Craigslist splitter score!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loknlod

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I am a happy camper as of right now. I checked CL the other day and found a DR 6 ton electric splitter for sale. I was lucky enough to be the first caller (people calling him with offers within the next 5 minutes) and he held it long enough for me to get it. I had been looking for one of these a few months back but they were nowhere to be found.

I do not have a garage or heated shed of any kind so I brought it into the house to check it over and warm it up. Split a few of my tougher rounds right in the entry with no problem, can't wait until spring to start splitting next years supply of wood. :clap:

..and don't let the wife catch you splitting wood in the house..

:givebeer:

Steve

Not unless you have her working it too.

I sure don't miss those questioning looks or the looks that could kill too.

You know the one where they squint and glare and you see her working out just how much rat poison it would take to make the mess quit happening.

Not unless you have her working it too.

I sure don't miss those questioning looks or the looks that could kill too.

You know the one where they squint and glare and you see her working out just how much rat poison it would take to make the mess quit happening.

My wife threatens me with green Jello! She read an article some years ago about some woman that poisoned her husband with antifreeze mixed in green jello, took almost a year to build up enough poison in his system to kill him off.
Now my wife when irritated mentions that she might have to get some "green Jello" if I dont knock it off.

She is cool with it being in the house for now. She actually didn't even ask when I was going to take it back outside. If she should happen to stub her toe against it, I'm sure it would end up outside very quickly. Maybe I'll just keep in inside for another day or 2.:popcorn:

Question for you electrical savvy people out there. Owners manual says to use an extension cord that is 12 gauge and no longer than 33 feet. I understand this much but here is my problem.

I would like to get electricity to the splitter 50 to 75 feet away from my power outlet. What are some of your thoughts on how to accomplish this without damage to the splitter motor and no generator?

Question for you electrical savvy people out there. Owners manual says to use an extension cord that is 12 gauge and no longer than 33 feet. I understand this much but here is my problem.

I would like to get electricity to the splitter 50 to 75 feet away from my power outlet. What are some of your thoughts on how to accomplish this without damage to the splitter motor and no generator?

I think for a longer run you'd have to go to a higher gauge wire (e.g. 10 ga).

Suppose to get a heavier gauge cord BUT, I split @ 4 cord of wood with a 100 ft cord 12 gauge cord with no problems. I am not sure about the DR tho, if the motor stays on all the time then I would get a 10 gauge.
Mine has a on cycle button and had no problems with cord over heating. Hell my pool pump is 1 1/2hp and run a 50ft 12 gauge cord no problems.

The wire might not over heat if the gauge is too small, but it might (will) rob the motor of some power. I'd use a 10 ga. extension cord if I were going to run 50 to 75 feet.

The wire might not over heat if the gauge is too small, but it might (will) rob the motor of some power. I'd use a 10 ga. extension cord if I were going to run 50 to 75 feet.

Gotta second that one. Just because the cord isnt hot doesnt mean that the motor isnt being robbed and shortening the life of the motor. Why risk good equipement for the sake of a 50 dollar extension cord? Take a look at this chart, it will help you decide how big you need for the length of cord that you need.Your amp rating should be on the motor rating plate.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

DR sells 10-gauge 50-foot heavy-duty extension cord that it says it's engineers "approve" for use with its electric splitters.

I have a DR 6-ton and use a 10-gauge 50-foot cord because my ideal splitting location is about 35 feet away from the outdoor outlet. No problems.

Extension cord

Thanks for the comments and ideas.:cheers: I have 120.7 volts at the outlet and according to the chart I should drop to about 119 volts with 50 ft. of 10 gauge extension cord.

The owners manual says to use 110-120v power supply so I'm guessing the 1.5 volt dropped with the long extension isn't a big deal. If anyone has different thoughts, I'd love to hear them. The tag on the motor says 120v/60Hz.

I did measure the amount of extension I need and it comes to right at 50' so a good quality 10 gauge 50' cord should put me in business. Thanks again. :givebeer:

Thanks for the comments and ideas.:cheers: I have 120.7 volts at the outlet and according to the chart I should drop to about 119 volts with 50 ft. of 10 gauge extension cord.

The owners manual says to use 110-120v power supply so I'm guessing the 1.5 volt dropped with the long extension isn't a big deal. If anyone has different thoughts, I'd love to hear them. The tag on the motor says 120v/60Hz.

I did measure the amount of extension I need and it comes to right at 50' so a good quality 10 gauge 50' cord should put me in business. Thanks again. :givebeer:

Need to see if the equipment tag has the amperage requirement on it, especially the staring or surge current. That's where the lighter cords will getcha!

Steve

Equipment tag

Need to see if the equipment tag has the amperage requirement on it, especially the staring or surge current. That's where the lighter cords will getcha!

Steve

The tag says 120v/60Hz, 1.8hp, 15Amp and 3450 rpm. I suppose I could shoot it with an rpm gun while in use to see the rpm also.

The tag says 120v/60Hz, 1.8hp, 15Amp and 3450 rpm. I suppose I could shoot it with an rpm gun while in use to see the rpm also.

project89sho hit the nail on the head about the amperage. A 10 gauge cord will carry 15 amps 50' no problem.

A good cord can be had from you local favorite big box store.

Latest posts

Back