Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading these threads and got curious so I jumped on CL for my area and found a person who needs a bunch of hard maples thinned out and there is also a lot of blow down. Most of the wood is along his 200 foot driveway and within easy reach. He/she will go halves on the wood and all he wants is his/her wood cut but not split just dumped in a pile by his owb.
It is also very close to me. I might have to take a look. Also stated that their was enough dry stuff to burn this winter for a couple homes. Sounds pretty good, what do you all think?
I'm sure there is a bunch of ash in there that has been killed by the bug I could casually point out to him/her.

Bushmans,

Sounds like free labor to me.

Tell the guy your willing to clean up the fallen wood for free, but a tree service needs to come for the rest.
Or you could offer him a rate for removing trees, cutting and stacking wood for him.
Bet the deal sounds a little different to him then.

Just think would you offer a plumber 1/2 the old copper pipes he removes as payment from a house plumbing job?

If you think of the true value of a cord of wood to you after time getting it, gas/oil to cut it, fuel to get it home and gas/time to split and stack it.
It amounts to verry little, and at 1/2 that wood you keep i bet you would be loosing money.

JMO

Bushmans,

Sounds like free labor to me.

Tell the guy your willing to clean up the fallen wood for free, but a tree service needs to come for the rest.
Or you could offer him a rate for removing trees, cutting and stacking wood for him.
Bet the deal sounds a little different to him then.

Just think would you offer a plumber 1/2 the old copper pipes he removes as payment from a house plumbing job?

If you think of the true value of a cord of wood to you after time getting it, gas/oil to cut it, fuel to get it home and gas/time to split and stack it.
It amounts to verry little, and at 1/2 that wood you keep i bet you would be loosing money.

JMO

My first thought was no way not half but then I started thinking about my 50 mile round trip to get green wood right now becasue I have no other place to cut right now and it didn't seem as bad then. I was hoping to meet them and see how much work it was going to be and then try to deal on the sharing thing. They stated it was mostly 8"-20" maples that needed cut. No clarification on clean up but that would all have to be ironed out at time of deal. They even said they would help as much as possible but were tied down with a disabled child.
I'm not a pro and I onlyhave a fireplace for now but I have already went through a cord this winter so far and it hasn't even got cold yet.
I can always meet and then say no i guess.

Bushmans,

Meeting them is a good way to go and set the ground rules.

If you have no insurance i wouldn't cut any trees down.
1 accident dropping a tree can make for many years of legal trouble.

Sure take away the dead wood and point out to them your time and wood value, costs.
You can make them a pile but 50% is just a loosing value.
10% maybe, and they really need a insured tree service to drop trees, you can save them money cleaning them up for them afterwards.
And it wouldn't hurt for you to have personal accident insurance when not working at home.
Accients happen fast and when you least expect them, no point in a long drawn out legal battle you dont even want to be in because you were on someone elses property and the insurance company says no.

Bushmans,

A better way to get free wood is to have a look in your local area for orchards.
Any fruit orchard will do just fine, all the fruit wood is really nice firewood.

Give each of them a call and ask if they have any dead wood they would like removed free.

Bet a couple of them have piles of nicely cured pruned fruit wood and even entire dead trees.

Shares

When I split if I just splitting it's 50/50 if I have to saw in to 16 inch chunks it 2/3 for me and a third for them and they move there share there self. (Never) drop a tree or clean up the tops. I got into that they thought I drop the tree but it was another bunch of people. Later Always remember you doing them a favor. One tree drop by tree people can get in to the thousands plus. I am sure they have already checked around.

Do a search on CL and see if they posted the same listing in the past. It's nice to get the wood but using your saw and your labor for half??? I think that might be asking a bit much. Thomas is right. Maybe 2/3 unless you have the free time and don't mind doing it. Remember one thing, If your saw goes out, those people are out nothing. Sit down and talk to them and try to come up with a better deal. I fall no trees for anyone unless they are out in the woods. I build no stairs and do no roofs. One thing goes wrong and they will be on you like flys on a manure pile.

I did forget to mention it is all in the woods. I haven't heard back yet from the guy so we'll see.
I think he normally does it himself but is really hard up for time this year. The fact that he has an OWB is somewhat reassuring. More than likley he won't even respond back. Wood is a high commodity around here. Everything is locked up in farm land and getting permission or even buying rights is tough. Just about every farm house on my road has an OWB now.

Shoot for the stars, and maybe you will land on the moon. Maybe that is his bargaining chip.
"Okay, I tell you whut... you aint even gonna have to deliver it. I will git it me self. Deal?"

Fireplace hotter colder

BTW, wife and I saw something on mythbusters about how a fireplace actually makes the house colder. They proved it with temperature gauges. She has been using that excuse as to why I don't need a fire. But I lit a fire one day, and the wife said "It is really hot in here. Do we really need the fire?" I reminded her that the fire doesn't make it hotter.... but it should be making it colder. I guess my fireplace is different than the one they had on Mythbusters.

BTW, wife and I saw something on mythbusters about how a fireplace actually makes the house colder. They proved it with temperature gauges. She has been using that excuse as to why I don't need a fire. But I lit a fire one day, and the wife said "It is really hot in here. Do we really need the fire?" I reminded her that the fire doesn't make it hotter.... but it should be making it colder. I guess my fireplace is different than the one they had on Mythbusters.

I seen that one too. Didn't seem right. I mean really how did the Ingalls stay alive out there on the prarie with a fireplace that made their little house colder?

All I know is its 20 degrees outside right now and my downstairs den is a cozy 85 degrees and warming the rest of the house with it.:msp_sneaky:

To many variables. Once our field stone fireplace gets going, you cant stay in the room unless it is real cold out. No way I'm loosing heat. Besides, its ambiance too...

I bet it all comes down to how much you use a fireplace or woodstove.
If it's casual use i bet it does make the house cooler in total, moderate use and it has a warming factor and full time use is a no brainer.

Looking fer a Good Hearted Woman
Looking fer a Good Hearted Woman (up north)
Date: 2012-01-03, 3:01AM CST
Reply to:

lonly farmer neer wausau looking fer 20-30 sumtin any breed but smart to marrie-younins OK. im just don tired workin been rode hard n put away wet nigh on 60+ years so i be lookin much older. done got much cash money with them damn gubmint t bills down so low gittin not much mor'in 50 a year. did sow my oats like all the boys so much heck i got bord certifyd in female medcine buy the on the job traning. reckon i can tell most female problems by look smell n taste. not much fer book lernin but red the good book n got to say love is the bestest of all. got no kin folk to speak of to spend what litlel i got or leev anythin but 840 + acres of prime botom land. just letin it go falow now what with that damn gubmint help and rich bugs buyin up everythin round me. but i will be damnd to hell iffin that damn gubmint goin to git it all damn strate. soes if you ben walkin a crooked path but gots the guts to walk strate n uprite look me over. but don bother me wit a sob story or sum bs i done herd it all. doan reely spect much this bein craigs place but what the heck. happy new year.

An entire wood lot for free!!!

We have a lot that is approximately 3/4 acre that was planted as Christmas trees many years ago. Now the trees are about 20-30'. I would like to have the lot cleared for our horses. If you are interested in clearing the lot for the wood, give me a call at xxxxxxx.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Looking fer a Good Hearted Woman
Looking fer a Good Hearted Woman (up north)
Date: 2012-01-03, 3:01AM CST
Reply to:

lonly farmer neer wausau looking fer 20-30 sumtin any breed but smart to marrie-younins OK. im just don tired workin been rode hard n put away wet nigh on 60+ years so i be lookin much older. done got much cash money with them damn gubmint t bills down so low gittin not much mor'in 50 a year. did sow my oats like all the boys so much heck i got bord certifyd in female medcine buy the on the job traning. reckon i can tell most female problems by look smell n taste. not much fer book lernin but red the good book n got to say love is the bestest of all. got no kin folk to speak of to spend what litlel i got or leev anythin but 840 + acres of prime botom land. just letin it go falow now what with that damn gubmint help and rich bugs buyin up everythin round me. but i will be damnd to hell iffin that damn gubmint goin to git it all damn strate. soes if you ben walkin a crooked path but gots the guts to walk strate n uprite look me over. but don bother me wit a sob story or sum bs i done herd it all. doan reely spect much this bein craigs place but what the heck. happy new year.

Marco's lookin for a womenz? :D

Free Mulch

I have mulch that you can have free. All I want is for the mulch to be spread out in the area of the flower bed between the rocks and you can have the remainder of the mulch for free. If you are interested please email me back. I would guess there is a couple of pickup truck loads dumped in the yard

Spoon,

And no one has picked this up yet?
Gawsh what a deal, just a couple hours of back breaking work and you can have shredded leaves and twigs of your own. LOL

Back