, not the ms 170,180. I have had quite a few Stihls and I have respect for those little ones, I even think they are better that the fleet of 028's I used to use. They were heavier and were not light enough for tree top work and not heavy enough for ground work. The 025,23,21 were light duty but much more easier to run, albiet not for anything that required fire wood duty. Private property maintence, pruning and small tree removal or light limbs, were its bag. Anything else then you started with the 024 which was the smallest of the pro saws, the 026 being my most used go to saw from Stihl. Good luck safe cutting, and buy another if you are going to heat yourself. It just is not worth the frustration of using the wrong tool for a job it was not intended for.

Oh You Do Suck.

The last 026 I picked up for $50 had to be rebuilt.

Somebody in the Yukon has it now.

Thanks.

Burnses, I'll keep an eye out when I open it up. Just cleaned up the outside tonight. I don't know if it's what you were referring to, but peaking on the back side of the air filter, I can see a wire that's been worn.

The chain is shot, the bar is more than well worn but I think it still has some life in it. Sighting down the guide, one side is higher than the other. I found a video of a guy filing down an uneven guide, he used a large hand file. Would it be bad to hit it with an angle grinder, then finish up with the file?

Now, I know there have been whole flame threads devoted to this, but what chain to put on it? The bar if I use it, is 16" .325 do I go full chisel to eat up some wood? Or semi because it's going to see occasional home owner abuse.. I mean use? Most of the wood I've cut in the past has been live oak branches for friends.

If you were to give that thing a bath and throw it back on CL with pics it would likely put two Franklins in your pocket the same day! Your are, indeed, one lucky individual! Congrats! My dad has an 026 and I have an MS260. These are our go-to saws. And, as you can see from my sig I have a selection to choose from. I run that MS260 more than all the others combined!!!

Latest posts

Back